Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Western Gatling Gun wip

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Wonkey polycounter lvl 10
Hello PolyCount, I love your work! I made a gatling gun for a spring "old west' project. The project is completed but the gun needs work, and I was hoping and begging for insight to improve it to start my portfolio.

Gat_Referance.jpg

The group wanted the 6 barrels without the casing (or I did, I forget which).

Gatling%20Gun%20Perspective.jpg

Gatling%20wire%20Perspective.jpg

Gatling%20wire%20FrontBank.jpg

Gatling%20wire%20Side.jpg

Gatling%20wire%20Top.jpg

Any Feedback would be appreciated.

Replies

• n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Textures are muddy and bland. Render or screencap's lighting needs to be stronger to show off the model. The wheels could do with some more polies so they're not so blocky but that's just my opinion. The overall design is strong I think though.
  • Christian Hjerpe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Christian Hjerpe polycounter lvl 11
    I agree with n88tr, the wheels need more polies. They look too lowpoly compared to the other parts. Also you need to work on the textures more, the wooden stuff doesnt look like wood etc.
    Anyways cool model and keep up the work!
  • A-N-P
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A-N-P polycounter lvl 6
    Cool model but I also think the wheels are a bit too blocky in contrast with the rest of the model, for example the barrel housing thing lol. Nice time to start modeling this again, you might be able to get some nice reference from playing Red Dead Redemption :) Im sure you could take a look at the Gatling Gun in the game and pick up some texturing tips?
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
  • Wonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My computer went down, but trying to work with an older one, enough whining, some updates.

Snader: thank you man, that paintover helped alot! I went from 11,507 tris to 7,346, there are still a few loops that are wasted, but once I am back to texturing I will delete them (using them to seperate metal from wood). Do I need more detail on the trailer hitch?

Hopefully I can clear/clean up the textures once I am done with the unwrap, again :)

Gatling%20Wire%20Perspective%20v2.jpg

Gatling%20Gun%20v2%20Grey.jpg

If you see more mistakes, please point them out.
  • Grimm_Wrecking
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grimm_Wrecking polycounter lvl 8
    The exterior of the barrels is actually a hexagon.
    (Edit: I suppose it really depends on the model/personal pref..)

So you could do 6 outside 12 inside for a smooth look. Like this.
  • Wonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grim: Hmmm, I see what you are saying, oddly it isn't the same in all the referance pics I have, about 50/50, though the older looking barrels look hex, but some of the other older ones, lol.

I have a bigger version of your pic, if you look carefully, it is hex at the end, but just on the other side of the ...plate I guess, it goes round, as if it were an attachment or a way to unscrew the entire barrel. But, only a few are like that. I think I will take lazy way out and leave it alone, unless you or anyone else feels strongly one way or another.