Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] – Character Artist

Del
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Del polycounter lvl 9
~ Hi, I'm about to graduate here's my folio, just looking for initial feedback.

Thanks very much in advance:

http://drawingyourdreams.com/

Replies

• AaronF3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey man you've got some good stuff. I think you should texture that Thor, looks like it could be badass.

I like the simplicity of your website as well, good luck!
  • Drav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Drav polycounter lvl 9
    Yup, I like it, no crits, good luck!
  • JonathanF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JonathanF polycounter lvl 13
    great looking website! My one crit would be though, is to remove the drawing at the end... you have all this 3d all the way down and then bam.... a drawing. Its not very consistent, so I would suggest to either remove it completely, or make a 2d page button at the top with your other drawing work. Keep up the good work! it all looks good. Hope you find a job!
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really cool stuff great amount of work too! only crit id have would be to vary the stiles a bit maybe to show you can do cartoony or strange multi-limbed critters or weapons. you seem to have your anatomy pretty well covered. I wish I was at the point your at now coming out of school great stuff!
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Hey man,

Your latest work is really good! Nice job! The latest sculpts are particularly good (on the top model).

My only suggestion would be really in terms of presentation.

I think you should find a way to present your work and stick to that setup. It will just make things look really organized and show that you have your shit together.

I'm sure you are rendering things real-time, but you should make your method of rendering clear. It's really important to know that these are equivalent to in-game shots and how exactly you achieved this.

This sort of goes with the organization thing, but polygon counts, and wires on all your images (even if its just a small glimps at the wires) would be nice. I see you have some unused space on some of your presentation sheets, so you could def. fit some wire views in there.

Also, I would def. like to see the highpoly sculpt of that school girl. I'm sure you did a great job with that, so why not show it?

Lastly, It would be cool if you had super high res shots that we could see. Simply linking the main images to a higher res shot would be cool. That way when you click on the image, you can see skin pores and stuff like that (assuming you are using 2k maps that is).

Great work, I think you have improved greatly, and for someone only just graduating you are way ahead of the game. Good luck with the job hunt man!

[Edit] Oh yeah, and my least favorite model would have to be "Arcadia". There is a lot of cool things happening with her don't get me wrong, but there are a number of things going on with her face, tex density, and the way the shader is playing on the skin that is not looking so great. I think it is your weakest character atm. So my suggestion would be to either, re-work her, or take her off all together. Its a great concept and cool model, so I know its probably something you don't want to do, but atm its bringing your work down imo.
  • crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    You got a real nice body of work there buddy, Definetly a ton of potential. I wanna see you push the boat out and do somet crazy next :)

.........and good luck in your interview :D
  • Del
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Del polycounter lvl 9
    ~ Thanks so so much. So much solid advice.

AaronF3D, I definitely have a sort of love/hate relationship going on with Thor. Not really sure why I never completed him, but if it would make my folio better than I may as well wrap him up. Thanks

Drav, hooray I'm glad you like it!

JonathanF, I know it definitely might seem a bit out of place to have the charcoal piece in it. The only reason I put it in was because I had a phone interview and they was saying it looks like I might be trying to hide my lack of 2D skills by not having at least a little life drawing in my folio, so I threw it in. Your definitely right that it seems out of place now that you mention it. I'll have to come up with a solution. Thanks for the heads up.

Jacque, dude the moment I step out of that office I'm gonna jump on msn and let you know how it goes!

Woogity, soooo true. I don't want to come across as a one trick pony. I'm gonna plan something out of the ordinary now that you say that. (I'm so influential, so if you see some weird model I post up it was because of your post!! lol)

BradMyers, thanks for such a detailed response. I really am going to mull over everything you said, this is great advice. Many of those things your mentions I could do in no time once I get a moment to sit down. I don't want to really have to rework the dom war model so maybe I could just take it out... I don't want to confuse people with my ability :(

CrazyFool, oh dude the next piece I'll defo step it up. Mclean was telling me the same thing the other day; that I need to make a 'masterpiece' or something. Thanks for good luck!

I can't tell you how much energy it gives me to get constructive feedback!