Home Technical Talk

Maya Snap to Vertices Function -- Movement along 1 plane?

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
TheDjinn polycounter lvl 7
Hello all! I'm having a bit of trouble with Maya's Snap feature. Is there an easy way to make the Snap to Vertexes tool snap only movement along 1 plane? As it is, if I have a cylinder cut out of one face of an object and want to match the vertices on the other side, it not only aligns them in the right shape, but also connects them to the vertices on the opposite edge.

Thanks in advance!

-The Djinn

Replies

• Grimm_Wrecking
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grimm_Wrecking polycounter lvl 8
    I'm not entirely sure what you're asking.

If you want to move it along a single axis, just hold v and select the axis manipulator you want to move, blue to move along z, red for x, yellow for y. That will snap in only one direction.

If you're wanting to move them in multiple axis and not loose their shape, open the movement tool setting and turn on "retain component spacing".
  • kodde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 19
    You can hold down V or click the vertex snap. Then it's just a matter of selecting the right axis.

I'm supposing you also want to orient the gizmo so the axises are aligned according to a certain plane?

Double click the move tool toolbar button, which should bring up options for the movetool. Use the "set to edge" for instance to orient the gizmo along an edge you specify.

GL