Home Technical Talk

maya/max duality? ui conversion?

some questions that are bugging me!

1. is it possible to work with max and maya in the same pipeline (e.g. max for modeling and maya for uv)?

2. where can i find any plugins that convert maya's keyboard shortcuts to max's?

3. are there any maya plugins that do some thing that max is great at, for example: shell modifiers?

im proficient in max, but am studying maya under digital tutors and it seems all 3d programs lack somewhere...can't we just combine all 3 to make 'maxaysi'? (max's modeling workflow, mayas interface and uving, and xsi's mod tool) :poly105:

Replies

• pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    1. Yes, but it means two expensive licenses for one artist, not ideal.
    2. Useless, if you use both because they compliment each other you wont need the same tool in both. Just use Draster Switcher for the Maya navigation in Max (its the superior one, not the other way around :P). Also, assigning keyboard shortcuts manually is fairly easy in both Max and Maya, dont hesitate to ask if you need help.
    3. There are some, but its always hacky and annoying. If you can keep Max for this, keep it!

Good luck! Maya has some very elegant sides to it but its also limited as you noticed already.
  • PredatorGSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PredatorGSR polycounter lvl 14
    I currently use both, and there are a couple things that make it smoother.

- Use dRaster plugin (not free), to use the same viewport navigation in both programs, and use the same shift/control functions in both programs. This allows you to switch back and forth without having to switch your brain back and forth.

- Use the same custom hotkeys in both programs. Almost all of my hotkeys are custom, so I just redid them manually for similar functions in Max, but dRaster can set Max to use the default Maya hotkeys, or vice versa.

- I wouldn't get used to a pipeline that requires both programs, because no studio could ever justify the cost of buying both of them. I've just created a similar workflow for both, so that I can use either program and the results and speed of the workflow are similar.

- Max's UV tools are missing some Maya functions, but if you install TexTools it brings them closer, and even includes some functions that Maya can't do. I also extracted some functions from TexTools like Rotate +90 and Align Up/Down/Left/Right, so that I could assign them to hotkeys like I do in Maya. After a lot of tweaking and some minor scripting, I have the uv tools working about the same, with some minor differences.

- I don't know of any way to use a modifier like system with Maya, it is a just a fundamental difference.
  • zerg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thank you so much guys! im downloading textools and watching the tuts right now.
  • Kyodan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Max's UV tools are missing some Maya functions, but if you install TexTools it brings them closer, and even includes some functions that Maya can't do. I also extracted some functions from TexTools like Rotate +90 and Align Up/Down/Left/Right, so that I could assign them to hotkeys like I do in Maya. After a lot of tweaking and some minor scripting, I have the uv tools working about the same, with some minor differences.

Would you be willing to share your script/tweaks? I loved TexTools in Max and wished similar functionality would be brought to Maya, since that's what I work with mostly now.
  • PredatorGSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PredatorGSR polycounter lvl 14
    These scripts are still used in Max, not Maya, it just brings some of the Maya stuff to Max, like being able to use a hotkey to align vertices and rotate. I posted them there http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?p=1135878#post1135878.