Home Technical Talk

The most effective workflow..

Hi i m shilkhar , very much new to Polycount, n dis z my first post here, m verymuch interested in character modeling ...n i m already pretty much into sculpting as well. so anyone here plz help me out n tell me wats d best way to create a character for game.. from scratch .. Sculpt, retotpology, uv layouts, texturing etc etc .. when to do wat ? m confused among so many diff. pipelines.. plz guide me.. I'll b gratefull to u..

- Thanks
Shikhar || 3D Artist

Replies

• renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    how about you write down (in complete words) how you do it so far? - that way people can make suggestions.
  • shikharsharma1987
    hey thanks a lot renderhjs 4 paying attention to my thread, ok well , i hv not created any complete character yet, I just love to sculpt.. so if Hv to do it, thn i'll do it like - 1st I would sculpt from a base mesh (which has no uvs)
    - then i would tek it for retopology (which i m confused how to do it ? coz whn i do it in ZB, the low poly base mesh will intersect with thr highpoly then how'll I b able to calculate normal maps ? )
    - Then i will unwrap the base mesh
    - and calculate normals from it using either transfer maps in maya / or in 3ds max, or using X Normals.( help me out which is best )

n hey plz chk out my thread (street fighter Ryu ) in P n P forum where i hv uploaded my Sculpt as well, please help me out on it, how should I proceed.. I wanna make a game char out of it.. please.
    - Thanks..
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    That sculpt looks really nice, well done :). Id do your low poly and post it with the sculpt in the P&P forum. its usually a great place to get technical criticism. once that is done try unwrapping the character
    there is a pretty comprehensive tutorial here on character modeling/unwrapping/texturing
    http://www.3dtotal.com/team/Tutorials_3/low_poly_character/low_poly_01.php

So far as bakers are concerned any of the listed bakers will work really well. Id stick with maya or max depending on which one you are more comfortable with for the moment. XNormal is awesome but its another app to learn. best to keep things simple and stick to 1 or 2 apps. the most useful thing you can do is try stuff post your results and get feedback

I know this is going to come across as me being a dick but Ill say it anyway. When you comment online your less likely to get interest from people if you use words like coz,wen, and tek. Just use the real words, its annoying to allot of people who have to decipher what you are saying and it also makes it hard to read for people who dont have english as their first language.
  • shikharsharma1987
    Thank you r_fletch_r, Thanks a ton sir, for your help and support, I'll go through the tutorial for sure. and will keep on posting here and asking questions whenever is required .. thanks again for paying attention to my post.. a great comment it is.. n thanks for appreciating it.
    well I have already been scolded for using abbreviations here n there, I m extremely sorry for this. It will never be repeated again.. I m extremely sorry for it.. I admit its a really bad habit that I carry..
    -Thanks
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    Theres no need to be sorry or apologise. just try your best to make your posts clear.
    No one is going to remember this and hold it against you.
  • shikharsharma1987
    yes ! I will .. Thanks