Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio-stuART_3dee

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
stuART_3dee polycounter lvl 10
Hello Polycounters! Been quite busy since Unearthly as I've been finishin up a scene, getting work together and getting my site up. Been on the boards since and learning A LOT from you guys.
http://www.marknunez3d.com/ Here's my site so far. Just looking for critique/feedback on the work (and site itself :P) Let me know what you think. Still touching up 2 pieces. Thanks! :)

Replies

• dansher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dansher polycounter lvl 8
    wow that Baghdad street is amazing, some of the rubbish (paper) in the background looks a little to bright though.

the stryker is really nice love the way it looks dirty like its been deployed for awhile
  • Revel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    Dude, you got a nice stuff going on there!
    But for the website itself, I suggest you reduce the empty space that you have at the top, its way taking much space and when I view on my laptop, the title sits at the middle of the screen already, and your works all "bellow the fold" (aka need too scroll down in order to see the first image).

Owh and btw I notice at the very bottom of your site it said "Create a free website with Weebly"...is it really as good as what they said on the website? I mean in terms of designing your own layout/ updating the contents?...thanks in advance for the info.

_Revel
  • stuART_3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel wrote: »
    Dude, you got a nice stuff going on there!
    But for the website itself, I suggest you reduce the empty space that you have at the top, its way taking much space and when I view on my laptop, the title sits at the middle of the screen already, and your works all "bellow the fold" (aka need too scroll down in order to see the first image).

Owh and btw I notice at the very bottom of your site it said "Create a free website with Weebly"...is it really as good as what they said on the website? I mean in terms of designing your own layout/ updating the contents?...thanks in advance for the info.

_Revel

Thanks dude. I'll go ahead and work on them changes. I've tried on several PC's. I'll make some friends test it out on theirs.

Its good enough if you want something quick and simple. There's was a thread back in General awhile back on sites like that: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69496&highlight=portfolio In the end it doesn't matter. I might change later this year given the time.
  • stuART_3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Managed to talk to some friends and get feedback. Had some time to rework about 3 pieces based on that. Gonna give myself this next wk to work on anything else as Ill be at e3 the following wk. Check it out and let me know what you guys think so far. Thanks! :)

UPDATES: Hammerburst, JP Target concept, Heart Pump!
    http://www.marknunez3d.com/index.html
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    i suggest you work on your texturing. when i first looked at your gun in your main page (which was textured) i said "ew." But when i saw the high poly, i was very pleased.

what im trying to say, is that your current texturing is draging down the quality of oyur models. and fix your shaders.

also, your should show your low poly gun with only the normals applied to show that the normal map is done right.
  • looprix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looprix polycounter lvl 8
    I like the toon outline on the single mushroom asset shots for the JP Targete Environment. Maybe you can add the black outline to the objects in the scene. Also the mushrooms could use shadows to ground them and the scene is a little cluttered. To make it less cluttered maybe delete most of the mushrooms on the right rock.

As for the Bagdad Scene the actual road could be more interesting and have more variant detail.

Good work keep it up!
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    roosterMap is right on point. Your textures are letting you down, and that gun, while it COULD be your best piece (remember show your best work first) your gun looks like the weakest piece because of the textures.

Seriously man, that high poly looks bad ass, so you really need to checkout racers tutorials and get a handle on the textures there. Possibly you could use snefers guns as reference as well: http://www.torfrick.com/

Oh, and get rid of the image loader please. :) A simple image on a new page would be better. Good luck!
  • stuART_3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP: Yea I agree. That texturing has gone through several passes and Im still not pleased. I'll get on it.

looprix: The toon outline is from PS for presentation purposes :) Im still trying to figure out how a mesh can cast shadows on another mesh in UDK. I was working on it yesterday and they still didnt show up.

BradMyers82: HAHA I have checked out out racer's latest tuts. Haven't checked out his past stuff though. Will do that. And yea, I am familiar with Snefer's AMAZING work. thx

THANK YOU for the feedback guys! :)
  • 3D-209
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll second (or third, or whatever) that texturing is your biggest hang-up. I had the same reaction as rooster to the gun up top. It was like "gross", then I clicked on it and was like, "oh the high-poly is pretty good". Seems like you're doing enough work, maybe too much really, at least until you nail a few core skills. Doesn't take too many pieces to get a job if you play your cards right, you've just got to be careful not to scare them off with bad impressions related to texturing or anything else.

I'd concentrate on doing one really nice texture for that gun or something, then applying what you've learned to everything else you work on.

Looks like you're on the right track though, good luck! :)
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    I think it might be the baking process, how used are you to it?, since the highpoly looks quite good and should end up looking good after a bake too, did you overlay something heavily on that normalmap, how did the result look when you baked it?

Something definately went wrong in the baking, and it does look like you've used some point lights in the scene when baking the aomap for the gun, when you should've used a proper AO setup instead.

It's good sourcematerial, the highpoly is really nice, but the normalmap just screams wrong.