Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

AR design

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
polypunx polycounter lvl 10
]hey guys! i'm working on an assault rifle that i'm gonna make in 3d.
would be cool if i could get some feedback. i don't know that much
about guns and was hoping that there are some people here who do.

AR_02_02.jpg

Replies

• ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
  • polypunx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sorry, pressed enter by accident and posted without the image
  • Grimm_Wrecking
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grimm_Wrecking polycounter lvl 8
    I think its a cool start but it looks like its confused whether or not its supposed to be standard or bull-pup, a sub or an ar, and the left handed ejection port is wheird, but thats mostly because I'm a right handed shooter :)

Try playing with some of the design elements a bit, move the mag well, grip and ejection port around some to experiment with different designs.

ATM it looks like the Enfield SA80 & FN F2000 had some kind of bastard offspring.

Not that thats a terrible thing, looking forward to seeing where you take this. :thumbup:
  • Rock Bottom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    really nice design yeah i agree with Grimm the Left ejection port is kinda weird but its all up to you. The hole design is nicely planed out well at least it looks better than what i came up with :P i got some ugly looking guns that look more like i took pieces from different guns and put them together without planning. But besides me yapping i like the design cant wait to see it in 3D
  • polypunx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    is a bullpup when the mag, ejection port and mechanics are placed behind the grip?
    visually, what's the difference between those three rifle types?

yeah, the ejection port will be on the right side. i usually do drawings like these from a left side view and
    just wanted to put the ejection port on there so i could try it out. =)

i'm gonna try some different things and see what i come up with. still want to keep many of the design elements
  • Grimm_Wrecking
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    5.56 Mag
    The mag to me just looks to tilted, it seems like the bolt would have to rock backwards at an extreme angle inside the grip (there is actually a gun that does this but I can't remember its name I'm sure someone will pop in and supply it though). The problem with that on this gun is you have your trigger linkage and fire selector in the path of that design.

Yes a bull-pups mechanics are behind the trigger.
    Aside from that, the differences between a bull-pup and a standard ar are primarily length and balance.
    They both have their advantages and disadvantages.

Bull-Pup:
    Longer Barrel Length in a shorter overall package.
    Good for CQB.
    Weight is farther back in the stock and this is advantageous to some shooters.

Standard:
    Longer overall length unless you start sacrificing barrel length.
    Weight is more centrally balanced.
    imo, better for mid-long range shooting.

Sub-Machine gun:
    Designed with CQB in mind.
    Typically fires handgun caliber rounds.

Whats used depends pretty much a personal preference, and situation.

I've fired them all and personally I'd take a m-4 carbine with a 10-14" barrel over the other two styles just because it feels more natural to me.
    imo, shotguns are where its at though

I'm sure theres someone on here that can break down the differences better than I can.
  • polypunx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the info Grimm. it cleared things up a bit =)

i've made some minor changes. i moved the grip, mag and that stuff a little bit forward. and i made the back and front parts of the rifle a bit shorter.
    i changed the mag so it doesn't tilt as much.
    then i tried some different things with the parts around the grip.

sorry for not making any big changes

AR_02_02-2.jpg
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
    That's an awful long rifle for an awful short barrel.

Bullpups are built on the premise that putting the magazine and action behind the grip allows a long barrel in a short overall length. Right now your design looks like somebody basically took the shell of a bullpup rifle and attached a standard rifle to the front of it, completely negating the benefits of either layout. If there was some purpose or logical role for all the volume behind the mag and action, your design would work (it's pretty cool from a purely visual sense), but without that context it's not working as well - the design needs to be able to stand on its own. I've shot myself in the foot making the same kind of mistake, designing a bunch of stuff that I thought looked cool, but which needed a bunch of additional context to make the design actually seem cool to anybody else. Burned three months that way once. :\

I would suggest moving the ejection port back above the thumbhole in the grip, and putting the charging handle and charging handle path where the ejection port currently is (or leaving it where it is right now). That will suggest a barrel that makes use of the length of that gun. Right now you've got a gun that appears to be all buttstock from nearly halfway back.
  • Grimm_Wrecking
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Design Paint Over...Bull-Pup
    po3.jpg

If you're wanting a standard rifle just move the action and mag forward on design 1 (leave the mag well where its at) and elongate the barrel and rail section to about 2 - 2.5x their length.
    Edit: Thats my opinion anyways, like design 1 & 2 the best.

