Offline / Send Message
    melee02.png
    Whabam, one more to clean up a bit!
    <Render of Melee weapon, moved to first post>
  • Thomas Truong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    primary02.png
    And the last, I'll be updating the first post in a couple minutes to mimic all those other professional gallery images.

<Render of Primary, moved to first post of thread>
    P.S.
    secondary03.png
    Friend that wanted to practice messing with Hammer imported my Secondary model in for fun (Missing Alpha), it turned out quite swell:

kothviaduct0026.jpg
    kothviaduct0029.jpg
    kothviaduct0038.jpg

Note to self: Don't apply Kritz Bong taunt to this weapon, the rocket will go through your head...
  • Thomas Truong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Updated first page, finished sending my items to contribute, and taking a well deserved break (until some bug fixing).

Otherwise, good luck in all of your endeavors everyone else and have a good day.

P.S.
    Skillcharge works
    sketch-17.jpg
  • Stevio Pistachio
    Wow, I've gotta say - medic definently isn't my favourite class (soldier is :D) but my god medic needs some new weapons desperately - this is BY FAR the BEST submission I've seen on polycount (very close with Ithoual's polypack ;) ) - you have my vote to win man - taking that valve gets finalists and lets us vote :P --- AKA I WANT YOU TO WIN I LOVE IT

PS yes i know i was just crapping on cos im bored but OH WELL, THIS IS AWESOME
  • Ikimono
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    really not liking the cat cadaver. The entire basis of it is in extremely poor taste.

Second, why is the medic carrying around a back-burner with a rocket stuck to the end
  • Psyke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ikimono wrote: »
    really not liking the cat cadaver. The entire basis of it is in extremely poor taste.

Second, why is the medic carrying around a back-burner with a rocket stuck to the end

why would soldier carry around an anchor? :|
  • Thomas Truong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

From what I understand, the skeleton of a cat isn't that far off from anything in the TF2 universe, which features Lampooning dead space chimps, blowing a 2 inch hole through a person's head, decapitation, and punching someone so hard, all their blood is gone. However, if it's a personal feeling that it's in poor taste, then I can understand that. If it's the fact that it's a cat's skeleton amongst all possible creature, you can probably substitute cat for chimp or any other small skeleton of that size. If it's the backstory, while it's a bit dark, it fits the inhumane personality of the Medic, and references the only thing I extensively remember about the Diary of Anne Frank.

For your second statement, it seems that you didn't read the description or look at the gun for more than two seconds and came to the conclusion that those two features were unintentionally ripped off, and it was just those two shapes, otherwise you would've have mentioned the Jarate, Alcohol, Sapper, or any of the other pieces used from other models. If not, the backstory explains that it's all unspecific spare parts used to make it. To play along with a more expanded reason:

The Heavy's Minigun used in the E5 didn't rotate and caused a large amount of heat to buildup while it was being used as a Medigun. As it's known and stated in the 5th Edition Medigun Operation Manual (known in Scientific circles as MOM) that Mediguns are prone to overheat, but they have a positive side effect of due to the overheating. Its ectoplasm beam emits what seems to be an invincible or damaging aura of energy that lasts for a short period of time when the Medigun is being used properly. Due to the high energy requirements, a large cooling shaft, such as that of a Rocket could keep it from overheating and exploding and the head of the Backburner not only keeps it in place, but gives ventilation to the top part of gun, balances out the weight of the Sentry components in back, centers the spread of Ectoplasm emissions to keep along with the Ecofriendly theme, and just looks bitchin'.

Having said that however, I don't expect most folks to look at any of these entry for more than five or ten seconds anyway before reaching a conclusion on it, nor do I want to start any drama.

P.S.
    Psyke, you like the Graffiti redesign?
  • Ikimono
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyke wrote: »
    why would soldier carry around an anchor? :|
    Worst possible counter argument you could have used.

It's cat bones. Enough said.
  • Porkchop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's cat bones. Enough said.

You should TOTALLY read the post above yours, I know I did, but that's just me.

Imagine if you threw piss on people, yucky, and good thing there's no decapitation in this game, or else that would be the end of this game for me!
  • Khthon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomas, you need to move your pics to imgur.com or some other host because valve/whoever won't be able to see them if you use photobucket - the bandwidth is already used up.
  • Thomas Truong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Khthon wrote: »
    thomas, you need to move your pics to imgur.com or some other host because valve/whoever won't be able to see them if you use photobucket - the bandwidth is already used up.
    Done and done, moved images to my private server, had a feeling that would happen eventually with the sizes I was saving them at. Thanks for coming back and checking on the thread though.
  • Khthon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No problem my friend. Want to take a video of the items in game?
  • Thomas Truong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Planning on doing it soon, along with in game renders for the first page (ala fake Update pages) like everyone else is doing and proper TF2 shading. Just recuperating at this point.
  • Khthon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    All right, well you earned some r&r
  • Thomas Truong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Been awhile folks, updated the main page with a more traditional TF2 update styled presentation.
    I'll be posting some videos up tomorrow as well.

