Replies

• StickFigs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StickFigs polycounter lvl 6
    Boylee wrote: »
    Go grab this little app.

Source: http://www.wunderboy.org/sourceapps.php

It will dump a list of the texture files that a tf2 model uses. If you find the watch model in the GCF files and extract it, then run the texture info tool you should be able to find the relevant vtf and vmt files. Then you can examine said texture files and deduce how they work.

Well I already know that the gauge isn't part of the model at all, I ran that little application just to double-check and none of the materials it dumped had anything to do with the gauge.

I suspect that the gauge is rendered in-game separately from the watch model and probably attaches its self to one of the bones in the watch model or something like that.

The real problem is that I have no idea if this is how it works for sure and if it is the case will I be able to render the gauge on both clock faces and will I be able to adjust the gauge's size/style?

This is a real pain in the ass...
  • Mico27
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've made a custom watch for the contest, here's what I found:

in GCFScape open the team fortress material gcf and go to tf-materials-vgui

As of now there are only 2 type of gauge for the watch and those are hard coded ingame so you can't create new one. HOWEVER you can edit them.

look in the path said above for the vtf and vmt named: flagtime_empty, flagtime_full, pocket_watch_BG and pocket_watch_FG

also open the team fortress content gcf and go to tf-scripts-screens
    you'll see .res file named pda_spy_invis and pda_spy_invis_pocket

and finally you can also edit the position of the bones attachement in the qc file:

$attachment "controlpanel0_ll" "bottom_left" -0.80 0.55 0.00 rotate 0.00 -0.00 0.00
    $attachment "controlpanel0_ur" "top_right" -0.50 0.85 0.00 rotate 0.00 0.00 0.00
  • StickFigs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mico27 wrote: »
    I've made a custom watch for the contest, here's what I found:

in GCFScape open the team fortress material gcf and go to tf-materials-vgui

As of now there are only 2 type of gauge for the watch and those are hard coded ingame so you can't create new one. HOWEVER you can edit them.

look in the path said above for the vtf and vmt named: flagtime_empty, flagtime_full, pocket_watch_BG and pocket_watch_FG

also open the team fortress content gcf and go to tf-scripts-screens
    you'll see .res file named pda_spy_invis and pda_spy_invis_pocket

and finally you can also edit the position of the bones attachement in the qc file:

$attachment "controlpanel0_ll" "bottom_left" -0.80 0.55 0.00 rotate 0.00 -0.00 0.00
    $attachment "controlpanel0_ur" "top_right" -0.50 0.85 0.00 rotate 0.00 0.00 0.00

Thanks for the tips man I'll get on this right away.

I think this is kind of stupid though how Valve expects people to make content for them when they don't document ANYTHING on top of not releasing any useful source files for modeling items.

EDIT: Does this mean I can only have one gauge on my model if it's all hard coded?
  • StickFigs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think I'm done with the modeling part of the Pair-A-Clocks, except animation which I am having a lot of trouble with.

IF ANYONE COULD HELP ME WITH ANIMATION FOR WEAPON MODELS OR KNOWS WHERE I COULD GO TO GET HELP WITH ANIMATION FOR WEAPON MODELS PLEASE LET ME KNOW! :)

Anyways, the near-final model looks like this:

taown9.jpg

This is what is what I want the draw animation to look like:

rur9l5.gif

It could probably work with the old hand animations from the Dead Ringer and the only changes that would need to be made would be to 1) Move/resize the gauge 2) Have it open sideways rather than downwards like the Dead Ringer 3) The top clock face has to rotate while parented to the lid like in the animation above

Other than that it's the same size/shape and it's held the same as the Dead Ringer so it shouldn't be too hard for someone who knows how to do this stuff already.

AGAIN, I WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE ANY HELP WITH ANIMATING/IMPORTING ANIMATIONS FOR SOURCE SO I CAN MAKE THE CONTEST DEADLINE!
  • DeadBull
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking really good, you should name one of the clocks Valve Time.
  • StickFigs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Don't all volunteer at once!
  • Buck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thing is you cant really open up old animations, they are usually all broken. Should definitely ask Sparkwire, he has a spy rig set up and everything, i'm sure he could do this thing!
  • Djokson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah but there's only one day left and he's working on his own submission now.
  • StickFigs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Welp. Thanks for the source animations Valve OH... WAIT....

If I don't somehow figure this animation shit out before the deadline I'm just going to send the shit without animations and tell Valve to fucking figure it out themselves.
  • NigelzX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StickFigs wrote: »
    Welp. Thanks for the source animations Valve OH... WAIT....

If I don't somehow figure this animation shit out before the deadline I'm just going to send the shit without animations and tell Valve to fucking figure it out themselves.

Geez dude... It's just one contest. I entered but didn't get to work on my stuff at all. Be happy you got some experience out of it :D
  • StickFigs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NigelzX wrote: »
    Geez dude... It's just one contest. I entered but didn't get to work on my stuff at all. Be happy you got some experience out of it :D

I'm not upset, I love wasting hours making shit for a huge megacorporation only to discover that they never really made it possible for me to complete it.
  • StickFigs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    All done! Updated the OP with a new faux-update jpeg!
  • Khthon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great job StickFigs, especially the draw animation on the watch. Just thought of something neat, what if there was a couple stamp graphics players could choose from, so there was a bit of customization when you poison stamp people? Oh well, beyond our pay grade, but just a thought.

Good luck! :)
  • StickFigs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Khthon wrote: »
    Great job StickFigs, especially the draw animation on the watch. Just thought of something neat, what if there was a couple stamp graphics players could choose from, so there was a bit of customization when you poison stamp people? Oh well, beyond our pay grade, but just a thought.

Good luck! :)

Well my idea was that it could just stamp whatever your spray is so you would be able to pick whatever graphic you wanted.
  • Khthon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very neat idea, but I think it might be hard to implement with animated sprays.
  • CProductions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really hope that the fans can vote, because I'd vote for this one.
    So the Pair-A-Clocks makes a clone on damage, and the hat does nothing. What about the Curb-Stamp? Does it poison the target, or is it just a knife reskin (I hate reskins).
  • StickFigs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really hope that the fans can vote, because I'd vote for this one.
    So the Pair-A-Clocks makes a clone on damage, and the hat does nothing. What about the Curb-Stamp? Does it poison the target, or is it just a knife reskin (I hate reskins).

In the post under the main post of this thread I wrote up all the proposed item functions that I included in the notes when I sent them off to Valve.