Home General Discussion

Arizona bound, Got job

Replies

• Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    Rhinokey wrote: »
    pricey? you about made me fall off my chair laughing, housing out there is like half or less what it costs here around dc.

Tempe is a bit more expensive than Chandler probably is, and perhaps more expensive than some of the outlying suburbs, like Mesa or Gilbert. But it certainly isn't the most expensive area of the Valley to buy in, and it sure as hell isn't as expensive as the DC area. Paradise Valley is where all of the rockstars and movie celebrities build their mansions, it is crazy expensive to buy a house there. And Scottsdale is where a lot of yuppies set up shop, it would be more expensive there as well.

Tempe is a trendy place to live, and is popular with the younger crowd. It is where ASU is housed, so there are a lot more community activities and parties that go on there. Plenty of bars and nightclubs in that area as well. Chandler is popular with the middle-aged and elderly retirees. It's a little more quiet and laid-back. If you can get a house within easy driving distance of the 101, you'll be able to get to almost any part of the Valley quickly.
  • whipSwitch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whipSwitch polycounter lvl 8
    congrats on finding something dude! good luck!
  • Danglebob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Danglebob polycounter lvl 15
    i know a few people that work there as well. congrats! unfortunately im stuck in the crappier part of town (about thirty min outside downtown). chandler and tempe are way nicer. be prepared to sweat.
  • Darth Tomi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Darth Tomi polycounter lvl 12
    House selling sucks ass at the moment. But buying a house is actually a pretty good idea. The housing market was in a huge boom in Arizona up until two years ago. Right now its at the lowest its been in decades. The positive thing about it is that property is dirt-cheap in AZ for anyone who is looking to buy. You can get a sizeable house in a good neighborhood for a lot less than you used to.

Chandler is a nice area. A lot of it is residential, and its far enough away from the airports that you don't get much noise. It's also a lot less ghetto than downtown Phoenix or Tempe, so not as much threat of crime.

I've heard there's whole blocks of empty houses.
  • Grimm_Wrecking
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grimm_Wrecking polycounter lvl 8
    Darth Tomi wrote: »
    I've heard there's whole blocks of empty houses.

There are and apartments are running between 1/2 to 1/3 of their original costs. My current one dropped from $1300 -> $750 utilities paid. ( i know thats more than half, but still a big damn difference.)