Also Resumbitting the C4 model and texture to Valve tommorow to fix a specular issue and some UV problems.
  • Fragus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't think you followed the TF2 style. The skeleton bone-saw is very excessive and has very flat, boring textures, not to mention it's unpractical to use (every weapon in TF2 is designed to be practical and easy to use). The medigun just basically consists of various valve models and is again, unpractical (I don't see how a rocket can heal people). The best of the bunch is the needle gun. The textures are interesting and quite TF2ish, the model is original and practical and I can see the medic using it. Also, don't know if you came up with the names but they are horrible: they are too long and don't stick.
    Hope this helps in your future work.

EDIT: Also, I don't see a cohesive theme here. How a skeleton saw is connected with a "engineer designed" medigun?
  • Thomas Truong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It seems a lot of folks fall into two parties, they either love the "Bone"saw or hate it. I don't think it's too terribly off from TF2's style, especially with bloody items like Skullcutter, or the origin of the Wranger. Just a morbid and bloody weapon to match the Medic's style. It also mixes in some "TF2 scifi" tech with the liquid transmitter and battery in pack, in the same way the Kritzkrieg is operated.

As you can see below, the textures of the bone in TF2 seems entirely based on the shader as well, but I could always increase the saturation of the variation on the Bones as well, they do have slightly color changes but I guess it's hard to see in game. The metal handle is the normal way I do TF2 texturing in which I mix in swatches of color, but I guess it's hard to see as well since it's all covered up by the Medic's hand, I think it will be more evident in the First Person videos I'm submitting to Youtube soon. I'm changing it up a little bit though and resubmitting it tomorow as well, so I'll change the colors around before the upload if you was.

reference-01.jpg

I don't understand what you mean by it's 'unpratical' to use, it's just a normal bonesaw with a different model and it functions the same way in combat. If the description was misleading, it's just "operation" filler, like the "how to operate a Sentry manual".

However, all of it is a fair opinion.

As for the E5, the rocket and such is just the shell, on the front page. It has a hole on the front the same size as the Medigun. I also remodeled it all from scratch, none of it was copied directly from Valve's files.

I can repeat my design specification though from a few posts back:
    Due to the high energy requirements, a large cooling shaft, such as that of a Rocket could keep it from overheating and exploding

I can see how it being Engineer designed is offtrack as well. In the original story, it was a one time custom weapon made by the backers of the Mercenaries to inspire the Medic's falling morale by hitting him with something personal made from something personal. I can change it to reflect that, or incorporate the original mechanic design that it "devolved" from.
    It had the same functions and harmful attachments, just metal instead of bone.

sketch-16.png

I can see where you're coming from with the names. I and my colleagues just refer to them from their short hand names: The P3, C4, and E5. But I could change them to use something shorter I planned out awhile back in case a situation like this came up.

Otherwise, I also call them:
    The Pistolebunker
    Schrodinger's Saw
    And The Eclectic Ectomitter

But like the change Southern Hospitality, Valve can name stuff whatever they like.

Thanks for the feedback though.
  • Fragus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't understand what you mean by it's 'unpratical' to use, it's just a normal bonesaw with a different model and it functions the same way in combat. If the description was misleading, it's just "operation" filler, like the "how to operate a Sentry manual".

I meant the game universe practicality, each class has custom designed weapon for their personal needs. The weapons are simple and easy to use (in the universe) the bone-saw on the other hand looks like it's going to be scattered all over the floor on the first swing, it doesn't look sturdy!
  • Thomas Truong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I can see what you mean now, and that's a very valid point.
    I guess my only counter would be the Soldier/Demoman use a broken bat with a Nail shoved through it, the Pyro uses a broken axe barely held together with barbed wire, and the Heavy brings in a bar of Chocolate in his pocket that would normally melt due to his weight and the fact that it's been pre-opened, among other things

I guess I could also come up with some on the fly exposition (an excuse) to make up for it as well:
    Originally, long Needle tubes were going to be attached to the spine to mimic the original design, but seeing that ribs have some density to them, the tubes were converted to tiny hoses to fit inside the ribs and connect to the Needles at the end. The bones attaching to each other didn't exist without muscles so a strong layer of metal, brawn, and Australium would bond the bones together and keep the bonesaw together even under one metric ton of force. It also served as a good anatomy refresher in the field of battle, to keep one's nerves off insanity.

Also, I'll stick back my old Splash image in the bottom of the first post to explain my theme better since my newer one doesn't really explain why I picked Second Opinion, but it's basically the culmination/fusion of different ideas and weapon to make one super weapon.

Thanks for the clarification.
  • Thomas Truong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Updated the first post with a video, enjoy.
  • Psyke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snazzy little voice there!
  • Stevio Pistachio
    hey thomas can i just say that i love your pack - i was wondering once you've finished it completely will you be uploading it to media/fileshare or something? i saw this forum http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=75103 with download links of peoples packs and i would like yours to be there to once its finished ( i have no medic skins and these would do great)

thx in advance :)