Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP - The Storm (Tank)

Hey folks,

First post for me here at Polycount. I am primarily a concept artist building up 3d skill in the Art Institute of LA. Anyway, without further ado:

Render_5a.jpg

Replies

• a2ndelta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The 3d model is totally WIP. Still have to work on the doodads on the turret itself as well as more details like tools, chains, and other addons to the tank body itself.

renderback.jpgrenderfront.jpg
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    the environment and tank look great, the people and the action look forced, like they were an afterthought in the process
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    well, at least it doesn't have WW1 suspension. its better if you center the crew hatches inbetween the guns, because of the gun breeches recoiling backwards.

pic of the rheinmetall 120mm gun:
    Rehinmetall-120mmL44.jpg

also, adding a gun shroud, muzzle reference sensor, and bore evacuators will make the
    gun appear more realistic.
    the gun shroud is a wrapping around the tube to avoid the gun tube bending when it gets hot. the bore evacuator is a circular lump on the middle of the gun tube, which sucks the fumes that are left inside the gun after its been fired, and blows them out the end of the tube, instead of into the crew compartment. the Muzzle reference sensor is a small mirror at the end of the gun tube, used to realign the gun with the sight after around 10 rounds has been fired. as the gun is fired, the metal gets hot, and warps downwards. the gunner then takes a small crosshair, and aligns it with the MRS, to get the gun to fire correctly again.
    another thing, adding smoke grenades to the remote weapons turret is fairly.. unconventional. usually they are located on the turret. pretty much anywhere is good, as long as they spread a smoke arc about 70-80 degrees, and about 30m in front of the tank. the most conventional positions are on the sides of the turret, although on the challenger tank and a number of IFVs, they're located on the front turret.

here's a small video showing a leclerc tank firing first HE grenades, and then smoke grenades:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=govQXYgh_j4[/ame]

also, you should add lifting eyes and towing eyes on the turret and hull. a lifting eye is basically just a hopp where you put a hook. there'susually 3 on the turret, and 4 on the hull.
  • a2ndelta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ Rhinokey

Haha, you caught me. Originally, the piece was titled Calm Before The Storm, with one infantry just standing by. The action was indeed tacked on afterwards from request from teachers/other critiques. I'll try to make the infantry and action more readable and flowing.

@ Dejawolf

You must be the resident tank expert here on polycount! Thanks for the ton of references and input. At this moment, I'm adding the hook attachments, relocating the turret hatch and, as a result, relocating the metal storm turret.

Speaking of the turret, I wanted to combine the anti infantry turret on the M1130 Stryker with Metal Storm tech and a bit of advanced tracking/automation so it can engage air targets as well as infantry using networked battlefield technology and short range independent infrared tracking (I'd add radar/lidar, but that'd be a bit fragile for a frontline ground vehicle). The M1130 turret has a grenade launcher array, but I understand what you mean, because I'd be putting launchers on a turret on a turret. I think I'll equip both types. Nothing quite like military grade redundancy. :)

Anyway, please don't hesitate to provide more input. At my stage, anything constructive is appreciated.
  • Gerasimimumu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is this a game asset? 80K tris feels awfully heavy, if it is. If it is a high poly bake model for detail transfer to low poly, disregard. The tank itself looks great, but since I am not a tank expert, I will just wait for Dejawolf's critique application and updates :)

Gera
  • a2ndelta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ Gerasimimumu

Thanks for looking!

Most of the tris are in the treads. But yes, this is a high poly bake model, so I'll probably replace the treads with simple boxes. I usually make high poly first then clone and break back down into low poly as workflow. Never know when something's gonna poke out too much for normal maps. :)

Naturally, there are probably better workflows out there that I haven't experienced yet, so feel free to post more efficient workflow procedures as well as critiques.
  • ENODMI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ENODMI polycounter lvl 14
    Looks like a great start, Ive been wanting to build a tank for sometime now, keep it up
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ a2ndelta.

heh, thanks for listening :) as for the metal storm turret: i'm not sure if thats the best idea for a gun like that. the ammunition count would be very low. maybe 10 rounds for each barrel, which would mean a total of 40 rounds. cupola mounted weapons usually hold 100 rounds, and the 12.7mm of the stryker holds 300 rounds.

