Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Rage inspired scene

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Serp polycounter lvl 17
It's a wip. Based on the screenshot from Rage below this. I've included some props from my Plaza scene I made.

rage10.jpg

72170rage01.jpg

Hmmm. Mine looks very white and blow out. Any advice on this? I might make the floor darker or something. Or mess with the scene effects.

Without lights:

rage10unlit.jpg

I think the lighting is letting it down. Looks better without lights lol

Replies

• whipSwitch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whipSwitch polycounter lvl 8
    I 'd say the biggest issue at the moment is you scene has a distinct lack of color. almost everything is gray. If you look at the Rage scene, almost everything has some color to it.
  • BlackulaDZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree about the lighting and lack of color, I suggest playing with post processing, and changing the color of the lights as well as their strength
  • Cyrael
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cyrael polycounter lvl 10
    honestly imo I think its just the lighting, there's too stark a contrast between the really hot spots and the really dark spots, if you fix this by evening it out a bit, if you look at the rage screen its not quite such a stark contrast, but still has enough contrast to look nice.

In the rage scene it looks like there's some nice colored fill lights going on to simulate the GI effect, whereas in your scene it looks mainly like youve got your key light and thats it..

its def. a really nice start though. and with some tweaks could be on par with the same quality as that rage scene. nice work :-)
  • Serp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Serp polycounter lvl 17
    Yeah your right I just have the key light because I thought that's all they had in that Rage screenshot. But now I'm thinking that they must have used more. So I'm adding more coloured lights at the mo.
  • Serp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Serp polycounter lvl 17
    -Added more colour to the floormore
    -Grime to the walls
    -Made the sides of the image darker
    -Added lightbeams at the back
    -More coloured lights
    -Slight Dof
    -Slight overall fog and another fog at the bottom

Even though the detail I've put in the textures is harder to see, I'm going to show the unlit version in my portfolio anyway. So potential employers can see.

I may even stick in my purple gun as a fps gun.

rage12.jpg
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    why is there an intact window on the ground?
  • Kevin Albers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Albers polycounter lvl 18
    Nice progress! I would either get rid of the light near the top left of the door, or tone it down a bit and have it match the color of the main light, so that it comes off as bounced light from the main light source. Also, the fog seems too strong, like there has been a gas attack right outside the room.
    Keep it at...should be a nice piece once it's all done :)
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    bring the saturation of red up more!
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Yeah the intact window doesn't make much sense. and rotate the stop sign a bit, its too head on IMO.
  • Gilgamesh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gilgamesh polycounter lvl 12
    why is there an intact window on the ground?

I was going to say this, what is it's purpose. Not many fully intact windows with zero damage just lying around, especially in a post-apoc world/scene like that.
  • Zack Fowler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Fowler polycounter lvl 11
    To get the look of the Rage scene, one of the main things you need to do is play with post-process. It looks like they've reddened their shadows and midtones. Here's an example I whipped up using Color Balance in Photoshop, and you should be able to get similar results using the post process options in UDK (which I assume you're using here).

serp_colortweak.jpg

The per-map UDK color balance post process settings can be found under View>World Properties, and then WorldInfo>Default Post Process Settings> Scene_ High Lights, Scene_ Mid Tones, and Scene_Shadows.
  • Serp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Serp polycounter lvl 17
    Thanks dude!!! Yeah that's more of what I'm aiming for.

So did you just add more red in the shadows and midtones?
  • Zack Fowler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Fowler polycounter lvl 11
    I pumped up the greens for highlights a bit too, not as strongly as the red for the shadows though. Definitely play around with it, it seems like there are more blues in the Rage shot than my mockup for one thing.

Be careful when working on a scene with this much post process though, you'll want to flip the post on and off often to make sure your textures make sense in a neutral scene rather than relying on the post too much.
  • raul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    looks cool, tho it seems to me like your just using that picture alone as reference. You need to start thinking of the history of the elements in the scene and how they tie together. Also, some things, need a second grunge pass.

Looking sharp!
  • zxcman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zxcman polycounter lvl 10