Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Sci-fi interior

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Kevin Albers polycounter lvl 18
This is a portfolio piece I started a while back. I was thinking it was finished, but now I'm thinking I'll go back and tweak a few things that are less than cool right now. Suggestions?

sci_fi_1_wip_1.jpg

http://www.polychromesoundandvision.com/kevin/scifi_interior.html

Replies

• Spitfire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very nice, i really like the details and the setup of the scene.
    I would suggest adding more specular highlights and just more scene lighting to make it feel more dynamic and to let those nice model really shine!
    Make those details pop!
  • doeseph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doeseph polycounter lvl 7
    The textures look at bit flat when you really take the time to look at them. The objects themselves are pretty interesting, I'm getting a religious-tech vibe from the scene (if that makes any sense), but I think the texture work could use another pass. Almost everything has a very dull blue hue, there are very few "sharp" details popping out, and it looks like quite a few areas should be emitting light but aren't.

I think it would be a cool piece to go back and re-work, though, as you seem to have a really great foundation.
  • fabio brasilien
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fabio brasilien polycounter lvl 11
    The overall looks nice, but there are space for improvement. This scene has a lot of potential.
    I agree with doeseph...I´ve looked your textures and I also think it needs an extra work. Also, more glow. The blue one is very soft and give an interesting look, but I think more small orange glow around and turn on the green lights. The UV space also could be improved, there are similar details around that didn´t need extra UV space.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Looked at the high poly mesh on your site, it's really soft and pillowy which seems odd for a big piece of sci-fi tech. I'd anticipate some hard edges.

Most of your back surface is flat with random shapes spaced evenly across it. This is revealing to other artists as lazy since is so easy to do. It's much better to conform your details to a shape than letting he shape dictate your details.

The material also doesn't read as metal, more like wet cardboard. I blame your photo overlays, uniform noise, looks like a picture wrapped around your model instead of a texture to enhance it.

Gots to learn how to make spec maps. Your current spec might work for wet stone. You have no highlights or dark recessed areas at all so inset corners and pushed out edges have no difference in specularity. This, coupled with the diffuses totally flattens your normal map out.

Also, do you plan on lighting this scene?
  • Darkmaster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Darkmaster polycounter lvl 11
    I really agree with a lot that has been posted on this thread about the textures coming across as flat. I think that you have some great painting skills, but it is becoming more apparent that games are being able to increase the amount of polygons in a scene tremendously with the advancement of technology in the last couple years. I think that is it might be good practice to try modeling more into your scene than you have for this iteration of your project. I'm not saying redo the scene entirely but there are some pieces that could use some extra dimension. This will push this scene even farther and make it look "next-gen". For this piece I think you should look at some of the art in Starcraft 2, as some of the sequences in the game take place on Jim Raynor's ship. Here's what I thought of when I saw your thread.

http://pc.ign.com/dor/objects/850126/starcraft-ii-wings-of-liberty/images/starcraft-ii-wings-of-liberty-20100422021853136.html?page=mediaimgviewer

I really like where this is going, keep up the good work!
  • Timothy_graybill
    hey man, I really like your portfolio you have a good verity of stuff going on. and it all looks pretty solid. for this piece, well I think you could work on a single piece for ever if you wanted to but I think this one is looking pretty good already.I think you should start something new.
  • Kevin Albers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Albers polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks for all the feedback!
    Updated version, with various texture and lighting work...
    sci_fi_1.jpg
  • vj_box
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brilliant work! Love the details and the especially the lighting mood there!