Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Sci-fi Rifle WIP

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
boyluya polycounter lvl 10
Another stuff for my portfolio. Almost done, I just have to rebake the normals to fix some shading errors and maybe add a bit more to the texture (depending on what you guys recommend). Realtime shots in max viewport with Xoliul's shader. Concept art by Jim Svanberg.

side-1.jpg

fpv2.jpg

fpv.jpg

top.jpg

Concept art

Assault_rifle_by_jimsvanberg.jpg

Wires

rifle_wires.jpg

Replies

• Titus S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lol... Seriously no comments?

This thing looks bad ass.

Reminds me more of a shot gun with that fore grip and no butt (I see yours is retractable) :/

But it looks helllllllllllllllllla good no doubt.
  • SimonT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonT interpolator
    yeah cool gun!
  • Cap Hotkill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cap Hotkill polycounter lvl 13
    Very nice! my only crit would be about that Sticker on the top, Move it somewere else because it makes the Low poly curve too much noticeable.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Super-badass, dude. Looks like a fine bake too.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Very nice! my only crit would be about that Sticker on the top, Move it somewere else because it makes the Low poly curve too much noticeable.
    that was my only major thought too, in FPS mode, it looks awful, but the other angles aren't AS bad, but it could be placed better IMO.
  • ajr2764
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ajr2764 polycounter lvl 10
    Well Im a big fan of sci-fi and I must say that the model is of quality, very nice modeling and great bake.
  • brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 13
    schmexy :)

I'll agree with whats being said about the tape. I think I'd rather see the name carved in with a knife rather than tape though. But who knows. lol.

Looks great though. Nice work.
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    Really nice! The only thing, besides that tape maby, is that a bit more self AO wouldn't hurt. And maybe some "use-scratches" for the moving parts, like the safety or whatever. Looking good however (:
  • armagon9177
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    armagon9177 polycounter lvl 18
    you have a great design there. really nice work. you have a really cool design with the collapseable stock in the back. while used for a game it wouldn't be visable while in first person, it would be noticable that the but of the stock is too small if visable on the ground or in another players hands.

the back stock design is really kick ass and i think you could capitalize on that more. i would bring it further out and increase it's size. if the stock looks like it hugs the carriers shoulder more i think it would lend more credibility to this being a badass powerful weapon.

think about how you would hold this weapon, it's scale and where it would rest on your shoulder. the weapon is a bit front heavy looking as well. increasing the size of the stock would give it a more balanced design.

right now that part doesn't look realistically functional. i only offer lots of criticism on that because you have such a badass design. better than a lot of AAA games i see. i can tweak the side render in photoshop quickly if you would like to show you what i mean.

SUB-****ing-BLIME dude. love it!!!

edit**

i also noticed the colors used leaves a lot of light silver in the front. i would match that silver with the rear sight piece or another major piece light silver near the back to give it better composition. see the lights i used here to make an even scanline of color that your eyes follow.

http://img338.imageshack.us/i/dmcarbonbetav12.jpg/

exactly what you did with the stron silver piece right above where the magazine is inserted. it could just be an adjustment of your specular map. one render is perfect while the others with mroe light increase the composition issue. hope this post was helpful, that was my aim. nice work regardless.
  • boyluya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you guys! Honestly I really don't know how some of its parts work hehe. I just followed what the concept says. And yeah, I'll be adjusting that piece of tape or sticker.

Xoliul: Thanks laurens, really love your shader. Too bad I can't get cubemaps work for some reason.

armagon9177: Thanks mate. I read your pm but didn't quite get what you were trying to say.
  • Mechadus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is purely a micro-bitch because this gun is bad-ass beyond reason... The only thing I can think of that would add to it would be some grime in the recessed glowy areas. If this was used regularly dirt and grease would eventually get crammed in there. Just a bit of noise on the emissive map would probaby do the trick. Fantastic work!
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
    Looks fantastic!

Only tiny gripe I have is those spikes sticking down on either side near the back of the pistol grip - they look like they'd impale anybody trying to hold it.

EDIT: The more I look at it in the concept, the more that shape looks like it's supposed to be a contoured fillet that wraps from one side of the gun, down across the back of the pistol grip, and back up to the other side, to provide a smooth rounded seat for the web of the hand, between the thumb and trigger finger.

I LOVE the texture work. You should do a video tutorial with this - it's a very clean and very eye-catching model without too many really convoluted shapes, which would make it easy to learn from.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    it's super cool, but you interpreted the concept painfully wrong. By painful I mean, those spikes would stab anyone in the hand that wanted to fire this weapon.
  • Electro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Electro polycounter lvl 18
    Very neat indeed. Bake looks good too!

One thing with the texturing is that the edge wear is on some inner edges, that wouldn't really be able to get scratches/scuffs on them in those spots. That really is being picky though.

The spikes are a bit weird as cholden mentioned, but I like the overall piece so much that I can just look past that :P Learn for your next piece and just keep bashing em out mate!
  • wake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wake polycounter lvl 17
    My main crit has more to do with the concept than the model-- which is that you should lose the glowy bits. It's a really tired and and lazy trope for indicating futuristic design. "This weapon is from the future, because it GLOWS." If you're doing a weapon design for TRON, then sure, go with the luminescent racing stripes. Otherwise, if the concept is for an even vaguely realistic world then you realize anything glowing on a weapon is utterly impractical. Besides, this design is strong enough to read without the glowy bits.

Otherwise I agree with some previous posts in that the stock needs to be bigger; the gun looks like it kicks like a mule, especially with the shotgun/grenade launcher undercarriage, and to fire it you'll want a sizable butt on the stock. It's a beautiful piece though, great work.
  • Lonewolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lonewolf polycounter lvl 18
    looks really good dude, looks sharp
  • boyluya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha thakns guys! Yeah I guess that's the downside of using this gun.

electro and lonewolf: Thanks. Your works are such an inspiration to me.
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk polycounter lvl 10
    Nice gun but take off those spikes or fix them and integrate into the handle like the concept. Honestly it breaks the whole piece for me because it's functionally useless.
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    BoyLuyA = Boy Lover

Thats how I read the sticker at first glance at least :\

It looks slick dude. Nice style. It could use a good reflection map though to push the metal bits in it.
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Damn dude, so awesome.

I agree with the comments about the spike pieces. Also, if that stock was extended, it looks like it would be a little flimsy for a gun like that. That's a VERY small gripe though, I just felt like I had to add something instead of repeating what everyone else said, lol.
  • boyluya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys. I already made some changes and I'll be posting the final images plus the texture flats once I get home.

whats_true: I'm not a gay! Haha! :poly124:
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SpeCter polycounter lvl 14
    Looks badass!
    Why don´t you give the 3Point Shader a try, this thing really rocks, espacially with high quality normals enabled.
    Nothing against Xoliul´s shader(it´s very good too) but 3point shader is just almost uncomparable.