Home Unreal Engine

2 feature questions for the May beta

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
adam polycounter lvl 19
  1. Where in world info to you supply your post process chain? It's not here, as the wiki states. Or if it is, am I to look in World Info elsewhere than View > World Properties > World Info ?
  2. Is it me or does this page here not mention how to go about creating the actual LUT image needed? I even tried copying this image in to a screenshot, but once I was done adjusting I wasn't sure how to go about making the actual file its looking to be plugged in to here.
Thoughts?

EDIT: For #2, I'm aware of this:
  1. Make representative screen shots of the scenes you want to adjust and put them in one Photoshop document.
  2. Add the 256x16 LUT_Neutral image to the image as a layer.
  3. Apply color manipulations (best through adjustment layers), possibly in some different color space (LAB keeps brightness and color independent which is very useful).
  4. Save the 256x16 texture in some uncompressed format that the engine can read.
  5. Import the texture in the editor and specify the ColorLookupTable? Texture Group

For #2, my original 2nd question was in regards to this. Now do you get the 256x16 LUT_Neutral?

Replies

• teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    Hi Adam, I'm not sure if I understood you correctly, but if you need the neutral LUT file just download this PNG is loseless so do not worry about compression artifacts; it works flawlessly. It took me a while to figure this out myself, since I assumed that the file would be somewhere in the UDK folder.

If this is not what you wanted to hear, could you clarify your last post a little bit?
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Yeah thats it and I got it working. IMO it sucks you need to use Tone Mapper as its completely blown all my colours out. :\
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    Ah, glad to hear it works.

I had the same problem with my postprocessing at the beggining; make sure that you remove your previous color corrections before you make the adjustments in Photoshop; this new Color Grading works in conjunction with the old color correction method. If you don't make it neutral, the contrast is going to make your eyes bleed ;)

Also, you can disable Colour Grading via the console
    http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/ColorGrading.html#Console%20variables
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    not sure why your colors would blow out. Like tea said make sure you remove the color corrections you did in the volume and world properties.

as far as chain in world properties goes, i think it didn't make it into the latest build, it's a really new addition.
  • Snight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snight polycounter lvl 16
    Is there a way to turn color grading off so you don't need to use a LUT?

Colors are completely blown out in the May build. I'm thinking this could be the same issue Adam is having.

For example, here is a screen shot from the April build:
    justfine.jpg

And here is the same shot in the May build with no LUT added:

overcontrasted.jpg
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Ah, glad to hear it works.

I had the same problem with my postprocessing at the beggining; make sure that you remove your previous color corrections before you make the adjustments in Photoshop; this new Color Grading works in conjunction with the old color correction method. If you don't make it neutral, the contrast is going to make your eyes bleed ;)

Also, you can disable Colour Grading via the console
    http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/ColorGrading.html#Console%20variables

So take my Post volume and 'remove' the values from that? (Including colour, bloom and DOF changes?)

Then remove it from World?

Then, with a neutral scene I do my corrections? Hmm. Where do I redo my DOF & bloom adjustments then? In 'uberpostprocess' section of the chain?

PS: Did you or anyone find where to add a custom chain file to World Info?
  • Snight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Adam: I'm pretty sure you don't need to remove your Bloom and DOF values. All the LUT is doing is adding color corrections. Any color values you have changed in your post properties you should set back to default if you are going to use a LUT.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    No, but if I have to add it to the PP chain via the uberpost, which has its own controls for bloom & dof, it sounds like I may need to. I couldn't figure out how to tell that part of the chain to just use the volume I've created.
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    custom chains assigned in world properties are not in may build.

You should not be controlling your scene's PP through a chain, a chain just enables/disables features, the values are set in world properties, then overridden by volume settings. What you should zero out is any high/med/low color adjustments made in the volume.

Snight- disable HDR tonemapper in the chain to disable the feature

Colors are saturated by default now because you can always desaturate using a LUT from photoshop, making a saturated image from an already desaturated one results in a loss of precision.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    the uberpost process overwrote whatever i had in my post volume in terns of DOF and bloom. And i couldn't find where to enable/disable it. 0'ing out the inputs would just nullify the effects completely.
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Snight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW wrote: »
    Colors are saturated by default now because you can always desaturate using a LUT from photoshop, making a saturated image from an already desaturated one results in a loss of precision.

This makes sense... I was just a bit thrown off that all the Epic maps that are included with UDK have an insane amount of contrast in them now. I'll play around with it more, thanks Jordan.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    JordanW wrote: »

I do now, which has rendered my entire scene white.

EDIT: ALright something funky is going on. I removed my post process volume so I could edit via World Info..

..however, World Info isn't even where my post is coming from. For shits & giggles I took one of the highlight values and bumped it from 0 to 12 and received no change.

I checked and I am set to show postprocess (my screen effect is showing). Have I set one of my chain nodes to override? I went through them (theres only 3 atm) and checking on/off use world properties hasn't do anything.

Argh.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Argh, this is driving me nuts now :( I made a new post volume which seem to actually effect the world. I did some work in Photoshop, etc. mucked around with new objects in the scene and now im back to not being able to effect my post process in a volume OR world info.

What am I doing thats causing this? (note - i also doing have an uberpostprocess in my chain).
  • Xendance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xendance polycounter lvl 7
    You can disable colorgrading by using "colorgrading 0" command in the console/command line. You could probably permanently disable it by fiddling around in the .ini files.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Problem solved: I need to use an uberpostprocess node in the chain, but set it to use worldproperties.

From there, the PP volume works.

HIZZAh.