Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

gun modeling help

dansher
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
dansher polycounter lvl 8
hey all
iv been trying to start modeling hand guns(well any guns really) so far im not doing to well.

im going to start another one now, was thinking of modeling a Parabellum-Pistole (luger) because of its fairly simple looking shape

ref pic
http://cdn.most-expensive.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/expensive-handgun.jpg

i was wondering if anyone could give me some tips, mostly where to start

cheers,
dan

Replies

• Moosey_G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cylidners and planes are usually my base. BTW, the hardest part is starting and finding a part of the gun that's easiest is what I've found.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    I usually start by box modeling out the major forms (And i start from the bottom of the handle) and some silhouette modifying details, and save the rest for the high poly. You don't have to keep it one full object either just to let you know.

Just try your best and keep us updated and we'll guide you the best we can. Im somewhat knew to gun creation myself and it took me a couple weeks to get used to low and high poly, and a couple more to get everything down to the point where i can pretty much tackle almost any gun i can model

Have you followed racer's weapon tutorial? I suggest you do, its a great tutorial. http://racer445.com/
  • dansher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @moosey, thanks man i thought cylinders would come in handy, iv already blocked out the barrel not that that means much seeing how it is just a cylinder lol

@frell thanks man ill check out that tut now, i did follow one by chris tate on cg tuts for making an rpg(http://cg.tutsplus.com/tutorials/3d-art/model-a-high-poly-rpg-rocket-launcher-in-3ds-max-day-1/) but i havent found a good one for guns so ill check that one out now.
    lol the handle is the bit im least looking forward to, i was going to save it for last :)

for now im just making the high polly, havnt really got the hang of the high/low modelling yet, thought i would just make a highpoly model, havnt really figured out texturing yet either lol
  • Wyldcard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah racers tutorial on making an AK is legend, I downloaded the massive 3Gb video for it and it helps sooooooo much. You can see his workflow, techniques and racer is pretty funny.

CHOMP CHOMP!
  • dansher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wyldcard wrote: »
    Yeah racers tutorial on making an AK is legend, I downloaded the massive 3Gb video for it and it helps sooooooo much. You can see his workflow, techniques and racer is pretty funny.

CHOMP CHOMP!

yeah 3gigs a bit big i might have to download it over night on off peak usage lol
  • dansher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    any idea what the best thing to make the handle out of would be? i was thinking plane but im not sure
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    Box to get the shape, then chamfer the edges to get it rounded like a handle
  • Tea Monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tea Monster polycounter lvl 14
    Plane or cube. I've not seen racer's original tut (I'm watching his sci-fi cart as I'm typing :D ) so I don't know how much detail it goes into on modelling. Maybe it would be better to grab a really basic tutorial on gun modelling first. Follow that, get your head around modelling and get comfortable with that before you try to dive into the whole next-gen thing.

What program are you using?
  • dansher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    im using 3ds max

i made this use the tut i mentioned above
    rpg.jpg
  • dansher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok so i thought maybe i should start with something a bit simpler

this is a very early start on a an m79 grenade launcher (thumper)

thumper.jpg