Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Cistern Room

Hey all, here's a shot of something I've been doing in UDK for the last month or so. Trying to learn the ropes of everything the engine has to offer. Any C&C is absolutely appreciated. 8)

cisternpresentation.jpg

Replies

• SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    water damage/leak decals from the pipes and concrete ledges/joins

big streaks of shit ftw
  • SouthpawSid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouthpawSid polycounter lvl 7
    I like the cool to warm contrast going from left to right. Is this is final screen cap or are you planning on adding more? Right now I am trying to find a sort of focal point and my eye is torn between the two entrances on the left and right side. Obviously a little more to the left since it's more noticeable with the green lighting. Maybe add some sort of BA asset to really add a focal point. Also, the red banner right in the center of the shot is a no no that's also distracting IMO. GL and keep going, there is some good texturing in here!
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    i like the imagery, and everyone will have their own opinion for this but the glaring FUCK seems to be the focal point on this for me and would look much better and professional IMO if you didn't have cuss words in it but your mileage may vary.

I would definitely use another term if looking for work, you can always find something else to say.
  • brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 13
    Cool scene.

The DoF feels a little strong to me. From where that little hut is, to the back of the room only looks to be maybe 200ft or so. Whats the reason for all the mist, where is this location, whats the story.. those are a couple things you should try to tell with the scene.

A few more props probably wouldn't hurt; broken boxes and crates, hanging wires, graffiti on the walls, bunch of random crap, bottles, cans, etc.

I'd also work on the spec maps a bit, that concrete is prettttty shiney.

Good looking scene though. keep at 'er. lol
  • Amadreaus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the insights! I agree that the scene could use more assets to populate it, fill it out a bit more etc. The banner in the center is meant to act as a focal point and yes, the profanity is there to drive it home as something aggressive and distopian, meant to be a looming presence to the population that remains underground here. I'll definitely consider working on it and replacing it with something that may not turn people off, we'll see. I'm open to suggestions :P

Great ideas all! I'll get some updates soon I think.
  • duoxan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    duoxan polycounter lvl 17
    bastard is a bit more acceptable, but id try and find a different word
    your lighting is pretty awesome dude
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    I like it alot! Needs more grime imo. Althought it could be ok if you are going for a clean look. However, I agree with that has been said about FUCK. There are PLENTY of words in the English vocabulary that can easily express something just as aggressive if not more so. I can definitely see something like this turning off a potential employer.

Back to crits, the lighting seems great! Very warm and cozy despite being a cold place. Perhaps some clutter around those pillars?