Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

guns, lots of guns

Replies

• Kitteh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kitteh polycounter lvl 18
    marks wrote: »
    Again, not particularly constructive - what do you think is missing? If you could try to keep the passive-aggressive arrogance out of your posts, it would be appreciated, try to remember that this is production art and not "I have 5 months to make 1 texture look awesome" hobbyist stuff.

wow, another Mark Sneddon thread

"I want crits but I'm going to attack you if you give me anything but praise"

you've been doing this for years; you're not going to get any better if you keep reacting this way
  • marks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marks greentooth
    There's a way to post crits in a constructive manner, and there's a way to be an arrogant douche. Surfa's post is the former, Harry's is the latter. Not that I should expect anything less from the CDG in-crowd though.

I've added Harry to my forum ignore list anyway so whatever, I mean his posts just troll and every other person who has posted crits in this thread has been genuinely helpful.
  • Surfa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Surfa polycounter lvl 12
    Harry wrote: »
    I
    PS. im not sure exactly what the last guy is trying to say. In this context "plastic" and "polymer" generally refer to the same shit.

Yeah that was a mistake I meant it looks like a polymer grip like those found on glock pistol and other. Whilst the m4 stocks looks like it is made of a smoother type of plastic.

Also yes I know that plastics are generally polymers. I suppose I just phased out and didn't finish that sentence.
  • [Deleted User]
    mark, that said, listening to crits is worthwhile whether they're given in a derogatory way or not
  • FrozenCore#6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice Guns :D

I Really Love The Textures :)
  • Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    marks wrote: »
    There's a way to post crits in a constructive manner, and there's a way to be an arrogant douche. Surfa's post is the former, Harry's is the latter. Not that I should expect anything less from the CDG in-crowd though.

I've added Harry to my forum ignore list anyway so whatever, I mean his posts just troll and every other person who has posted crits in this thread has been genuinely helpful.

wow okay
    If you really think I'm trolling you're welcome to report it
    Surfa wrote: »
    Yeah that was a mistake I meant it looks like a polymer grip like those found on glock pistol and other. Whilst the m4 stocks looks like it is made of a smoother type of plastic.

Also yes I know that plastics are generally polymers. I suppose I just phased out and didn't finish that sentence.

Yeah I wasn't implying you were retarded or anything, but thought you might be ill-informed/tired/sidetracked/drunk/not good with words so I figured I would mention it so mark (and possibly others) weren't left puzzling over how to make something look like polymer vs make something look like plastic
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    The first thing I noticed about your M4 (and actually most of your props and weapons you have on your portfolio) is how bland the lighting setup is. It looks like a single omni with materials that have a very low specular. Have you tried out xoliul's viewport shader yet? It allows you to use many common engine shader effects and it's totally free! http://www.laurenscorijn.com/viewportshader

Your specular isn't doing anything. Metal, plastics, and other hard surfacey materials are 90% specular. Specular can do so much for you, especially if you want to achieve a clean look. On the specular, just add some nice unique details such as edge scrapes, some select random scrapes, areas with worn off finish, and discolored areas. You can also use color on the specular to differentiate types of materials. This is especially useful when you have an object made almost entirely of metal.

So yeah, specular specular specular! As long as you think about the material before you act then you will be fine.

The plastic is also oddly flat, and because of your UV density, the noise is unevenly scaled between all the pieces. Plastic DOES tend to be noisy when light hits it, but otherwise fairly flat. Plastic also tends to have a rather high, glossy specular while reflecting a very blurred environment. Again, specular is everything here. Try something like this: https://speedytoys.com/images/SDJBI28.jpg

Your dirt and other wear is currently very strange. Starting from the back, the stock dirt is just kind of sitting there, especially odd since that is where your cheek would rest. Your stock tube is unharmed, which is odd since that is what the stock itself slides on, and thus would wear it down. On to the receiver; how come the area around the magazine latch (not by the button, mind you) is worn down, yet many of the commonly touched corners and large areas that are sticking out are unharmed? Moving up, the rail covers are bland as I already mentioned, but the main thing bothering me is the dirt. It seems oddly saturated and slapped on with no real sense to it. The dirt on the barrel is the same way.

Dirt is more often in small crevices than big flat areas. You can try colorizing a copy of the ao (use hue/saturation,) then playing with the blendif options along with using a mask. It's a very quick way to add some dirt.

I hope this helps!
  • marks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marks greentooth
    Racer445 wrote: »
    The first thing I noticed about your M4 (and actually most of your props and weapons you have on your portfolio) is how bland the lighting setup is. It looks like a single omni with materials that have a very low specular. Have you tried out xoliul's viewport shader yet?

Well, the specular is pretty strong but I think I just super fail at lighting setups, mostly any setup using multiple lights drowns out the normalmaps, and anything with a single lightsource leaves lots of the model not lit enough. I tried with just a strong key and rim light (no fill) which seems to work a bit better:

ar15aug12.jpg

Your specular isn't doing anything. Metal, plastics, and other hard surfacey materials are 90% specular. Specular can do so much for you, especially if you want to achieve a clean look. On the specular, just add some nice unique details such as edge scrapes, some select random scrapes, areas with worn off finish, and discolored areas. You can also use color on the specular to differentiate types of materials. This is especially useful when you have an object made almost entirely of metal.

So yeah, specular specular specular! As long as you think about the material before you act then you will be fine.

Definitely a fair comment, the spec sucks on this piece at the moment, I can and need to do better. I'll invest some time into it for sure as I want this to be a long-standing portfolio piece if it turns out good enough.
    The plastic is also oddly flat, and because of your UV density, the noise is unevenly scaled between all the pieces. Plastic DOES tend to be noisy when light hits it, but otherwise fairly flat. Plastic also tends to have a rather high, glossy specular while reflecting a very blurred environment. Again, specular is everything here.

This is a problem I've run into before, is there any way of tackling this without simply using larger textures/more texture space? (The noise scale between differently scaled UV shells).

I hope this helps!
    Loads, thanks a lot! :)