Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Coastal shacks WIP - my first env

I'll write a quick intro seeing as I'm pretty new here!

I'm studying game design in the University of Wales, Newport, about to go into my3rd year. Really interested in level design and environment art and would love to be able to make a career out of it!

I've been working on a scene recently based around a set of slums / shacks perched on the edge of a small island. I'm mainly doing this as a portfolio piece and learn about the workflow involved in creating environments for games.

This is the first building I've created that's starting to look finished, was looking for a bit of feedback. It's pretty tri heavy at the moment (58706) I need to go over it and delete un-needed geometry. It's also worth to note that four interior floors that you can walk around in. I've included a few pics of the first building in Unity, I would prefer to render it in UDK but I'm still not 100% confident using it yet and I'm having a few problems importing meshes from maya 2011 to UDK.

I'm wondering where to go next with this, I would like to create a normal map for extra details, like scratches and dents but I'm a little unsure of how to take this model into mudbox.

So crit away :)

81955934.jpg
Interior shot.

42237285.jpg
Top floor and balcony.

40918957.jpg
Close up of the chain and some of the others bits'n'bobs. Bit unsure what the black shade is on the right edge of the fence panels.

81189362.jpg
The scene as whole so you can see where the building sits with the rest of the buildings.

Replies

• DOG-GY
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DOG-GY polycounter lvl 12
    That black shade is smoothing errors. As for the rest of it, the chain seems really high poly in comparison. Also, if you want to have normals then you should probably bring things in piece by piece (any junk laying around). The actual building wouldn't translate well so you're best bet is to make some normals for it with just textures.
  • Peter H
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the advice :) I couldnt for the life of me work out what was causing the smoothing errors (although I have no read up a fair bit on soft/hard edges so that has helped!) I ended up deleting the part causing the problems and re-doing it. No problems so far.

I hadn't thought of creating normals straight from textures for some reason, but i think I'll take you advice and go for that method with the building. Like you said, maybe I'll try some sculpting on the smaller stuff.

I think for the next step I'll try and get some textures on that building, make it a bit more interesting to look at!