Home General Discussion

Seattle bound. Who's there?

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
Matabus polycounter lvl 19
So I am moving to Seattle to start my new jorb at Runic end of this month (May).

I am looking for places to live currently and can't really trust the realtor/apt hunters I've been speaking with because they are biased based on which apt complex sponsors them.

So who all is out there? What are some nice areas to live right downtown (I have been spoiled with pretty much no commute my entire professional career so I don't wanna start now)? How does everyone like it out there?

Thanks! :)

Replies

• Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    welcome to the area duder, and congrats on the gig!

I wouldn't recommend actually living downtown unless you like homeless people and fighting coked-up guidos outside clubs. Capitol hill is one of the closest districts to downtown and it's where I live... it's a good place to go if you're in your mid-20's and like having a life outside of work. And by "having a life" I mean drinking, eating out and generally being a hedonist. The one downside is the hipsters. They're everywhere, like flannel-wearing cockroaches with poor music taste.

You chose a good time to move to seattle, summers here are glorious, especially if you like camping/hiking.

Shoot me a pm when you're in the area man, I'll show ya the best places to score crack and meet ugly chicks.
  • Paul Pepera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paul Pepera polycounter lvl 9
    I have been living in Seattle for just 8 months now, so some of the more established Seattleites will probably have more useful information.

I live in Belltown currently, which is the district just north of downtown Seattle proper. Lots of bars and restaurants in the area (all overpriced), and tons of new apartments and condos are springing up in the area (also all overpriced). Belltown used to be a very sketchy part of Seattle but is quickly transforming into an established downtown residential area; though it can still be rowdy here, especially on weekend nights. (Few weeks ago several police officers had their guns drawn on some dude right in front of my apartment at 3 AM in the morning). Also the Space Needle/Seattle Center is located here so dealing with crowds of tourists can get annoying. I never planned on living in Belltown permanently and eventually plan to move somewhere less hectic, probably to Queene Anne, or even further north; close enough to the city without having to deal with all the drunkards and hobos constantly asking for money.

If you don't mind dealing with the homeless, drug users, drunken clubers, loud noises and constant construction, horrible traffic congestion, overpriced food and property, downtown Seattle might just be the place for you (just like any downtown). Please avoid Pioneer Square, during the day it's nice but at night I won't go near that place.
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    Ferg wrote: »
    I wouldn't recommend actually living downtown unless you like homeless people and fighting coked-up guidos outside clubs. .

I laughed.
  • Cheez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Might be too far of a commute for you, but Fremont/Wallingford is very nice. I've been living in that area for going on 2 years and have been loving it. Its much quieter, not many bums (if that bothers you), plenty to do yadda yadda. And its really just a hop/skip/jump to downtown.

Plus you can have lunch outside the Adobe building and throw things at it.

What ?
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Farkin' LOVE Torchlight! and LOVE seattle!!!!

XD Grats on the gig!!
  • jocose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jocose polycounter lvl 11
    Yo, welcome to the area, we gotta do another meet up soon.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    I have been here for 4 years now, but i'm on the east side(Kirkland). So i can't help too much with where to live in the west side(Seattle proper). So they are in downtown Seattle then?

Either way congrats, and yeah well have to do a meet up once you get settled in.

EDIT: I live in Kirkland because i cant fight the urge to hunt down hobos when i see them, Condemned trained me too well.

Also don't trust what ferg says, he has just as bad taste as the hipsters! Speaking of hipsters where is stoofoo?
  • Moosey_G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seattle is full of hipsters and hobos. You have been forewarned.
  • Em.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Em. polycounter lvl 17
    Ah yes, the hipsters.

Seattle is an awesome city though, I miss it a lot and hope to move back someday(especially that I'm now a Baltimoron). Like Ferg said, you couldn't be moving there at a better time, the summers are awesome. I wouldn't want to live downtown myself, it's cool to visit on the weekends and nights and throw down, but definitely a haven for homelessness and crime. I never lived in Seattle proper but I had friends that lived in Ballard and Shoreline and thought they seemed like pretty cool areas.
    Grats on the job and enjoy your new home.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Moosey_G wrote: »

Is Hipster you young uns term for yuppies?

