Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Soda Vending Machine

Dis
Hi guys. I've been a lurker for far too long here so it's about time I post some work! :)
I've been working on a soda vending machine for a concrete city environment I'm doing. It's 140 tris and the textures are 1024x1024. I'll be making two more variations of this and I was hoping for some crits, especially on textures and presentation.
vendingmachine.jpgvending_wires.jpg
vending_512.jpg
vendingmachine.jpg

Replies

• Cap Hotkill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cap Hotkill polycounter lvl 13
    Very nice! i like it!
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Nice work, looks good to me!

Bit of a shame the lighting in the top image seems to be coming from behind the vending machine, it's making the front look quite dull. But aside from that it's very nicely presented too :)
  • Mio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mio polycounter lvl 13
    good one. i like it!
  • Asteric
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice! I expected the same old generic vending machine, but i am pleasantly surprised!

Digging the colours, the only thing i would work on is the screen, maybe using illumination map on it or something, just looks like a sticker right now.
  • RexM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asteric wrote: »
    Nice! I expected the same old generic vending machine, but i am pleasantly surprised!

Seconded.

C&C: It looks unique, for sure. The only recommendation I would voice is to add reflections to the outside of the machine. The outsides of those machines are usually more than smooth enough to give a nice glossy/reflective appearance.
  • 3D-209
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, that's sweet! Nice and restrained, looks like it would fit in a scene nicely. I agree on the illumination/glow map for the front and buttons. I'd also say throw the screen on a separate small texture and animate it alternating between "Welcome!" and "Please Insert Card" or something similar. It would cost you little bit of geometry, or you could just float it on a card above the current screen. Could be subtle and help bring it to life.

Good job :)
  • SaferDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SaferDan polycounter lvl 14
    it is very pretty :D

although am i the only one who thinks thats 1024x1024 is a bit big for a vending machine?
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Nah, with a complex and detailed decal on the front, and given that (in an FPS anyway) it'd be something the player could run right up to, it's definitely worth spending a 1024x1024 on!
  • Dis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dis
    Thanks everyone :)
    I'll look into using illumination and reflection/gloss. Might even animate the screen if I'm feeling adventurous :poly121:
    MoP wrote: »
    Bit of a shame the lighting in the top image seems to be coming from behind the vending machine, it's making the front look quite dull. But aside from that it's very nicely presented too :)
    I had some problems with the lighting in marmoset, every time I tried setting the light at the front of it, the white got completely blown out, making the whole side almost completely white. I tried to fiddle with the settings but couldn't fix it so I went with the light setup shown in the picture.
    SaferDan wrote: »
    although am i the only one who thinks thats 1024x1024 is a bit big for a vending machine?
    As this will serve as a stand alone portfolio piece while I'm working on the environment, I opted for using a 1024. Might lower it once I get it into the environment but I'm afraid I might lose too much detail, especially for the screen/keypad.
  • SaferDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SaferDan polycounter lvl 14
    yeah thats a good point!

but yes very pretty!
  • Dis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dis
    I made two variations of the texture. Gloss map will have to wait until I get it into UDK but I did the emissive map trick in Marmoset for the screen.
    vendingmachine_01.jpg
    vendingmachine_02.jpg
  • SnowInChina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator
    i want one NOW D:
  • 3D-209
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha sweet!

The first one feels the most real to me, with "Lemony" second and "blu burn" third best. I think they're probably all fine, but I just get more of a video-game-asset vibe from blu burn, if you know what I mean.

Dot-fades are sweet though, can pretty much never go wrong with them! And these are all nice, I'm just nit-picking.

I like how clean the designs are now, but maybe even just a logo or fine print in the bottom right to tie them together as belonging to the same company could go a long way. Something like this. (Not the "holiday spirit" stuff, just the coke logo at the bottom.)

coke-machine-at-santa.jpg
  • Fr0stguard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks awsome! keep up the awsome work.
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    really tidy stuff Dis. Lemony is my personal fav.
  • mLichy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks sweet dude!

You could have probably symmetried/mirrored the top parts and possibly other areas to gain a little more textel density for the screens/buttons. Also, if your texture had to get crushed to a 512, the buttons would prob. be fairly blurry.

Either way, like I said, it looks nice. Definitely didn't expect to see something like this either when I saw the thread name.

I wish we could get away with those map sizes at work.. :(. But having to unwrap/texture something 5x the size of the player on a 512 , seen in first person, is a good challenge.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dis wrote: »
    I had some problems with the lighting in marmoset, every time I tried setting the light at the front of it, the white got completely blown out, making the whole side almost completely white. I tried to fiddle with the settings but couldn't fix it so I went with the light setup shown in the picture.

Darken your diffuse textures. Marmoset's lighting is a bit overblown so you've gotta use darker diffuse to compensate.
  • mospheric
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mospheric polycounter lvl 11
    I like the vending machines and variations. One thing to consider is that most machines are brightly lit in the center for illumination. This can be seen in the coca-cola picture above and in this one....

fast_food_pizza_vending_machine.jpg

I'm not sure if this can be done with a shader or not, but perhaps go back into the diffuse and make the center of the logos brighter. Then have them fade out as they approach the edges. Just a suggestion if you want your machine to look lit and on.
  • Animesh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think it be cool to see one with gum stuck to it and some graffiti on the side.
  • Electro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Electro polycounter lvl 18
    VERY cool. The simplicity is refreshing. Not saying it's too simple, I'm saying it as a good thing! Better than a post apocolyptic generic randomnoise texture with graphitti vending machine. Fo sure.
  • Acumen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Acumen polycounter lvl 18
    i think what bothers me the most with these machines is the screen and the pad. the texturing just doesn't as strong and delicious as the logo and frame work. i don't know it just doesn't look as delicate and detail-driven as the rest. it more looks like you painted it at the end and spent countless hours on the logos and just wanted to call it done :/
    i don't know, maybe i'm nitpicking too much and need to see it animated and whatnot :D