(just used his elements with scale/smudge :) so no iron sights)
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
    Yup - Grimm is pretty much on the dot. Nice paintover, I like the design. Only change I could suggest would be to add a rear iron sight to go with the front sight, or remove the front sight.
  • Mechadus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    big-ass sci-fi scope... with knobs :P
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    The linework is very random ... ask yourself which line relates to which line, how the volumes overlap in space, and so on ... If you dont spend time thinking about that and/or testing it as a blockout you'll likely end up with something quite flat and 'extruded'.

The whole DVD summed up in 4 minutes (its got everything in that one tiny clip)
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7ZgQw2N_pY[/ame]

Good luck!
  • Rock Bottom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dude sorry to sound like im rushing you but 3D MAN!!! I CANT WAIT ANY LONGER!! i need to see that baby all around
  • Divine Rage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm very much interested to see what you'll make of this! Inspiring concepts also.
  • doeseph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doeseph polycounter lvl 7
    It really depresses me when I see someone able to model in 3d who is also a concept artist. I really have to hone my 2D skills more.

As for the gun, I think it looks neat. A little blocky for my taste, but then that's probably intentional huh? I would rather see it in 3D though! Get workin.
  • polypunx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    great feedback!

GarageBay 9: yeah, i really wanna have a good concept before i start building it in 3d. usually i don't put much
    time into a concept and don't really do any research. a lot of artists probably start out this way =)

Grimm_Wrecking: that's a really cool bull-pup version you did. =) but i'm still kind of set on making it a regular.

pior: you're right about the line work. i will try and see if i can make some sense of it. =)
    nice tutorial. i will check it out

so i will try to post something later today or maybe tomorrow. thanks!
  • polypunx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey!
    so this is what i did. the regular one is still pretty long at the back. i really like the way the back looks
    so i'm having a hard time changing it. but i made it a little bit shorter, made the barrel longer and also narrowed the height a little bit.
    i also did a bullpup version. might even go for that one.

AR_02_02-1.jpg
  • Rock Bottom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the last one looks really interesting cant wait for the 3D version
  • polypunx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    so i've started building the rifle in 3d. it's still in the concept phase though. my 2d concept skills are very limited so i thought it easier to try things out in 3d.
    please give feedback.

i also wanna know, if i made this for a next-gen game, what would be the minimum and maximum triangle counts?

03.jpg
    02.jpg
    01-1.jpg
  • polypunx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    update, put some basic textures on, normal and diffuse.
    not sure about the colors i have though.

please give feedback. ideas and suggestions are welcome.

dif_normal_render01.jpg
  • wake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wake polycounter lvl 17
    Nice work so far, but the colors are killing it I think. You've done a decent job of making your rifle believable in a modern context, so why not pair it with some current military colors (Flat Dark Earth, Coyote Brown, Olive Drab) as well? A flat dark earth upper would make it look a bit like a bullpup SCAR, which would be pretty solid.
  • polypunx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    so i've made it in two colors. one black and one "scar" colored.
    i'm not sure i like the "scar" colors so i'll probably go with the black version.

so far i've only put basic textures on there. but it would be nice if i could get some feedback on them before i start on the details.

04.jpg
  • polypunx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    so this is almost done :). did some quick renders in max.
    there's a lot of wear atm, might reduce some of it.

tell me what you think.

mr_renders.jpg
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    I find the concepts quite cool, altough i dont think it translated that well into 3D.

On the fps view, the side you see there lacks detail it looks realy flat, boring and unfinished.

So i think there is alot that can be improved on, specialy on that site, just keep at it realy good start :)
  • 55joe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looking pretty cool, good start i would agree to keep pushing it. fps view is very boring.
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It is tremendously flat which hurts it a lot but it looks like that was the concept design anyways.

It looks a heck of a lot like the warhammer shotgun

35288.jpg
    64518.jpg
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    it is a very flat but that is what the concept art shows, a side view

it looks a heckua lot like the warhammer shotgun made for counterstrike

http://www.fpsbanana.com/skins/46851
  • polypunx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 & 55joe:

it does look quite boring now that you mention it. don't know how i missed it. it definitely needs some more details.
    i don't know what to add though. do you think it needs more geometry or would it be enough to add some normal map details?

n88tr:

i can see the resemblance. they look a bit alike from a first person view but not that much from the side.