Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Character Sculpting

I've been really inspired by Joe Pikop to start sculpting out high poly characters. I've never done this before so here's my first shot. These are some screen shots of my work so far, I've decided to post it now that I feel pretty adamant about getting it done. I'm looking for any kind of crits, like what I'm doing wrong, what I could be doing better, "tips/tricks". Go easy on me polycount :)

The basemesh wasn't modeled from the concept so the proportions are a bit off, but I've been fixing it as I go along.

Progress.png
Current Progress

BaseMesh.png
Base Mesh

091009_04.png
Concept by Laurel Austin

Replies

• Moosey_G
    Bump for to save my thread for crits. I'm sure you guys something to say!
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    You should model the parts separately and figure out what parts would be best just to model and which parts should be sculpted.

The buckles/boots/metal bits/ should probably just be modeled, and the vest/pants/head should be separate meshes
  • Moosey_G
    Yeah, I noticed how difficult it was getting to separate and model things. Especially the boots. Thanks for the info.
  • Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    I think you should check your base model first, compare it to the characters base model in that pic and yours is way off, thats a big problem and means that no matter how well you sculpt this will not look much like the character in the concept. Good to see your having fun with sculptris but yeah break it down into easily managable tasks first eg 1.basemesh 2. armour in hardsurface app 3.sculpt
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Offline / Send Message
    Nizza_waaarg polycounter lvl 15
    awsome concept to work from man ^^

agree about splitting things up a bit too... few peices seem like they'd do from some good old fasioned poly modelling as well but sculpting's always fun :P
    arms feel a bit too short and like they're coming out way to low on the body, just gotta pull em up to fit into the shoulder a bit more i think. The mask in the concept has got a more rounder form to it as well which looks really cool, might be an idea to try and get rid of the flatness if you can

cool start so far :)
  • Moosey_G
    Ged wrote: »
    I think you should check your base model first, compare it to the characters base model in that pic and yours is way off, thats a big problem and means that no matter how well you sculpt this will not look much like the character in the concept. Good to see your having fun with sculptris but yeah break it down into easily managable tasks first eg 1.basemesh 2. armour in hardsurface app 3.sculpt

Okay, sounds good. When you say armor in the hard surface app do you mean like a base of the armor, or all of the armor (zippers, accessories, etc.)

awsome concept to work from man ^^

agree about splitting things up a bit too... few peices seem like they'd do from some good old fasioned poly modelling as well but sculpting's always fun :P
    arms feel a bit too short and like they're coming out way to low on the body, just gotta pull em up to fit into the shoulder a bit more i think. The mask in the concept has got a more rounder form to it as well which looks really cool, might be an idea to try and get rid of the flatness if you can

cool start so far :)

Thanks for the tips guys I hope I can sort things out a bit more after retopologizing. Here's the finished product. Progress_Complete.png