Home Technical Talk

TF2 hat problem, please help?

Hi,

I've been playing around trying to make some custom hats for TF2. Unfortunately I've hit a stumbling block...

I can make the hat, texture it and get it into game without any problems.

Unfortunately when in game the hat clips through itself as shown in the below pictures:

skingm.jpg
This is how the hat looks when rendered in 3DS max but when I use it in game, this happens:
ctf2fort0008.jpg
ctf2fort0007r.jpg
ctf2fort0005l.jpg

I apologise that I have no clue of what I'm doing.

Can anybody tell me why this is happening or how to fix it? I don't know what I'm doing wrong...

Any help is gratefully recieved

Replies

• 3DRyan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3DRyan polycounter lvl 8
    Maybe it's a normals issue? Go into your 3d app and view the normals. They should all be pointing outwards, away from the model. If you don't know much about normals, try googling it, and you'll find some stuff on it.
  • Brettthefirst
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the reply dude,

I had no idea what normals were so I did google. After a while of working out I've tried playing with them and nothing is seeming to make a difference.
    I've tried flipping them, moving certain groups that may have been clipping to face another direction and nothing is making any difference to the issue.

I'm entirely stumped :/

Any ideas? Anyone?
  • Moosey_G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Try to unify the normals without the hassle of finding out which ones are flipped, I think max has a normals modifier.
  • Brettthefirst
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Problem fixed, sorry to trouble you all and thanks for your help.

Turns out that the VTF editor had translucent checked by default (?!)

Unchecking the box and recompiling fixed the issue.

Thanks anyway guys :)