Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

First gun - Colt 1911

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
4th game object i've created. I was learning about tex tools when making this so hopefully on my next gun i can apply what i've learned much better.

renderw.png
gund.png
texwall.png

Replies

• PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    At 1st glance it looks alright but after closer examination it begins to break down. There is very little detail in the texture itself, which as a good base it could be really improved with minor wear like metal that has been rubbed smooth instead of just chipped/scratched. the imprinted text you usually find on weapons would also help break up the long smooth areas.

also your UVs seem to be really wasteful 1/3 or your texture space seems unused. in the diffuse the handle wood seems to be overlapping the underside of the slide (i think) and your specular map could be greatly improved. Instead of just black, white and 50% grey, get some more variation in there, surface impurities, tints of color like blue here and there so instead of being either no spec or 100% white, which i would really not advise, it has the actual properties of the materials.

If you are looking to get a brushed metal/chrome look on the slide, add some brushed metal lines in your spec so when the light rolls off it it reveals new details and the actual surface material.

Looks like a decent start but the textures could be improved, and especially the UV layout, take a look at racer's AK tut for some texturing goodness, hes got some dope tutorials.

http://www.racer445.com/
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ive watched bits and pieces of racers tutorial, im gunna sit down with some popcorn and follow the entire tutorial one of these days when i have time.

I thought specular maps could only be black a white? 0o.
  • Revel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    Hi dude, good model..but I think your map need more work, metal texture shouldn't be like that with random scratches all over the map..you should put it in the area with a lot of moving part like where the top part meet the gun body. I don't think your thumb can cause that much scratches around the handle.

Btw, the 3rd map beside the normal map, is that a spec map?..you should put more effort creating it, its not as simple as putting threshold filter on your diffuse map. Do more research and or watch Racer445's tutorial, it'll give you a great idea to start with.

EDIT:
    Wow when I submit, suddenly got 2 reply. About the spec map, its an information of your material's property. It will control your specular color (I'm not sure about the specular level, but i think you can just use the global setting with gloss map for the control of the how diffused or glossy your material is). It looks like you put it on the spec level slot right? if its just black and white then you can only get 100% spec or 0% spec.

_Revel
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The thumb spot isnt that scratched, the sunlight is just directly reflecting right there. I usually put faint scratches all over the map because thats what racer did in his metal texture, i try to keep it low though. Its more noticeable on the map than on the gun.
  • Revel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    Yea its ok to put random scratch on the metal texture but becareful not to overdo it, it will looks bad.

Hmm..I see, but as you can see that the effect of your spec map. As you can see at that part got black and white spot, making the white part become 100% reflecting light (spec) and the black 0% reflecting light (spec).

Owh and 1 more tips, multiply your AO map on top of the diffuse map. It'll make the "3D shape" more obvious in the 2d map.

_Revel
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I already set it to multiply.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I tried adding some grain to the texture along with some more variant. Ill look more into detail tomorrow, as this was sorta rushed

colti.png
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    There are a lot of important and fairly basic pistol features that are entirely missing. The 1911 is well known for its grip safety, which here is entirely absent. The other main offender is the lack of detail around the muzzle. You are missing the barrel bushing and the recoil spring plug.
    What the hell are those things? You don't have to memorize a weapon's components before modeling one, but understanding basic operations will stop you from making such huge and obvious oversights as the above. When you understand the pistol cannot be fired without depressing the grip safety on the back of the grip, you will probably remember to model it in.

Looking up disassembly guides is a good idea for an overview of rifle parts and what should and should not be modeled--what will be visible when the gun is animated, and what seldom or never will.

for instance:
    http://surplusrifle.com/pistol1911/disassemble/index.asp
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I saw all of these in the references i used and left them out by choice. I seem to have alot of issues and frustration when baking weird shapes like those, not to mention modeling them. These are quick but still reference based little projects ive created to help me with uv mapping and texturing. When i have the time to make a very nice one where i can avoid my learning obstacles ill add every detail i can find and spend alot longer on the textures. Until then im new to all of these shapes and id rather learn than think frustratingly at the screen.

The handle safety wouldn't have been that hard now that i think of it.