Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP viking.

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
a viking i've been modeling on and off for a while now.

viking.jpg

going to add a seax and sword, and work a lot more on the texture.
i'm also thinking about redoing the normal map for the leg wrappings, and improving the
topology of the cloth on the arms. and i'm going to redo the hands.

and going to add this axe:

vikingaxe.jpg

and quick space marine helmet:
spacemarine.jpg

Replies

• MainManiac
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    I love the viking!!! whered you get the chainmail texture?
  • dejawolf
    Offline / Send Message
    made it from this pic:
    Valsgarde%20helmet%20replica.jpg
  • dejawolf
    Offline / Send Message
    did some more tinkering with the viking.

viking.jpg
  • StephenVyas
    Offline / Send Message
    StephenVyas polycounter lvl 18
    Looks good, tho it looks like a brand new hallowe'en costume, since he's never used his equipment before

Bloodstains, axemarks, viking symbols would help add that extra umph
  • dejawolf
    Offline / Send Message
    the bag:
    i tried my best to make the bag look worn,
    but from a distance it just turns into near uniform brown.

vikingbag.jpg

seax is gonna get more love. same with the shield. i'm also thinking about making cuts in the cloth in various places.
  • shotgun
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    The cloth and skin feel very real, I thought this was a ref-pic at first glance. Ur thumb's too short, tho.
    The bag does lack the worn-out look of the cloth, even from cloth-up. U'll need more color variation for realism and killing that pure silver-white stuff up-close.
  • StealthSilver
    The shield doesn't really match it at this point. I can't tell if it is made of wood or metal. If metal, perhaps change the ring around to grey, shiny steel to match the chainmail. Also, replace the orange circle on the shield with some sort of house or family iconography, and give it a bunch of arrow holes.
  • woody_294
    Very nice textures! Been looking at this for a bit now because I really like it, the weathering on the cloth is nice, maybe the chainmail would wear the material of his garment quite badly, especially with the quality of the dyes in this period. This guy looks like he's got some cash so maybe not, but a few mended links on the chainmail might be nice :)
  • bbob
    as for the leather bag, try making the exposed surfaces lighter, and more blotchy in the specular.. What really helps sell leather is the reflection..
  • Skamberin
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 14
    Me likes. Solid texture work so far. I'd dirty the sleeves and lower parts of the chainmail a lil bit, at the moment the sleeves seem a bit too saturated when next to the chainmail, so a lil dried blood or mead or whatnot might make it blend a little bit more.

As suggested I think you could get away with beating up the leather a little bit more too,especially around the edges.

I feel the cape could use a little more detail too, it looks a little bit too painted in comparison to the rest of the character and I'm not sure what material its made out of.

Nothing else other than that, what plans do you have for the shield? Coat of arms of your county or city? everything at once?

Looking forward to seeing this done :)
  • dejawolf
    Offline / Send Message
    vikingprogress.jpg

some progress.

cape is supposed to be frayed leather.
    shield is covered in painted leather, with rawhide edges.

not happy with the seax hilt or the cape yet. hmm..