Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Wolf Soldier Character

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
Hey,
I'm currently working on a team project. This is a character that I need to bring into unreal, and I need your crits and suggestions! I'm not done yet, the head still needs to be done, however, I just finished the body tonight.
Here's what I have so far. Tri count weighs in at about 10k. This is a realtime screenshot using the Xoliul Viewport shader. I'm still getting to know how it works, so my lighting isn't super hot, and I don't have any alpha on the Loincloth yet. For some reason the Alpha channel in the 32-bit TGA texture doesn't work, even after checking the option in the shader.
Anyways, here's the eye candy!
paintover14.jpg
paintover13.jpg
paintover12.jpg
paintover14.jpg

Crits and suggestions appreciated!

Replies

• ant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ant
    uh.. whats the story behind the character /world
    at a first glance I would say it needs more character/ exageration in areas.
    esp in the length of joint s/ posture and spinal position.

saying that the hands/body look well modeled ( you said head is wip) it just needs more "style"
    are you working from a good concept ?( it helps)

poly count is high as well - 8k is around today's standard multiplayer poly count
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was going for a more realistic humanoid approach. Not going for a stylized character here. The concept I was given was merely used to give a very, very, VERY general idea of the whole thing. My team decided to move away from the concepts style, but here it is: http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/8540/werewolfv.jpg

We ended up disliking the armor from the concept so we came up with another armor idea. Also, there will be more fur added with alpha planes once I get those done.

Anyways, this the 3rd character I've ever made. I'm not good enough to make something stylized yet. In due time I guess.
  • Rwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    reminds me of this
    gvswere.jpg

although I think the head piece needs some redesign, dosen't feel/fit well

his belly button and lower pecs feel too low anatomically wise
  • Revel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    Hi dude, I don't understand why you end up doing the open scar like that, which i think the concept way much better by having the cyborg-skeleton thingy showing underneath the skin.

The pose make it slightly lean forward, at least to bring up the "wolf" characteristic into your character as well, not just by the wolf's head. And yes, I will go for a bigger upper body rather than perfect human proportion (it looks like someone was removing the human head and replacing it with the wolf's head...but its just my opinion though).

_Revel
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The pose it has now is simply a modelling pose. I'll put it into a proper pose once it's skinned and rigged. As for why I didn't use the concepts cyborg skeleton idea, it was mainly to save time. I'm on a very tight schedule, and making an open scar takes far less time than planning how to get the cyborg idea properly into 3D. Sometimes things look great in 2D, but bringing it into 3D space is a whole new level of difficult.

Thanks for the crits so far guys! Keep them coming! :)