for AA, its better to have a long-barreled 25 or 30mm gun. something like this:

t72m2_05.jpg
    otherwise the bullet spread would simply be too great to hit anything. an alternative to this would be APAM. its basically a round that is loaded into the maingun of the tank. you lase the air target, fire, and it splits up into several submunitions over a distance of 15 meters, and explode separately.

oh, and a closeup picture of the kongsberg weapon station:
    Protector_Remote_Weapon_station_Kongsberg_Defence_and_Aerospace_DSA_2008_001.jpg

and last, you should add a coax, if you haven't already.
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    in that last picture the thing with "LID LATCH RELEASE" looks a lot like a toilet tank.
  • acc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acc polycounter lvl 18
    in that last picture the thing with "LID LATCH RELEASE" looks a lot like a toilet tank.
    Well, when you gotta go...
  • a2ndelta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update! Got carried away with all the ideas. Still a WIP, but anyway...

Additions: Upgraded 40mm grenade launchers on turret, upgraded armor plating, missile launcher on the port side, spare treads, midrange anti-missile laser defense grid, extended the barrels on the remote turret to required 20mm length, comms antennae, and a ladder on the back.

Probably going to make that missile launcher modular so I can replace it with a mini recon drone launcher.

Tools, doodads, and other necessary tank parts in progress.

Render A5 has launcher in stowed position, A4 has launcher in deployed position, like an M2 Bradley, except with 3 missile tubes. Coaxial 50CAL can be seen underneath the port 110mm smoothbore.

renderbravoa5.jpg

renderbravoa4.jpg

renderbravoa6.jpg
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    guess i forgot to mention that the kongsberg turret is the one that is mounted on the stryker. oh well.

here's some more stuff.

kongsberg.jpg

i coloured off the various sights. on every modern tank, you'll have that array.
    a daysight, thermal imager, and LRF.

some other things that you could consider adding, is SHTORA:

obj170geo181pg6p1.png
    its a system that tricks the guidance system of missiles, causing them to crash into the ground. its that glowing red thing.

also, you could add Laser warning receivers:

6534.imgcache.jpg
    its those 2 lumps above the gun tube, and there's a few more around the turret. they tell whether a vehicle is being lased or not, and if it is, an alarm sounds, and optionally the turret is traversed towards the enemy, so that the thickest armour will be turned towards the enemy, instead of the vulnerable sides, or rear.
    there's a few tanks nowadays that has received an APU, an auxillary power unit.
    its a mini-engine that provides power to the turret systems and batteries when the main
    engine is turned off. its usually under armour. the only way you'll know its there, is because there's a maintenance hatch for it, and an exhaust port.
    however, on some tanks its mounted externally, like here:
    Bustle_mounted_APU.jpg

speaking about maintenance, you should consider it.
    make hatches that open and can access components easily.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cye86-9Abtk&feature=related[/ame]
    at 2:20 in this video you can see one of the maintenance hatches, and how the air filters of the engine can be exchanged easily.
    the engine itself can be replaced in around 20 minutes.

things usually break on tanks, and crew needs to have easy access to the components that break. its mostly things on the powerpack that breaks, airfilters getting clogged,
    and sights and vision blocks getting shot out by snipers. the gun tube also needs to be maintained, and sometimes you'll want to pull out the whole gun assembly.
    oh and don't forget filling caps for fuel tanks. fuel tanks are usually large on tanks,
    the abrams with its gas-turbine requires 1900l of fuel to travel 450km,
    the leopard 2 requires 1200 liters to travel the same distance.

as for the bradley missile launcher, i've never been a fan of that. the thing breaks if you move faster than 5kph on level ground, while its erect, which is why it needs to be stowed in the first place. the gun-launched missiles the russians are using is much better, and have a range of 5km, plus, you're not limited to 3 missiles.

it looks like this:
    9m119-500x452.jpg
    its basically a missile loaded into the gun tube itself, instead of using an external launcher.

its better if you put a stinger turret on the roof, or on the remote weapon station.
    as far as vision blocks are concerned, you want lesser and bigger.
    the best pic i could find is this:

abrams-tc3.jpg
    its those blocks around the TC.
    abrams_120.jpg

for the driver, its usually 3 vision blocks, and for the TC its usually 8.
    the loader, if there is one, only gets 1 vision block.
  • a2ndelta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow! I'll take all these points from the top and start the additions/changes. Thanks a bunch, dejawolf. Update coming soon!