Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Mossberg 500 Shotgun

Hey, still kind of new at modeling. I started this model earlier today and figured id post on what I have accomplished today. I have the high poly and low, but the only problem is that in my low poly triangles appear in my renderings where quads are supposed to be. I gave an example of this in the first picture. Id appreciate any help with this problem or any other feedback. :)

SHOTGUN2.jpg?t=1275621628

SHOTGUN3.jpg?t=1275621555
SHOTGUN4.jpg?t=1275621666
shotgun1.jpg?t=1275621692

Replies

• biggest_kid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Im also modeling a mossberg shotgun, though i am modeling the 590, not the 500. The only real major difference being the 590 is the militarised version of the 500.

Umm do you have the specifications for it? I currently cant find any and need the thickness of the stock(part that sits against shoulder), length of the frame and thickness of the frame.

Thanks, and sorry to go off topic in ur WIP thread.
  • Ott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ott polycounter lvl 13
    Knowing what software this is in would be helpful.
  • Fuel500
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am currently using 3ds max 2010.
  • Fuel500
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I figured it out. There was a problem with my smoothing groups. I will post some more pics later once the shotgun is completed.
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bluekangaroo polycounter lvl 13
    Since you're pretty new at this I'd say the best piece of advice I can give is to pay very close attention to your reference. Gather as much as possible and get shots from every single angle. You'll want to pay attention to the silhouette firstly making sure you have the general proportions correct and then work your way down from largest to smallest details.
  • mystichobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mystichobo polycounter lvl 12
    EricV wrote: »
    Since you're pretty new at this I'd say the best piece of advice I can give is to pay very close attention to your reference. Gather as much as possible and get shots from every single angle. You'll want to pay attention to the silhouette firstly making sure you have the general proportions correct and then work your way down from largest to smallest details.

This.

Also, stocks are nowhere near that boxy, Have a look here: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=72252&highlight=stock+modeling+tutorial

It's a tutorial I created for someone on crymod a while back to demonstrate how to make a stock look better and not boxy.
  • Fuel500
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks nice tut!
  • Fuel500
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok I wasnt happy with my old shotgun model so I started a new one. Its still a WIP but I feel that this one is coming along a lot better. Im still not to happy with the handle so I am going to go back and fix that. Also got to add some more floating geometry like screws bolts ect. Let me know what you think.
    shotgun4-1.jpg?t=1276278394shotgun3-1.jpg?t=1276278394shotgun2-1.jpgshotgun.jpgshotgun5.jpg?t=1276278394
  • brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 13
    Post your reference images so we know what it is your trying to recreate.

The handle does look a little weird right now. As well, those indents on the stock, I would probably model those in as opposed to making them floating geo.

Not bad though, keep working :)
  • djm6007
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would have kept the original shotgun and just edit the stock to make it shorter since the real m500 stock is about half the size of yours. As for the tactical shotgun. You did great on the stock! Could it be possible to see different pictures of the stock extended?
  • Fuel500
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is the reference image that I am mainly working from. Also I plan on baking down the floating geometry in the stock to the low rez. Should I still model it in into the high poly? Im trying to follow Racer445's Ak47 tutorial workflow.

klo.jpg
  • an aggressive napkin
    Looks alright. I modeled a 590 Shotgun, and if you would like to take a look at the wires I did, I'll be happy to share them here :) A few places your model seems... Lacking:
    1. Your Receiver ejection port doesn't follow the ref you showed us, It goes up into the curve of the top of the receiver instead of just staying on the side.
    2. Some of your edges seem to have a some shading issues. This is due to poor support edge placement, so post up some wires and i'll be glad to draw on what I mean. This is mostly prominent in the ejection port
    3. Your hand grip is very rounded compared to the ref, It should be very sharp instead of circular
    4. Cocking mechanism should have the indents and if you wanted to be awesome I'd model in that strap :D
    5. On the bottom of the receiver, it should be rounded instead of flat like you have it
    A tip to putting things on curved surfaces, This will definitely help you do your modeling on this gun, sure saved me :D

Basically you want to make the mesh as dense as possible. This will help your support edges ALOT, well actually, they will be your support edges :P
    Top one has edges up in place like they as they would on a flat surface. You do not want to do this on a cylinder because it will create a nasty line in your mesh
    Middle one has no support edge. It hides the line, but creates a bit of pinching that will be annoying in final renders.
    Bottom one, The mesh is very dense as you can see and does not need any supporting edges, and the highlights are perfect.
    Top and middle have a cylinder of 20 sides while the bottom ones has a cylinder with 50.
    You can always go back when creating your lowpoly and delete every few edges. That will make no difference :D Hope to see this fixed up!