Anyhow, I jog through downtown 12:00-1:00AM sometimes on third. Its not that bad. It really isn't. And as far as the homeless. Thats what happens in a urban area.

Anyhow, if you want somewhere close to downtown that you can walk.
    Capital Hill (Younger Yuppies and Alt Lifestyles)
    First Hill (Older Yuppies [Ouppies?])

If you want someplace you can bike.
    Freemont (Family Yuppie/Greeny area though)
    Beacon Hill (Where I am. Just Booooooring)

Out of all of the above, Beacon Hill would be the cheapest area to live.

As far as looking for a place. Craigslist. Look at houseshares.

Congrats as well at Runic :)
  • diminished_Self
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    diminished_Self polycounter lvl 12
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pon4dhLRLlU[/ame]

but i agree with ferg. capitol hill is where its at. cheap rent, slow gentrification (only one landmark from sir mix-a-lots posse on broadway left? WTF?!), plenty of bars/restaurants/music venues. there is the hipster stink, but whatever.

*edit* - congrats on the job man, torchlight was fun.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Ferg wrote: »
    The one downside is the hipsters. They're everywhere, like flannel-wearing cockroaches with poor music taste.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rS0k6oVKoa0[/ame]
  • Moosey_G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary wrote: »
    Is Hipster you young uns term for yuppies?

Nah, not exactly. This should explain it. The hobo problem isn't terrible, but one will see a good amount of them.
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    Autocon is there. You can play pokemon with him.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thats a bit broad. Also how does one identify from a hipster versus say a person actually invested in their cause? Or dressing a way because they want to versus supposed "counter culturing" (ie reality another sub culture).

Sorry off topic.
  • Moosey_G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thats a bit broad. Also how does one identify from a hipster versus say a person actually invested in their cause? Or dressing a way because they want to versus supposed "counter culturing" (ie reality another sub culture).

Sorry off topic.

Well, generally, people who are invested into those specific combination of causes are the same people that aren't really invested into those specific combination of causes. Anyway, I don't want to derail this thread farther.

@Matabus - Look out of The PAX Expo in downtown, at the Convention Center every year. It's always been a blast.
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17
    Moosey_G wrote: »

and a few other things that I wont bring up without being labeled as a sexist :p

also hit up ebagg , that man can throw a party and big game crowd usually attend (some from polycount some not)

Tell all those sukah's I said whats up :)
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    seforin wrote: »
    other things that I wont bring up without being labeled as a sexist :p

I think that's less "sexist" and more superficial assmunch, sef ;)<3

I'm on the eastside near TGZ, living in Microsoftville (Redmond) for about 2 years now. If you're looking for less stress and relaxation, eastside is great. Most everything you need is <10 min drive away here, so it's a nice area. Redmond itself is pretty expensive for apartments though, so Kirkland would be a better place.

If you dislike hot weather, you won't like our summers. In 2008 it was pretty nice, but last year got ungodly hot and humid in August. My apartment stayed > 100º non stop for weeks, even with windows/patio open and fans a blazin'

But really, the whole greater Seattle area is awesome. Whether downtown, Capitol Hill, Bellevue, Redmond or wherever - there's a ton of shit to do here.

BTW - congrats on the job and welcome to the area :)
  • stoofoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stoofoo polycounter lvl 18
    Do not live downtown. It is not a thing that you should do. Walk 20 minutes from cap hill.

Seriously.

I'll buy you a bourbon when you make the right choice and move to the hill. ;)
  • stoofoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ps. Stubbles? Driving is well and good. But I can walk to anything I need to in 10 minutes or less.

Just saying, homey. ;)
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Been living in seattle for a good chunk o months now. Kirkland area actually which is nice.

Seattle driving sucks balls though. All these lame ass 1 lane streets all over the place. Makes me want to shoot myself sometimes when you get behind someone who is only just going over the speed limit. Ah too use to the wonders of the CA road.

