Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP retro raygun - Pyrotomic Disintegrator

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Simmo polycounter lvl 12
Well my first thread fell into the oblivion of the forum pages, but that's ok because I've put that model on hiatus for this one.

It's my first go at a proper model for game use start to finish, and at the moment I've gotten he hipoly pretty close to how I want it before moving to LP, but as it's my first real go at this sort of thing, I'm looking for some C&C.

r03q.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
r02o.png
r04i.png

r05.png

I used what pics I could find of old 50s toy as reference:

http://www.atomicbox.net/dratomic/WEBSITE_GUNS/MOD_GUNS/pyro_copper.jpg

I feel I need to detail it some more, as obviously if I kept it like the ref it would still look like a toy, but I also want to keep the clean lines and simplicity of the design intact.

Thanks to X-Convict for his rendering material tutorial for the renders!

Thanks for looking! C&C please! :p

Replies

• Rock Bottom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks really nice, looks a bit simple for my liking but nice it kinda looks like the Ray Gun in FallOut 3 but yeah man good work
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    Looks quite cool, One thing that instantly hits me is the little rings on the main body make it look like a submarine. they look just like port holes.

Technically thinking you might want to consider tapering some of your details. unless your planning on modeling them as polygon detail things like the 'port holes' wont show up very well in your normal map. the 90% angles wont catch rays when your baking
    from the wiki
    Normal%20Map?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=normal_slopes_hatred.jpg
  • Tea Monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tea Monster polycounter lvl 14
    Nice clean design. I would put a few more greebles on there, or go to town on texturing in a nice retro brass and iron style.

Were you aware that WETA were running a raygun comp?
    http://www.raygunshootout.com/
  • Simmo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Simmo polycounter lvl 12
    Thanks for the comments guys.

r_fletch_r: Depending on how many polys it adds, I might model in the parts on the side... I dunno yet :p I've changed those bits on the side anyway, as you'll see below

Tea Monster: I think I will let the texturing do most of the work.. I really want to keep the clean, 50s space age aesthetic. I've added a few extra details though. Also I didn't know about that comp, some cool stuff on the site there, thanks!

I think I'll start on the lowpoly tomorrow. Here's a small update:

r07.png

r06.png

Perhaps some details on the discs on the barrel, also something in the cylinder on the bottom of the grip perhaps. but apart from that and some cleanup I think I'll call the hipoly done. Still open to crits of course!! Any feedback at all is greatly appreciated

Cheers
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    For some reason I don't feel the trigger. Such a sliding variant feels too modern. (as in, current instead of retrofuturism) The back and sides could use some more detail, mostly the back. (because it's in your face)
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    I actually like the trigger... its unusual. The barrell is a bit long at the start, I would bring the discs back closer to the body of the gun.

(awesome avy Snader, scared the shit out me. SOMEONE IS EATING TEH POLYCOUNTS!!!1!!) ;P
  • Simmo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Simmo polycounter lvl 12
    Thanks for the comments guys. The trigger is pretty much copied from the reference, and I think it looks kind of cool too so i'll keep it :p

Anyway, this is my first time making a complex low poly from a high, and unwrapping an object like this.. some parts were really tough! Just finished now, still need to pack the uvs though. Here's a progress shot, model is 2,959 tris:

uv1.png

uv2w.png
  • Simmo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Simmo polycounter lvl 12
    Ack, double post alert!

Just some progress.. baked (and tweaked) and starting to block out base texture and colours. I'm not sure about the colour scheme yet.

shots from UDK static mesh viewer.

udk1.png

udk2.png
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    looking good so far, keep going!

Have you played fallout 3? they had some nicely done guns like this in the mothership zeta DLC. they were brushed metal. if you own it you should rip the textures and take a look. it was a nice effect and very simple (brushing pattern in the spec channel)