Home Artists Looking For Work

3D character artist required for indie game [PAID]

Hi all,

We are looking for a talented, up and coming freelance character artist with great skills in zBrush or Mudbox and a suitable 3D modelling package (Maya, Max, etc.) to create character models for an independent game project we are currently developing. While we are an independent team and our project is currently self-funded, we have some budget set aside for artists to work with us on a contract basis. Hence the compensation for this work will be reasonable, though admittedly not at the premium levels of professional studios. As such, this role would be well suited to a talented artist who is looking to build up a body of commercial work to establish themselves in the industry.

The work we require involves the creation of game-suitable 3D character models of a 'next-gen' standard with approximately 4000-5000 polygons per character including clothing, weapons and armour. All models will require normal maps to be generated from high resolution sculpts, for which zBrush would be ideal. They should be fully textured with diffuse maps as well as specular and glow maps if the model requires it.

The visual style of the game is best described as gothic fantasy with influences from various ancient cultures including Egyptian and Babylonian civilisations. The ideal candidate for this contract work would have proven ability in the creation of fantasy or medieval style game characters with a realistic appearance.

We have had the pleasure of working with some truly brilliant concept artists on this project and we will be able to supply detailed and high quality concept art for all of the character models that we require. Though there is certainly still scope for the individual artist's style and ideas to shine through.

The initial scope of work involves four character models with a number of additional models to follow as more concept art is completed. Some models will also require variations to be made to certain parts of the model such as the face, hair, clothing, etc. But this additional work will not initially be a priority.

If you are interested in working on this project, please contact me at sandor (at) sixtimesnothing (dot) com with both links to examples of your work and an indication of your rates. I will be happy to send you relevant images of the latest concept art to assist you with a more detailed quote for this work. We are looking for someone who is able to start work soon, hence please also give an indication of your availability.

We will make a decision on one or more artists based on a number of criteria including skill, availability and the suitability and competitiveness of the price for a project of our scale and nature. It is worth noting that there is a high possibility of continued work in the future as we are able to secure additional budget for the project and allocate it to art tasks.

If you would like to learn more about our team, please check out our website at www.sixtimesnothing.com

Lastly, I would prefer if all applications for this contract role were submitted directly to my email address – sandor (at) sixtimesnothing (dot) com – please only use this forum thread for any questions you have relating to the project (which I will answer to the best of my ability), please don't use it for applications.

Thanks for your time!