Dont know about it being filled with tons of "hipsters" maybe that more in the city or maybe I am a hipster and they look like normal people so I dont notice. Lots of young single moms though.
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    Autocon wrote: »
    or maybe I am a hipster

lol, riiiight.
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    Congrats on the job Matabus!
  • Matabus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good info, folks! Thanks a ton.

I was already leaning toward Capitol Hill when I heard how good the night life was there. I think I remember a few of the guys from Runic telling me they lived there and the walk really wasn't bad at all. I plan on biking everywhere anyways.

I REALLY want an apt in this complex, but the 2Bdr 2Bath's are WAY too expensive:
    http://www.jouleapartments.com/?gclid=CJH624qwyqECFYNd5QodQSO0xg
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    dont move into one of the new developments (joule being the newest development), move into a duplex or something. Your neighbors stand a better chance of being interesting and the living space will have much more character. Craigslist for the win. Sterile condo boxes for the lose.

edit: also, that building is right on broadway, which is the main drag on capitol hill. I wouldn't move there unless you really like having drunk assholes yelling outside your window till 3 am. Ferg recommend moving a few blocks away from broadway so's you can have your peace and quiet when you need it.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Welcome to the area man, I agree with all the praise about Capitol Hill...so Runic is in downtown eh?

Speaking of which, once Matabus arrives, methinks it's time for a long overdo west side PC meetup eh guys?
  • Cheez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joule Apts may be crazy expensive, but thats an awesome location. You pretty much have everything you need practically outside your door.
  • stoofoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joule is like a block from my apartment. I disagree with ferg on the whole "drunk crazies," though. That end of cap hill is super quiet independent of bars. Also ted wtf. You live next door to the summit. That hardly saves any face. =)
  • Karmageddon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Karmageddon polycounter lvl 7
    dealing with crowds of tourists can get annoying

Don't forget the Ride the Ducks. If I hear "Celebrate Good Times" one more time...
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezuz, you all sound like you have excess cash to live where you do. (Me goes back to being poo white trash.)
    Speaking of which, once Matabus arrives, methinks it's time for a long overdo west side PC meetup eh guys?

Keeping that quote for later regurgitation. :)

Anyhow, there is this older apartment complex on capital hill. The landlord seemed honest enough. Older building though, so for ground, you had to hook your ground wire to your radiator.

Its not one of the hipster places. Its across the street from the trader joes on Madison. Anyone remember the name? I cant find it in those apartment guides (which means to me you wont be dealing with a bunch of BS).

17th and Madison.

And yes. DON'T MOVE ABOVE THE FIRST FLOOR. If you have no AC and cant get a bottom level apartment. Move into a house share and get a basement or first floor room/area.

Biycle FTW.
  • stoofoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oxynary: What about that description makes that a place he would want to look at? haha
  • Em.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Em. polycounter lvl 17
    Oxy gets the award for least likely to become a Realtor.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cause its honest? And the management seemed good? You know, basically a KIR place. Not a hipster/yuppie/ thing. And its right next to both Trader Joes and Madison Market so good food right there! Plus there is a playfield down the street and behind it a retirement home so you only have to deal with traffic from one side.

Again, totally different outlook here.

Ok,, ok. Given, your right next to the antennas, so the nose bleeds and fillings picking up sports might happen once in awhile.
  • Moosey_G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Don't forget the Ride the Ducks. If I hear "Celebrate Good Times" one more time...

I always found those kinda cute.
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    Cap Hill, maybe 1st Hill (Just east of downtown). Fantastic clubs, restaurants, nightlife, and such in Capitol Hill. Lower Queen Anne, or Dexter is alright too if you're feeling a bit more rich (these would be just north of downtown). Lots of good neighborhoods in Seattle. I'm in Ballard myself, and it's a 15 minute drive or 35 minute Bike commute down to Pioneer Square. Ballard also rocks for nightlife/food/etc, and borders on Freemont which is a cool neighborhood as well.
  • vcortis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vcortis polycounter lvl 9
    Hey I used to live out there, and my sister lives in Queen Anne now which she loves. I've visited a few times and it's a nice place and if you do enough searching you can find some very affordable apartments. It is very clean with a lot of shops, a few bars, etc. But there are some settled families there too so I'd say in general the crowd is a bit older. It is way up on a hill so the view of downtown seattle and Mt. Rainer on a good day is fantastic.

