Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

629 S&W Stealth hunter (revolver)

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
Would love some crits on this before i call it done.

Tris: 2966
Mapsize: 2048*2048
Shader: koddeShader 0.6
Maps:
  • Diffuse
  • Specular
  • Gloss
  • Reflectivity
  • Normal
  • Ambient occlusion

One cool tip i can give from this project was texturing wise. And that is how to easy get some basic scratches.
  • Make a cavitymap from your normalmap using EMB
  • Play with the levels so that it's just white lines on black
  • Use the filter "thorn edges" untile it looks good
  • Make it into a layer mask and use it with a solid color layer.
  • Edit it as you need

CREDIT GOES TO racer445! Thx! :poly121:

nodi81.jpg
2elbaqh.jpg

Replies

• Hoopla!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hoopla! polygon
    very nice, is spec a lil low on the dark metal or just kinda low light in scene?
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    Could you post the texture sheets?
  • JonathanF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JonathanF polycounter lvl 13
    sweet gun! really love the wood handle!
  • Animesh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This looks really well done, but it doesn't look used much. If you were going for a used look, some more scratches and grime in the seams and edges of the loader will help.

For a new look all I can suggest is maybe a darker wood on the handle.
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    Too dark, and in game it may look pitch black. It's especially apparent on a bright background like you have there. A nice three point light setup could also help.

If you're going for the clean look then a good spec with unique details is extremely important. Minor scratches and oily blobs that aren't on the diffuse will help add some subtle details and sell the texture. If Kimono posted in this thread he'd probably say that the spec map is the one he spends the most time on.

The grip has that "straight outta CAD" look. Too much of a straight photo with not a whole lot of editing. You may also want to consider changing this to a darker wood so it doesn't contrast with the metal so much.

The model looks pretty good, with a good clean bake. The only thing worth noting are the fan tris on the front of the cylinder. I've been told those aren't good for performance.

I for sure did not come up with that xnormal cavity trick, though I did make that tutorial I suppose. It's a really cheap hack that does work as a starting point but isn't "correct." Have a look at this thread if you want. I've been looking for solutions to this for a while and a "surface curvature map" is exactly what I want but isn't at all easily made.
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
    Love the duct tape. :D Was that zbrushed or composited with crazybump?
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah thank you for your comments! I will tweak the light setup and post flats soon, need some breakfast! :D Sat with this until five AM last night >.<

I'm going for a used, but not "dirty used". More of a, i'm professional in my killing business and i clean my gun, approach :P I will absolutely look into darkening down the wood.

As for the cavitymap thing shown by racer, i only used it for "base" scratches and not at all as a multiply for the AO. I have to say that your tut gave some nice grounds for a base metal to. Very thankful! :)

Right now i use the same "scratch layers" in both diffuse/spec/gloss/reflectivity with some tweaks ofc. Should i do a new scratch layer for all of them or just the spec, in you opinion. And with new i ofc mean complimentary :)

The ductape is a mix of HP in maya, photo-sauce-ing (gota LOVE the new puppet warp in CS5!) and then CB :)
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WOW a whole day without PC? >.<

Changed the diffuse, specular, gloss and the normal. Changed the light setup to. The rimlight in Kodde shader seems to be of, for me anyway, works fine in v.3 but ot v.6. I'll maybe used that one instead.

1zfikbs.jpg
    2hgsjz9.jpg
    j9mwwo.jpg
    2wch9gl.jpg
  • Mega^
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The revolver looks really nice! Especially the wooden handle.
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thx :) I've done some minor changes in the handle, trying to give it some more life. Any suggestions?
  • Spitfire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The metal is a little too dark, try breaking it up with more specularity, maybe its just the lighting in your scene.
    It needs to flow together with that beautiful wodden handle you got there.

Looks good and clean overall though!
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll try to tweak up the spec a bit more, but the diffuse is really light as it is. From the refs i have, the gun is "pitch black". But it needs to be interesting to look at to (:

I'm trying some new settings in the shader to, using a cubemap as a ambient environment light. But the one i tried with was to highres.

I'ts also two days left until deadline for our game-project, time is a rare thing these days, headache isn't.
  • Big Boss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey man... everything is looking great!
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mostly edited the handle textures.

Close to call this done.

160oe45.jpg
    23ru9o5.jpg
    jim840.jpg

And the texture flats.. Real size 2k

629textureflatcombo.jpg

[EDIT]: Photoshop is really misleading regarding the darkness in the pictures :S
    [EDIT2]: Realized that tinypic crops pictures abowe 1600 >.< changed to imagehack, even thou i HATE it (:
  • JonathanF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JonathanF polycounter lvl 13
    WOW! amazing work! yeah, the wood is looking great now!
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    the use of an extra reflection mask instead of reusing the spec seams overkill to me...
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO wrote: »
    the use of an extra reflection mask instead of reusing the spec seams overkill to me...

Yeah, maybe, the thing was that i wasn't satisfied with the result i got from using the spec. Since this is a show piece i feel like the "looks" is a priority over performance.

@JonathanF Thx man (:
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Diffuse is awesome. The gun looks like matte plastic with shiny plastic for the grip, though. Darken the diffuse if you want, brighten the spec dramatically. Even matte guns have a lot more sheen than that!
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah,i think you'r right. Got some idea about how wrong your comment was and thought that a real picture would show you exactly how much. That is how wrong i was :D Haven't looked at this picture since the highpoly. A lot more spec i guess, witch means less dark diffuse to balance it out.

Should add that i'm going fr the same feel as the material on the ref, not the colors. (:

5-629StealthHunter.jpg
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Np man. You may want to reference resident gun modelling badass Earthquake's textures too, as far as level of contrast in the specular goes --

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showpost.php?p=902435&postcount=124
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showpost.php?p=818309&postcount=103

(he's rendering in marmoset though, results may vary.)

The biggest thing to keep in mind, i think, that looks wrong to me right now, is that unless that grip is super vanished it should be significantly darker on the spec than whatever value the metal ends up at.
  • P442
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    P442 polycounter lvl 8
    mmm, nice model. grip needs some grunge, and the black metal is too dark, i think. Could also use some more edge detail, i.e. scratches and what not where appropriate to bring the shape out more.