Home Technical Talk

Question On Passes?

When rendering out passes, say diffuse and shadow, I use to set them up separately before rendering. I'm a bit slow on the uptake but I've recently began using Render Elements in Max.

How can I use Elements to render out the passes (diffuse + shadow) without having to render out the complete master render first? It seems that, for Elements to separate out the individual passes, it needs to do the master render first, removing the speed benefit of passes?

Replies

• Piflik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Piflik polycounter lvl 12
    If you render just Diffuse and Shadow you might be right, but if you rener multiple Elements, maybe even multiple of one type (like LIghting direct and indirect separate), setting your scene up for each pass is not trivial and takes it's time, also rendering the image for each pass...using Render Elements is easier and faster, although it renders the complete image every time (there is no way around it, at least up until now)
  • Playdo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Piflik. I just needed to hear that there's no way around doing a master render with Elements, so I wasn't missing anything.