I don't think you can really go wrong with most of the areas surrounding Downtown Seattle. As others have said though you don't want to live downtown downtown... a lot of areas turn pretty nasty and you don't want to be walking around alone at night.

Also the public transportation is great, the bus system is really easy to use, and you'll figure out your way around after only a few days.

Edit: Also you're going to love Seattle, it's awesome! Be sure to check out Paseo's Carribean Restaraunt... go get a Cuban Roast Sandwhich... be sure to get there early as there are huge lines out the door and they often run out of bread/pork. I still have cravings for those all the time!
  • Cheez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vcortis wrote: »
    Hey I used to live out there, and my sister lives in Queen Anne now which she loves. I've visited a few times and it's a nice place and if you do enough searching you can find some very affordable apartments. It is very clean with a lot of shops, a few bars, etc. But there are some settled families there too so I'd say in general the crowd is a bit older. It is way up on a hill so the view of downtown seattle and Mt. Rainer on a good day is fantastic.

I don't think you can really go wrong with most of the areas surrounding Downtown Seattle. As others have said though you don't want to live downtown downtown... a lot of areas turn pretty nasty and you don't want to be walking around alone at night.

Also the public transportation is great, the bus system is really easy to use, and you'll figure out your way around after only a few days.

Edit: Also you're going to love Seattle, it's awesome! Be sure to check out Paseo's Carribean Restaraunt... go get a Cuban Roast Sandwhich... be sure to get there early as there are huge lines out the door and they often run out of bread/pork. I still have cravings for those all the time!

Worlds greatest sammich.
    Seriously. No exaggeration.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    ^wait what? Are you no longer a vegetarian these days?
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Older building though, so for ground, you had to hook your ground wire to your radiator.

holy hell! that's legal?

oh yeah, what's KIR? I doubt you mean Killer-cell immunoglobulin-like receptor
  • Matabus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oxy: You talking about this place? I was actually looking into this one pretty seriously. You say it's old as dirt?

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/111360/thumbNailer.php.jpg
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No, the one I mentioned is kitty corner from it. THat one you posted is a new structure.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Welcome! Good plan living as close to work as possible and sticking with the west side, nothing worse than commuting across the bridges. The east side is where fun goes to grow old and have kids. The north end (where I live) is where fun goes to die... But if you're going to buy a house or condo you're looking at a commute.

You might need a plan for getting around in the rain, for the next few months it won't be too much of an issue but the other 9mo biking around in the rain could be a downer. I did it for 2 years and loved it. I was only 2 miles from work but I grew up here, Woodenville/N Redmond area. Now I live way up north with a 40min commute, (yea don't do that...) we'll be moving back to Bothell/Woodenville soon.

Capitol Hill is a good choice, just like any area, don't do stupid things and you're fine.

I had a dry bag for my stuff and a bigger "wet" bag backpack which was just to carry my dry bag. No need to get a expensive dry bag or a harness unless you have money to throw away.

It might seem nerdy but splatter guards are great. Nothing worse then getting a stream of wet grit running down the back of your neck, or worse up your nose.

or get a car... then get fat and lazy. =P
  • Matabus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha! Thanks for the tips, Vig.
  • Matabus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright guys let's do this fucking thing.
    I am in town now living at the Bell-town Inn on 3rd and Belle.
    I've been all over and i've found Linda's in First Hill to be one of the coolest shpots cause of it's outdoor area + bar.

Who's in?
  • stoofoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matabus: Are you saying you wanna get a beer now? I just woke up--it's the perfect time. LINDAS HO?
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Im working down the street right now. Unfortunately have a date afterwords.

If your referencing a PC meetup. Probably a new thread would be good for that.