Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Concept Character - War Machine

Hi,
This is my second post here.

Concept - This was made from a concept I saw on Cgsociety by the artist Michael See. He made the concept for Dominance War 4 - War Machine Category. The machine is very destructive in its nature with heavy weapon machinery at all of its sides.I went through with this personal project so as the enhance my hard surface modeling skills to a whole new level.

Renders :

robo_1.JPG

robo_2.JPG

Wireframe :

War_machine_wireframe.JPG

Thanks for watching!
Mukul Uppal
mukuluppal@gmail.com
cgsoul@gmail.com

Replies

• Spitfire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thats some cool modeling, feels a little blocky on the arms even though its not, maybe give it some more volume in the shapes, dont confine the details into shapes.

Looks good, keep going
  • mukuluppal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks a lot spitfire. Yes a good suggestion of not confining the details into shape. Would keep that in mind for my next model. :)
  • mukuluppal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    More C&C welcome :D
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    me likes the design but I would drop some of the very unnatural sharp edges especially at the legs
  • KiLLSWiTCH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Holy! This looks nice and clean. I am trying to learn hard surface modeling. But I am having difficulty in making clean models where the object has both HARD edges and smooth curved surfaces as well. I am using 3ds Max.

I usually model in editable poly and use chamfer on the edges that I want to be sharp corners. Then I use Turbosmooth modifier to smooth out the object. Dont know if i am doing this right. How do people keep an object's edges sharp where they need to and smooth elsewhere without ruining the hard corners?
  • mukuluppal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @rollin - Thanks.The concept is of Michael See.Yeah I get your point.Thanks for the feedback. :)

@Killswitch - thanks man. Yeah you are doing it right.Well the trick behind that is to make sure your base mesh(the one having no turbosmooth/meshsmooth on it) has a good distance between the chamfered edges if the edges are sharp and they have a good curvature too.Whereas if you need to keep the edges real sharp then the chamfered edges would be very close to each other.I hope this will help. :)