Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP Hand painted textures

hey guys

I've gone back to an old project I started when I was training which is an old water well. I originally had photographic based textures on it but the bucket was very painterly which my tutor thought was a good look .... ssoooo i'm hand painting the whole thing now.

All has been going fine but i'm seriously struggling to get the shingle tiles for the roof looking good

any suggestions/general crit???

4662537331_0a62fc8c95_b.jpg

(it's kinda big >_< bad planning on my part)

Thanks guys!

Replies

• Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    this doesn't look hand painted. it looks like you masked out a bunch of shapes and applied a drop shadow.

get in there with a brush and actually paint what you want.

color variation looks pretty good shingle to shingle, but the actual shingle itself is one solid color with a texture overlay on it. is this old and dilapidated? would there be weathering, stains, cracks, sun bleaching? or maybe there'd be lichen and moss growing all over it? was it ever painted?

it's a fine start, but that's all it is. a start. get in there and make it awesome

edit: here's a super quick paintover. obviously, i'm not sure what kind of style you're going for, so i went with a more generic sort of 'painted' look. you can push the highlights a lot more if you want a more torchlight look, or get rid of them for a bit more realistic, etc etc

i think a lot of your shingles are a bit too haphazardly placed. generally i don't think they'd overlap too much horizontally. i tried to tone that down and make them sitting next to each other. i squared them up a bit more and added more vertical cracks. grabbed some random colors and laid them down - don't be afraid of color, it's easy to tone it back down. but even if you cover it back up 95%, it'll add a lot of subtle interest.

hope this sparks some ideas on what you could do with it!

ballooncitypaintover.jpg
  • ballooncity247
    thanks for the feedback, totally right about how it looks. Kind of annoyed at myself that I didn't do it like that but thats the effect that it gives =S (faillllll) doesn't help i had my highlights layer turned off (double fail!) ... not that it makes it look much better lol

but thanks for the heads up about the overlap, I didn't want it too look too pristine but I guess I went a litttttllleee over board =P

I've got a lot of learning about painting, use of colour etc to do
  • Visceral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Does anyone have the links to thoose hanpaint tutorial threads, it love to try them out for myself.
  • crazyfingers
  • duxun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    awesome tut....
  • Eyesack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eyesack polycounter lvl 9
    That tut kicks ass!
  • Rated Rrr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rated Rrr polycounter lvl 17
    r.clik >save as...how have i not seen this yet.

Also agree that needs some grit to it/variation. Looking forward to an update.
  • skylebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skylebones polycounter lvl 10
    Heres a tut I made a whole ago. It's based on creating a stone texture, but the general idea is still there. Hope it helps.

http://www.smileybones.com/?page_id=316
  • ballooncity247
    4666734296_a48a644ef8.jpg

I feel I need to redeem myself a little so I'm giving everyone a quick update

Think I'm gonna take a crack or two out of the second tile but was just messing around to see how things would look

I'm also gonna reduce the canvas size down and making it for a higher amount of repetition, basically meaning less tiles for me to detail since the current size id going to take a LONG time since I'm a total slowpoke ^_^
  • ballooncity247
    Just incase anyone was interested in seeing what happened to my texturing fiasco...

4928777225_65aae08ce3.jpg
    well render by ballooncity247, on Flickr
  • dur23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dur23 polycounter lvl 19
    That's a great improvement on what you started with. Fantastic even.

A couple things jump out at me about the well. Firstly, and this is just a personal preference, i usually like to use almost 0 3d lighting on hand painted textures. Mostly because the geometry isn't dense enough to handle the lighting and the Gouraud shading. And it also takes away from the hand painted lighting. Example would be the shadows of the shingles. Usually people like to use a standard lambert with the texture plugged into diffuse, but cranking the self-illumination up to around 90% making the gouraud shading less intense.

Secondly, i would tighten up the rocks for the well. There shapes and and depth almost seem non existent. They look kind of "painted" on.
    Here's a good ref: http://www.culver.lib.in.us/gallery_lake/other/stone_well_lake_photo_taber_1950s.jpg

Hope that helps.
  • Saiainoshi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saiainoshi polycounter lvl 9
    Textures look great so far! I'm not sure how far along you are with this, but I would definitely start thinking about painting the lighting into the texture. Also, I would add a bit of color to your textures, they're looking pretty monochromatic. I just did a paintover for someone else as to how to add more color into your textures. Keep up the good work!

New layer, paint with 20% opacity, set layer to overlay and use BRIGHT colors like:
    paintover5.jpg
  • BlvdNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BlvdNights polycounter lvl 8
    Really good improvement. Completely unrelated to the textures, but I wish the model was better and the textures fit better on it. IE: The way the roof texture kind of wraps around and falls off. Also the stretching on the well structure.
  • Hoopla!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hoopla! polygon
    getting a lot better, way to go and keep it up.