Home Technical Talk

how to increase density on mesh only on...

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
On 3dsmax....
Hi do you know how can I do to increase mesh detail only on a specific part of the mesh , more or less like using a turbosmooth or the like but only on a specific part of a mesh? I tried to use that on limited space but usually it creates gaps , and making bevels and chamfers on edges it always messes up my uvmapping , is therre a way to make chamfer or bevel or xtrusions without messing uvmaps?

Replies

• pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    I saw it done very nicely in a Lightwave DVD some time ago.
    http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/store/product/339/The-Secrets-of-Organic-Modeling

It seems like Lightwave has a very simple tool letting one add geometry just where needed.
    Iirc it wasnt something max has, but it was easy to replicate (forgot the exact topology). The inset tool should get you very close, for small groups of faces. For bigger areas, detach what you want to increase the res of, subdivide it, and reattach with smart Y-connections forming quads. Should work well. (I'll diagram it if needed)
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    yeh explain in more detail? I am a little noob here...
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    Wouldn't the 'tessellate' option do this? Or am I missunderstanding your question?
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    Have you tried the HSDS modifier?. you can manually subdivide elements or you can let it subdivide the mesh based on its shape. it'll add more geo to round areas and leave flat areas alone. pretty neat.

so far as preserving UVs gos any opp that changed geo near a uv border usually makes shit of the map. have you tried working with preserve UV's option in the editable poly on? TBH is not really good practice modeling after doing an unwrap. your better off trying to avoid it
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    erm without abbreviations woul dmean?
    Tried hdsd and it made lots of unnecessary quads and also couldnt control the area I wanted , what I would like is just have something that allows me to select edges and make a chamfer but without disrupting the texture uvmap on the mesh...
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    translation.

So far as preserving UV's goes any operation that changes geometry along a uv seam will usually make crap of your unwrapping.

If your modeling within a UV island with no open uv edges then you should enable the
    'preserve UVs' option found under 'edit geometry' in editable poly. this will give you limited leeway to model within your existing UVs.

Good practice would be to model first uv later. Anything else is an up hill battle.
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SpeCter polycounter lvl 14
    Like Ark said u should try to use the tesselation modifier(or tesselation in the right menu itself) on selected Polys you just have to clean up, because it produces ngons around your selection.
    And like fletch said, uv later.
  • catstyle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you can do it in zbrush by dropping to the lowest sub D, masking everything apart from the part you want more dense, then ctrl+D subdivide it

obviously not the best solution for a fine piece of technical modelling, but ideal for organic stuff perhaps

you could always do it that way, then manually clean it up afterwards
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    The Tesselate button in the Edit Geometry rollout will subdivide a specific area. I use it all the time.

tesselate.jpg
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SpeCter polycounter lvl 14
    Yeah racer thats what i meant.This or the modifier