Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Pillar/Column

I started this small project as a test into sculpting architecture in zbrush.... but then I remembered how much zbrush makes me rage! So in the end the majority of the normal map was created by hand in photoshop.

I started this without any proper design or concept, all I had in my mind was an image of some form of middle eastern architecture. This is still a wip but I welcome and would appreciate any critiques and specifically any suggestions relating to colour as I'm struggling to find a suitable pallet.

20600491.jpg
72657582.jpg

Replies

• SaferDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SaferDan polycounter lvl 14
    I am liking the pillar!

i don't think the green is working it reminds me of of China and their green marble, as for a different colour im not sure maybe red?

i am currently making a cathedral and i too am doing columns!

I have a question! Is it the "right way" to sculpt it in zbrush when making dercoration on columns or is it just as acceptable to make them in photoshop?
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    I think that one of the things you should work on is increasing the silhouette to make it a little more interesting as currently its pretty plain.
    Also, while you have have loads of really small intricate details, the form of the whole piece is a little lacking due to the fact that there is no real large detail to support the smaller stuff.
    Always try to build up to the finer stuff after creating a solid foundation. :) (Large detail> medium detail> small detail etc.)

Try to push and pull more geo., dig into the mesh more and learn ZBrush...it wont take you that long, you just have to be patient. :)

You will always get a better normal map from sculpted geo. on something like this, rather than using CB or the like as usually those sort of programs are mainly used for adding extra detail.

I did a bunch of ZBrush timelapses a few months back for my fountain asset (link in sig)...maybe they would help?

http://vimeo.com/10913862
    http://vimeo.com/10912320
    http://vimeo.com/10912421

:)
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    green works with the rest of your colours, but not the green you choose, in RTL alot of greens in arab architecture were glazed so you woul dneed a richer deep green and it will work with the stone colour too if you make it paler

from an old project i did a while back using similar colours
    pillar
    pillar
    pillar
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think the maps being used are too big, the patterns too small and detailed and they aren't reading well at a medium depth let alone at a distance. Even up close its pretty noisy =/

If this was a game asset you really need to be worried about how its going to mip map.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    What Vig said. It's too noisy/busy.
  • OX14
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all the feedback. I was tempted to just start this one again... but iv stuck with it and decided the first thing I needed to do was fix the silhouette. Below is the before and after (or after and before in this case).

gemcom.jpg
    silcom.jpg

Any suggestions on how to improve this further?

@metalliandy: Thanks for the links to those vids, really helps just being able to watch someone else work and how they go about completing a similar task.

@SHEPEIRO: The images you linked look great, its really inspired me to continue this arabic theme.

For the normal map + patterns, do you suggested I use fewer bigger patterns? rather than go into fine detail?
  • Lanisaz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As much I love detail I have to step back at times and deal with the larger picture of things. From the looks of the first few renders you posted I'd say you're on the right track there, some larger shapes and forms in terms of texture might be a nice break up in places.
    If not, you may risk running into 'Argh my Eyes!' as there's so Much to take in at first glance.

Most Arabic pillars etc are highly decorated, but I'd probably scale up some of the patterns a touch nonetheless to keep it from becoming too crunched up and heavy.

Loving the new look of the pillar however, its new silhouette is lovely! :D
  • OX14
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I agree. I do love all the small detail, but I think it will cause a painful eye twitch if I over do the detail. So with the normal map patterns im simply going to scale up the detail instead.

Iv done a quick paint over in photoshop.

goldcq.jpgblackt.jpg

Im unsure whether to use gold or black trims. I think the black trims look better at the top but I feel the gold works well in the middle and bottom. Any suggestions?
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    Lanisaz wrote: »

Most Arabic pillars etc are highly decorated, but I'd probably scale up some of the patterns a touch nonetheless to keep it from becoming too crunched up and heavy.

i would say this would only be the case if you dont follow the style of these arabic designs well enough...alot of their architecture is patterns heavy but is nicely complemented by areas of stucco and plain plasterwork...esp on complex shapes you will often find they use muted colours and let the forms do the talking
  • Lanisaz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO wrote: »
    i would say this would only be the case if you dont follow the style of these arabic designs well enough...alot of their architecture is patterns heavy but is nicely complemented by areas of stucco and plain plasterwork...esp on complex shapes you will often find they use muted colours and let the forms do the talking

Well said :) I never went too in depth with it, but indeed. There you have it!

As for the colors, why not try a combination? Either black filling with slim gold edges or perhaps even a reverse. Try out multiple color variations until you find something you feel fits your scene just right!