Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Shanty Town Harbor

This is a project I've been working on since Jan. of this year. It's based off a concept from "Stranglehold" done by Tae Young Choi (here) and it was all built out in Unity. The water, lens flare, and a few of the scripts are not done by me, but all the rest is of my own doing. I'm pretty happy with what I've accomplished so far, but I still feel it is lacking believability and diversity in its appearance. I'd love to hear your thoughts, comments, and critiques. You can download my latest build here and I've included a couple screens below.

shot1.jpg

shot2.jpg

Thanks!

Replies

• DestroyingZen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some Additional Shots

shot5.jpg

shot4.jpg

shot3.jpg
  • Peter H
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Been lurking here for a while and was planning on doing something similar to this!

I really like it!! you say you think it may lack believability. Maybe to help remedy that you could add more rubbish scattered about, things like old tires and smaller bits and bobs. Also all the planks of the floor are quite uniform (from what I can see of the shots you've posted) maybe have a few missing ones, broken ones and some that have come loose and are slightly raised?

Not sure if that helps as I'm pretty new to all this stuff :) but like I said I really like it and it's looking really nice!
  • Peter H
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just had a quick run around and wanted to let you know theres some culling issues with some of the sheets hanging over the doors / windows. Their invisible from inside the buildings :)

Here's one of the refrence images I've been using for my little project, not sure if this is what your going for but it deffinatley shows the messy look, with all sorts of junk around the place!

_44084729_manila_ap416.jpg

P.S. just noticed the satalite dishes on the rooves of some of the buildings, maybe add some power cables?
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking pretty good for a start.

Too many right angles for haphazard construction.
    It looks like the large sections of dock, pier or cat walk in the first screenshot should be replaced with more shanties. The hills in the back and the shanties help frame the shot.
    I'm not really sure why you went with red tones instead of blue like the concept.
    I'm not really sure how modular any of this is, in theory you should be able to mix and match a few pieces to get unique buildings without having to model new pieces.
  • 2000yearsoldman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    2000yearsoldman polycounter lvl 13
    Good start.
    All roof look same, try some variety textures.
    Also add some bright colors to you texture, like in the city concept.