Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP - Anatomical NURBS model

Hello, my very first post on this forum :) I'm a first year student over at the International Game Architecture and Design program in Breda, the Netherlands. I'm currently working on the final assignment of this year, a nurbs model of all skeletal muscles of the human body.

I felt like sharing so here it goes, I hope you guys like it :)

grab06.jpg

grab01n.jpg

grab02.jpg

grab03.jpg

grab04.jpg

grab05.jpg

It's still WIP, there are a couple of missing muscles still but I'm hoping to get all of them done by next week somewhere.

Critiques are very welcome, so please do :)

Note: I almost forgot to mention that I did not make the bones myself, I did however assemble them.

Replies

• CGvanHoudt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm sorry for the bump but because my post had to be approved first it got lost on page 3 :(

Here is an update, been working on the lower arm in the past 2 days:

arm02.jpg

armt.jpg

Not finished yet, but it will be in the coming 2 days after which I can focus on finalizing the model hopefully.
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 13
    Looking pretty neat, I've never touched NURBS modeling, seems pretty interesting :) Did you make the skeleton too? Could we get a shot of the skeleton by itself without the muscles?
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    technically impressive but ...
    ... take a front screenshot - compare with reference - fix the proportions - then, do the tendons!
    not the other way around ...
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    I agree with pior. It's nice, but there are a TON of proportion issues here. I would have worked on getting the proportions perfect, then moving onto muscles and tendons. Right now I get the feeling it will be too long and tedious to get the proportions fixed. It's nice to see some nurbs modelling, but isn't it sort of... obsolete nowadays? I can't say for sure, I started 3D after quads took over nurbs...
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hehe Prophecies, Nurbs actually are super powerful for certain things. Granted, for a muscle study its not the most flexible but for mechanical things they can be just fantastic.

Whats obsolete is ... working on details before working on the the big picture. Or at least it should be obsolete by now hehe.

To the OP : dont hesitate to throw stuff out of the window and start over ... its very rewarding afterwards when you compare the before and after.

Good luck!
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    Interesting. I've never ever worked with nurbs, I find them super complicated. I'll have to look up mechanical nurb modelling. Sounds interesting.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, if you have access to max I would recommend trying the PowerNurbs demo. Thats what I am playing with at the moment, its very good.
  • CGvanHoudt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for your critiques :)
    Skamberin wrote: »
    Looking pretty neat, I've never touched NURBS modeling, seems pretty interesting :) Did you make the skeleton too? Could we get a shot of the skeleton by itself without the muscles?

No I didn't, the bones were provided by school and are made by students who are in the third year now.

Edit: I did assemble the bones myself by the way, which isn't a easy thing to do.

skeletonc.th.jpg

--

And I think NURBS are great for muscle study, it's the easiest way of modelling all the individual muscles and have them stretch around one another in a natural way. Most deep layer muscles are very easy to build in NURBS also, (the nose cartilage is a placeholder)

detailv.jpg

This is a shot from the front,

frontproportions.jpg
    Prophecies wrote:
    I agree with pior. It's nice, but there are a TON of proportion issues here. I would have worked on getting the proportions perfect, then moving onto muscles and tendons. Right now I get the feeling it will be too long and tedious to get the proportions fixed. It's nice to see some nurbs modelling, but isn't it sort of... obsolete nowadays? I can't say for sure, I started 3D after quads took over nurbs...

I am going to fix the external oblique, make it bit less bulky, and probably widen the biceps brachii a little. What are the other ares you see proportion mistakes in?
    pior wrote:
    technically impressive but ...
    ... take a front screenshot - compare with reference - fix the proportions - then, do the tendons!
    not the other way around ...

I've got most of the tendons in there, but they aren't textured so they have the same color as the muscles. :)
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I believe Pior's point was rather that you shouldn't be doing tendons before your proportions are correct. Start with big things, end with details...
  • CGvanHoudt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah, my bad. The thing is though that the tendons hardly affect the overall proportions, and they are very easy to build in nurbs. And as long as I've got the muscles in the correct position I won't have to change the tendons afterwards either.