Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Environmental Design

Hey everyone. I was recommended to join this great community by an awesome environmental. I'm currently a senior graduating in 10 days with my first degree (BFA in Game Art and design). I'm looking to get into environmental design. I love creating game spaces the portray and mood and have nice atmosphere.

I come for advice. Looking around I've seem some amazing and inspirational works posted by others and I would really love some feedback on some work. Both scenes were put together in the Unreal Development kit.

Below is my in progress Demo reel and 2 screen shots from the reel.

Look forward to what advice you guys have for me and being part of this awesome community.

In Progress Reel http://jarlanperez.com/portfolio/New_Reel_progress.wmv

EN_TTravel_001.jpg

EN_Closed_Entrance.jpg

Replies

• raul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    Nice work!! Good luck on graduating! :)
  • Axios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Axios polycounter lvl 10
    Well there's some decent stuff here, but tone down the intensity of those light shafts. They're really overbearing and distract from the work you did. Also, change your music choice to something less intense; it's not helping you.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    nice but could be better quite easily...

your baked in lighting has some issues (im guessing its baked), too much black for starters you need to limit that to your darkest corners,

your SSAO is too strong limit it a little more, as the artifacts are a bit obvious.

the env with the hanging plants is lit really weird... the shadows on the ground are really lacking in contrast while the lighting on trees etc are really contrasted

i think youve got a little bit carried away with the postfx...keep them a touch subtler they do create atmosphere...but too strong and they jar and detract from the scene

for starters your blooming the entire screen...bloom the brightest stuff only

the lightrays are too strong and coloured wrong, to be this strong you would need to be in a really misty scene which your is not... also try introducing subtler shades ( possibly light blue and yellow) through fog and lightrays this will add tonal variation...

other notes...
    the uplighting on the shelves completely jars
    the waters edge needs some plant or a decent beach/texture atm it just looks gamey
  • JarlanPerez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @raul Thank you :D

@Axios awesome thanks a lot for the input I want to get this presentable for potential employers.

@SHEPEIRO I really do appreciate you taking the time to go through and point out all the things that can be fixed. That's the exact sort of thing that I was looking for. For the foresty level I still as you mentioned have a good amount of work to do on the lighting.

I'll get to work on all this an see how much I can push for this time frame. I'll post up some progress shots as I get areas cleaned up. :D
  • CactusFantastico
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CactusFantastico polycounter lvl 12
    its all looking great so far, love the epic music haha
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    told you these guys are awesome Jarlan.. :D Good luck with graduation and the job search!
  • JarlanPerez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @CactusFantastico Thank you very much :)

@Jeremy Yea they are! In just a few post I received some amazing feedback. Thank you so much for pointing me here. Looks like a great community to be a part of.
  • TheMadArtist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheMadArtist polycounter lvl 12
    One thing I'll add on top of what others have said is in your reel, I'd have the camera always be moving. At the moment you have the camera start from a dead stop, pan around, slow to a complete stop, then cut to another scene. I'd edit out the first second at the beginning and end of those clips so the camera is always moving. I think it'd make it a bit more cinematic than the way you have it now with the typical "cg camera on a path, slow in and out" edit. Very cool work!
  • JarlanPerez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheMadArtist Thank you very much. I'll definitely add that on to the to do list :D so much to do so little time hehe