Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

sketchbooky kinda thread

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
seth. polycounter lvl 14
hello and all that. My name is seth and I have just completed the first year of the computer games modeling and animation course at Derby uni. We now have pretty much five months till the second year starts. This means that I actually have some spare time to look at forums and stuff :)

A tiny bit about me....I'm what they call a mature student. I spent 10 yrs in the tabletop games industry sculpting masters for the likes of Games workshop, Rackham, etc.... Now I am learning the tools to do the same sort of thing for computer games :)

Anyway, over this summer I am hoping to get together a decent enough portfolio so that I can show it around at christmas and land an internship for next summer, Vigil or Ninja Theory (international/home) would be my first choices, but I have heard that Vigil have trouble with visas for those outside the states *sadface* Being old I am kinda worried about my prospects so pushing for an internship will let me know if I'm barking up the wrong tree and should go back to toy soldiers.

I have a feeling that I should be sticking more to props and stuff for my folio, as I asume that no-one hires an intern to do characters, but I couldn't help starting with a character after all the hard surface stuff we have been doing at uni.

This piece is based on a concept supplied to me by an excelent French concept artist called Edouard Guiton. Many thanks Edouard :D

file.php?id=1464&mode=view

Heres where I am so far, just going through the high poly building bit. Anatomy was built in zbrush with zspheres, pushed about till it was vaguley human (dodgy armpits though....and that thumb....oh dear :) ) and then imported to maya for the main build. Still itching to get it back into zbrush but I shall be patient and get everything that needs to be done in maya finished first :)

the high belt is on there deviating from the concept atm.....it makes sense for the figure to have it but it may not make it to the final model.
Sorry If I have done anything really stupid, this is my first proper character aside from playing about in Zbrush.

file.php?id=1466&mode=view

crits, comments, even general name calling much apriciated

Replies

• seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    My better half has needed the machine pretty much full time since friday the machine for hand ins tomorrow and the coming friday so no progress on the character really but I did this to stop me going mental

30 mins from sphere just for funfile.php?id=1472&mode=view
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    The stile on the highpoly is off. Especially the feets and legs i think. You really need o check it out.

And abut where to post sketchbooks, and tat section there is not life what so ever, kinda. In this part of the forum i'l get some response. I guess it's to the mods to decide if this stays or not.
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    Its mostly a thread for this character model TBH, but a lack of time on the machine saw me just wanting to do a head sketch really. I didnt think that it was worth a sketchbook thread of its own. I will be back on with the character tonight....but yeah mods if this is in the wrong place then I will move it......is it normal to get more comments on a thread being in the wrong place than comments on the content of it?

sltrOlsson.: yeah I know what you mean, I have been going over wether I should stick to the concept proportions or stick to a more regular anatomy. Hopefully the legs will look a little more like the concept once I'm into zbrush, thanks for the crit though :)
  • wake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wake polycounter lvl 17
    hey seth. I'm also learning 3D so I can't really help out with the 3D stuff, but I would say to stick to the more exaggerated style of the concept-- for me that's what makes the whole piece work.

but if you do stay with the more realistic style, I would thicken up the legs. From how I've read the concept (I may very well be wrong though) he's basically wearing an armored lower half as opposed to having robotic legs-- note how the plated legs on the drawing are dramatically thicker than the limb thickness; they're almost as thick as his torso. As you've modeled it now there isn't much room for his legs to fit in there.

It's a really cool concept though, so either way it should be a nice piece when you finish.

On an unrelated note, you mentioned that you sculpted masters for GW? What pieces did you do? Do you have any samples of your work from there? Its a really interesting background.

Oh, and as for the sketchbook comments I think it has more to do with how you've titled your thread. Just rename it 'robo-legs WIP' or something and you shouldn't get any more comments like that-- Polycounters can be a bit persnickety about threads being in the right place and all that.
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    hey wake. Thanks man I see what you are saying about the legs, they have another layer or two to go onto them yet, although I also think that I have made the thighs too long too.....much re-arranging to do then :)

yeah daft title I agree...I'm absolutly rubish at naming things.....any idea which button I should press to change it?

GW wise most of my stuff was fanatic, Inquisitor stuff, and John Blanches femme millitants along with the odd piece here or there. I dont have any shots of the GW stuff in progress, same goes with Rackham i'm afraid, but I do have a few shots of my personal stuff on this DA account if you fancy a look : http://sethnash.deviantart.com/

cheers
    seth
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    I'm beginning to fix the proportions of the character in zbrush now, also managed a first pass on the lower leg. I am slowly deviating from the concept on the finer details...is that a bad thing...yeah I guess so, definatly something to work on then.
    file.php?id=1475&mode=view

once again thanks for looking and stuff
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    looking solid! gogogogogo
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Wow this stuff looks great!
    Watch the upper arm torso connection on the back of the last model.
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    That sculpt looks TOTALLY freaking awesome! I think you already are closing up towards the concept. Keep it in the same style and this is a winner!
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    ohhh comments ta guys...yeah I'm still in that noob stage on the boards where I get excited every time someone posts....I am soooo sad :)

moose: thank you :)

kanga: thanks man, noted, and on the stuff to take care of list....i think that the armpits are a little wide too now I look at it...loving your work on brokenheart btw.

sltrOlsson: thanks mister, I am a lot more confident in Zbrush than Maya atm, so I rely on pulling things together in Zbrush....something that I had better adress in the future.

anyway vague update ahoy! Please excuse the anatomy, halfway through the first pass atm. Do you think that he should have a metal nose?

file.php?id=1477&mode=view

As before ta much for looking :)
  • wake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wake polycounter lvl 17
    This is looking awesome seth., and thanks for posting some of your other work-- also cool stuff. I wouldn't worry about deviating from the concept a little so long as the changes still gel with the rest of the model. Only thing I would say right now is that the thumb seems a bit small and squashed, and the arms on the whole are a little short, particularly at the elbow. The easy check that I always use is that when the arms are relaxed the elbow should line up with the belly button.

Awesome stuff.