Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP - Humvee

Hey guys, first time posting at Polycount. This is a model I'm working on for my portfolio development class at the Art Institute of California Los Angeles, a game res Humvee with normal map from a high poly model. I've taken some liberties with the traditional Humvee design, most notably with the wheels and the vents on the rear hatch. Also am deciding on if I wanna include the shields on the turret or not. Right now my low poly is done (at about 6500 polys, give or take a few), and I'm still fiddling with some details on the high poly before I do the normal map. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

progress07.jpg

progress09.jpg

progress11.jpg

progress12.jpg

Replies

• Amadreaus
    The model's looking good as far as shape and the gun is pretty slick. I dig the way you did the tires, although they do look overinflated, mostly because the curve on them is extremely pronounced. The tread is nice though.

I like the turret and shield as well, I think it's a good focal point to the vehicle and will be a great opportunity for some fun texturing.

The only thing I really am not in love with is that large pipe coming up from behind the door. I see it on about 35 percent of the humvee ref that I'm getting on a quick little search. Even some military-rigged ones have it, but it makes it look less military and more civilian SUV. But, that's just preference so take it or leave it :P Overall, you're doing a great job so keep chuggin along.
  • deep_striker
    Thanks man. Yeah I originally modeled the stock Humvee tires from photo reference, but when I put it on the Humvee itself it just looked really dinky. It might have been the way I modeled them but I decided to make something a little more aggressive looking. They do look over inflated though, now that you mention it.
  • Will Faucher
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    Great start. One thing that bugs me are the tires. They seem too round and bloated. The sides should be flatter if I remember correctly. Were you basing them from a reference?
    Also, what is with that messy mesh around the back part of the chassis, next to the spare tire? Looks like something has gone wrong there. Apart from that, I'm looking forward to seeing this develop! Keep it up!
  • Peeeetah
    Offline / Send Message
    Peeeetah polycounter lvl 7
    sup andrew! looks cool man. and yeah dude above me is right. looks like you got some double faces goin on there in the back bumper. also, are the x's on the door all quaded out? or is it just for baking normals? i can see a few ngons here and there.

and i'd go without the turret shields. show off the mechanical details of your gun.
  • Will Faucher
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    When it comes to sub-d modelling, n-gons sometimes actually smooth better than quads depending on the situation. Tri's however tend to cause issues.
  • P442
    Offline / Send Message
    P442 polycounter lvl 8
    agree with everyone about the tires looking like greebled donuts. Rest of the model looks sharp though. Nit picking here, but on the low-poly, the upper headlights have fewer divs than lower headlights, but are larger. And now that I look again one of the upper headlights is larger than the other upper headlight. Is this correct?
  • deep_striker
    @Prophecies - Yeah the tires are starting to look bloated to me to, now that you guys mentioned it. I didn't use photo reference - and I also didn't like the way the stock Humvee tires looked either, so I made a more aggressive looking tire out of imagination. Will fix that in the next update though.

@Peeeetah - Dude Pete! Should've figured that there would be more AI guys around here. Have you seen David's tank? He's got a thread here too. Rear bumper is fixed, noticed that right after I posted and there were indeed a few unattached verts in there for whatever reason. I'm totally ditching the turret shields, as I actually wanna see the gun there.

@P442 - The passenger side upper headlight is indeed bigger, though not by much.

Thanks for the input guys, will be updating soon.
  • Snader
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Lowpoly is nearly done, but not quite.

Some unoptimized parts, some parts you forgot:
    hmmv%20edit.jpg

Red = remove
    Green = add
  • skullsplitter
    Offline / Send Message
    skullsplitter polycounter lvl 18
    Perhaps you should look into superswamper-tires, looking more agressive and modern than regular stocktires
  • EarthQuake
    Aside from a few bolts and small things, your high-res mesh isn't really any different than your low, at this point your bake is going be little more than a flat blue color with the extra bolts. I would look into doing a proper sub-d model, and if this is your first highpoly -> low exercise, i would definitely start with something a little less complex, as this will be sort of a nightmare for you to figure out how to bake.