Home Technical Talk

Change parent during keyframe motion

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
omid3098 polycounter lvl 13
[3ds Max and CAT]
for reloading motion, I need to parent weapon's magazine to weapon's body in first 10 frames, and then parent magazine to character's hand during frames 10-30 and after that parent it back to weapon's body in 30-40.
but for example when I change linked parent in frame 11 from weapon's body to character's hand, it will affect these change parenting during 1-10 too. (autokey is enabled)
I also created keys for magazine in those frames but I could not get what I want.

any tips please?

Replies

• kodde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 19
    Does max have animation constraints?

In that case use the parent constrain to two different targets, and keyframe the weight of those targets to vary between following target A and then B.
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    I say create a dummy object under helpers and have it linked and use that as your last parent object if you haven't thought about using them.
  • mayaterror
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3DS Max has the Link Constraint just for this situation, however, I'm not sure if using this will be compatible with a game engine - I'd say the dummy approach would probably be safer for that use.

Anyone know if Link Constraint is valid for RT? Or is this another "engine specific thing..."
  • omid3098
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    now I use both constraints and dummies for this.
    thank you guys for fast end helpful answers.. ;)
  • omid3098
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mayaterror wrote: »
    3DS Max has the Link Constraint just for this situation, however, I'm not sure if using this will be compatible with a game engine - I'd say the dummy approach would probably be safer for that use.

Anyone know if Link Constraint is valid for RT? Or is this another "engine specific thing..."

as constraints will effect bones and bones will change character accordig to it's rig, so if a game engine supports bone motions, I don't think constraints or any other tools to modify bones movement, may cause something wrong during export.