Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[portfolio] James Mashock

Hey guys. I graduated from college about a half a year ago and I updated my website recently. Been trying to get a job as an Environment Artist since then. I would appreciate any feedback with the efficiency of my web site and the art I currently have there. Any links or help would be awesome.

http://www.jamesmashock.com/

Replies

• PredatorGSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PredatorGSR polycounter lvl 14
    Everything is solid, I don't have much I can say about it. Maybe a little better lighting in some pieces. I think the well scene had the best lighting and looked the most polished.

My only suggestion is to maybe work on a scifi scene next since half the industry is scifi based, and it will definitely improve your chances if you can demonstrate you can do it well.
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    Looks good. I would agree with Konrad that maybe there could be a bit more variety of theme by doing a Sci Fi or more fantasy based project.

The normals on the table asset might be a "little" too strong. Maybe knock that down a bit
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    It kind of bothers me how the environments try so hard to look bust up, while having super straight geometry.

Tilt over some of the stairs' handrail, add a half broken step, make some real geometry dents in the walls (or even just move the vertices a bit) have heaps of fallen plaster.

Make sure the keeper's room has some spiderwebs, a dirty floor, dirty rug, a bunch of small stuff stacked between the box and desk, some dirty work shoes and a shovel somewhere, have the skirting be broken near the hole in the wall, have the hole be an actual hole (alpha the hole and put an inverted box behind it) make the messy and the broken parts match with the rest.

For the exterior, more of the same. Sacrifice 1-2 rocks if you need to stay lowpoly, but get some dings in those concrete walls.

The well picture has less of this geometric look, but I think adding in rocks like that is pretty expensive, compared to this image which uses a single modular wall part to keep it goodlooking while being lowpoly. The house in your pic is still as straight as an arrow btw. I can understand that you're working modular but that doesn't mean it cant be an organic looking building.

Clock, table. Nice, but you're using too many polies on the handle thingies. could be spent wiser.

Shotgun would benefit from normal mapping, and the texture looks a bit like stone.

Your menu is very inconsistent. I pressed the word 'gallery' and nothing happened, and later when I pressed your emailadress, again nothing happened. Make all the white lettering links, or all the blue lettering, not a bit of both. Actually, here's a paintover:
    jmashPFpaintover.png
    You don't need all those 2d pieces, pick the strongest ones, including 1-2 caricatures. You want to do 3d environments or draw exagerrated people?

3d, 2d, demo are pretty straightforward.
    resume: make the icons link directly to the word and pdf docs, make the word 'resume' link to a page that has a html resume as well as links to the downloadable docs. This makes it more foolproof (if they'd click and nothing'd happen they'd feel dumb, of think your website was broken)
    email would just send an email.

No need for the link to 'more 3d' and the explanation 'there is no 'more 3d' yet'. If you want you can have a message that says you'll upload more, but the button to the nonexistant gallery must go.

Could you please use *.png for the menu, header and footer, instead of *.jpg? text+jpg = ew.
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    felipefrango polycounter lvl 9
    I agree with Snader on all acounts. Plus, I don't think "more 3D" is the most appropriate title. Makes me think "why is there another gallery, why not put things here in the main 3D gallery if there's more stuff?!". Maybe something like "WIP gallery" or "MISC models" or something to that effect.
  • ivanushka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Everybody has covered the majority of it. I don't think anybody mentioned this, but watch your spelling. It can risk making you look unprofessional to potential employers! What should be "Apartment" on your first image set is missing the t, so it's spelled "Aparment". Good luck, this is an awesome start for you.
  • Dark Shadows
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all the critiques guys. This will definitely help me with strengthening my portfolio and tidy up my website of some of the clutter you guys mentioned.
  • Kevin Albers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Albers polycounter lvl 18
    Some nice stuff in there. :) I would have wanted to see some texture sheets, in addition to scene renders (or maybe I just never found the texture sheets). I don't think every scene needs to include every texture, but you should at least have a few textures to check out (ideally a set - diffuse, spec, normal or some such).
  • Dark Shadows
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Kevin. I will definitely add in texture sheets when I do another update on my work. Is there a good way to show off the texture sheets? Any visual examples? I have seen it done in many different ways so I would like to do it in a way efficient and show them off antiquity at the same time.
  • vofff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vofff polycounter lvl 10
    Hello, each pic I see there is numbers beside your email adress, is it your ip nr?
  • Dark Shadows
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thats my personal Cell number.