Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] - Robert Kreps - Website

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
TychoVII polycounter lvl 13
Hi guys.

I've finally gotten to that point where I think my work looks good. You know what this means. A good hard slap to the face and kick in the teeth.

I've been out of school almost a year now and haven't done much other than try to get better, but now I need a job. That's not gonna happen without good, hard honesty. If you folks would be so kind as to give my website a couple razor sharp critiques that preferably cut to the bone, I would appreciate it quite a bit. *cringes*

http://www.robertkreps.com

I'm hoping to get the environment section filled over the course of the next few weeks.

Also quick question: How do you guys feel about seeing environments that are mostly custom made art, but use a few of Epic's UDK meshes? I've got an environment that is all custom work except for some giant rock faces used to decorate the landscape. Is that okay? Or should I try to recreate the rocks? They're not exactly the centerpiece of the level. Any thoughts?

Replies

• Progg
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    Looks great. I'll take a better look in the morning. First thing that popped up in my mind was ... wow that blue and yellow decal on the binocular low-poly is wayyyy too saturated for the wear and tear on the rest of it.. More critiques tomorrow.
  • ZacD
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Some personal preference, I like it better if click on a thumb, it loads up all the images relating to that piece, its annoying to have to go back and forth 10 times just to see 5 pictures of a gun from different angles.

You should just note what models are from the UDK, using their stuff if fine.
  • Tea Monster
    Offline / Send Message
    Tea Monster polycounter lvl 13
    I agree that stuff is too all over the place. You would be better to group stuff together. I wanted to see what the wires of the binocs looked like, and I had to hunt around the thumbnails to find it.

The modelling looks great, but I've just started doing this stuff as well, so I'm probably not your best judge.
  • TychoVII
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg - A friend of mine said the same thing. The only reason I didn't act on it is because the binoculars I modeled these after have the same issue. They're a bit dirty and beat up, but the decals are still flawless. But, now that two people have pointed it out, I think I'm going to rough them up. Screw the reference!

ZacD/Tea Monster - That's a good idea. I think I'll work on that today.

Thanks for the help guys!
  • GarageBay9
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
    Holy crap! Somebody did a real, honest-to-god AR10!

I think I love you.
  • BradMyers82
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Nice work man! High polys look great. I think you could play around with some of the textures more tho to really make them feel right. For example on your AR10 that first shot has a close up of the stock and the texture looks sort of stretched (uvs?) and there are weird things going on with black lines. Also I think the specular is making it a tad on the noisey side. Looks like you made a grey grunge pass, and you should probably dial that down a bit in your spec. Remember, with guns subtlety is the key. (I admittedly went overboard myself with the kriss, but that's old as hell now, and I should fix that, heh.)

Also, I think the red looks a bit too bright, and possibly oversatured. I would have to see your reference to say for sure tho.

Again, great work man. Just get your textures on par with your high poly, and your set. See racers tutorial for reference: http://cg.tutsplus.com/tutorials/3d-art/how-to-hand-paint-convincing-metal-textures/
  • TychoVII
    Offline / Send Message
    UPDATE

Just got done making some big changes that you guys were suggesting about the site layout and I think it's working a ton better. Thanks for your input guys :D

GarageBay9 - Haha thanks dude. I didn't want to make another Ak47 or M4 since there's a million of em out there. I wanted to find a cool weapon that I hadn't seen done before. Luckily I managed to find just enough reference for the AR-10 to make it happen.

BradMyers82 - Yeah I know what you mean about the textures. It was my first gun and I tried really hard to get the textures right, but I'm sure I still made plenty of noobish mistakes. I know I still have a lot to learn when it comes to getting the right feel down for certain materials. I also need to start weening myself off of photosourcing a bit more.

Btw it's funny you linked me to Racer's tutorial because I watched his AK74 tut right before making the AR10. His work is amazing.

Here's the link to my original posting of the AR-10, including the reference I used:

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66181&highlight=armalite
  • Progg
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    TychoVII wrote: »
    Progg - A friend of mine said the same thing. The only reason I didn't act on it is because the binoculars I modeled these after have the same issue. They're a bit dirty and beat up, but the decals are still flawless. But, now that two people have pointed it out, I think I'm going to rough them up. Screw the reference!

ZacD/Tea Monster - That's a good idea. I think I'll work on that today.

Thanks for the help guys!

It's not so much the wear on them... its the saturation levels of the blue and yellow in the texture.
  • ZacD
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I really dig the new layout, and the site looks good.
  • Autocon
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Nice looking site and work is nice too.

Remove the Environment Art section from your website since you have 0. It gives the impression that you have less work/cant complete work having a bunch of empty frames. Better off just having your props.
  • TychoVII
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD - Thanks :)

Autocon - Don't worry I'll be getting stuff in the environment section soon enough. Hopefully get a bunch of a props made over the next few weeks.
  • Snader
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    In the meanwhile, just get rid of it, save the snippet of code in a *.txt if you have to. It just looks weird this way.
  • EMC3D
    Offline / Send Message
    EMC3D polycounter lvl 7
    I was just wondering, how did you make your background not tile when you scroll down vertically?
  • Snader
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Mr Bear wrote: »
    I was just wondering, how did you make your background not tile when you scroll down vertically?

http://www.w3schools.com/css/tryit.asp?filename=trycss_background-attachment
  • EMC3D