Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Sci-Fi Cliff Side Scene

Hey here are a couple different renders of my Cliff Side Scene. Was for my Perspective class using 3d Studio Max and Zbrush.

We were taught how to manipulate planes to lower our tri count. None of these cliffs were actually modeled out, only the landing pad and the houses.

**I know there are no doors, I will try to drop them in later**

Render 1:

Duong_APScene_Render1.jpg

Render 2:

Duong_APScene_Render2.jpg

I will post all the maps used when I get a chance to compile them all into 1 jpg.

Kevin

Replies

• Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    I think the scale of the normal map textures are throwing the scale of the buildings way off, but only on the walkways.. The bump/normal detail is far too large for how big the buildings should be. also I think you could refine the rusty top part of the walkways a bit more (along with scaling it down like the other building normal/bump maps.) The detail of the rocks/cliffs just doesn't match up with the texture scale of the hangar, they are far too detailed and refined in the image. It's almost like the issue I've run into in film where when you place CG over a live action plate... you can immediately spot the CG if the surface detail of the models are not scaled equivalent to the background plate... that and usually film grain is an issue, but that shouldn't concern you :P

Great work though!
  • Daniel Doerksen
    has lots of potential but the landings/walkways have no where to go?
  • Asteric
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice, same crits as what Progg said. The landing platforms that are scattered around the cliffside really reminds me of that scene from Star wars Ep 3
  • KevinDuong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the comments guys.

Sorry that I didn't get to bring the buildings to a finish for this scene. I was juggling it with the post-apocalyptic scene that I have also posted up on poly count.

These were class projects, so some sacrifices were made so that I could finish both scenes on time.

If I have time, I will go back and redesign the structures so that they can communicate some sort of purpose.

Kevin Duong
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
    Wow, I wonder if this is something art school induces. I had an almost identical concept that I did when I was studying, with the buildings built into canyon faces and the circular landing pads extended out on cantilever structures.

Cool! I like it! :D