Home Contests & Challenges Archives

TF2 - Polypack - Coolbot4k

Replies

• Coolbot4k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Coolbot4k polycounter lvl 10
    Thanks for the comments.

I took the advice and rescaled/repositions the hat. I also went and combined the hat and mask into a single item, and made the moustache/goatee a misc. I didn't like the results:

newhatthing.jpg

I think it's due to the facial hair becoming too exagerated, and the fact that the mask just doesn't look so good with out it. Also the hat/mask combo was 900+ triangles, so it was over the limit. I'm planning on redoing it by making it a hat/mask/moustache combo as Khthon suggested.

To do so however, I'm going to have to simplify the mask to have less triangles. Which of these designs do you guys prefere?

maskstyles.jpg

Also, because of this change I'll have an extra slot to work with. I'm thinking of making a revolver very similar to this:

Paterson_02_big.jpg

But I'm not sure what to do to "TF2-ize" it. Any ideas?
  • Hawt Koffee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hawt Koffee polycounter lvl 13
    with the chin moving around while he speaks and his goatee staying where it is might look pretty weird
  • Coolbot4k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    with the chin moving around while he speaks and his goatee staying where it is might look pretty weird

Yeah, that was a problem with it as well.
    I went and redid the mask. It's all one item now:

spy_zorro_finalhat.jpg?t=1275972930

I miss the tie in the back, but I think it came out rather nicely. I may go and spruce up the mask's texture to be more cloth like later.

I also began working on the revolver:

colt_concept01.jpg
  • soso188
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    try headband and mustache, without the hat.
    like headband, No over the head part. im failing to capture the correct words
  • Coolbot4k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Perhaps I'll try that. The only thing I dislike about the current one is it's apparent blockyness.

I've made some more progress on the revolver replacement:

coltpreview.jpg

I'm hoping to add some engravings simmilar to these to the silver plated areas:

coltpreview2.jpg

I'm also thinking of making a misc item of a rose to replace the spy's cigarette ( That is, if I don't make the mask seperately)

single%20rose1.jpg
  • Coolbot4k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've gotten the revolver in game:

spanishcolt.jpg

However, it looks rather bland in view model mode:

spanishcolt2.jpg

Any ideas on what I can do?
  • spetch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spetch polycounter lvl 11
    I've got a few suggestion for for you to potentially spice it up. It may look more dynamic if you take the silver material off of the loading cylinder. I would revert back to the original look of the cylinder because it will contrast better with the rest of the gun. Scaling the cylinder may also help alot. It doesn't look like it's lined up with the barrel.
    Also, try rounding the barrel or doing a quick flow connect on the sides to see how that looks. I think the hammer should take on one of the darker colors in the tf2 pallette. I hope this helps. Let me know if you need a paintover to help convey these ideas.
  • Coolbot4k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey everyone,

I had been without access to my computer for the longest time, so I had absolutely no opportunity to work on my items. These are what I had gotten done before said time period:

spy_sabre.jpg
    spy_flower.jpg
    spy_zorro_mask.jpg

Do you guys think I should compile these quickly, with the sabre lacking animations, and hope for the best, or admit utter defeat?
  • Khthon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd suggest working on them till they're finished then using the Contribute Page to submit them. :p