Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WoW Orc Fan Art

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
HntrLuc polycounter lvl 18
Hey! Here's some WoW fan art.
I'm calling it finished, but if you have any crits let me know!

619_realsize.jpg
153_realsize.jpg

Replies

• mathes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good job with this, looks like something you'd see in the game. I really like the axe.
  • Disco Stu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks more like ingame art then fan art :D
    Fantastic job.
    The only thing giving away that its not ingame is the highres orc face.
    Ingame you can always tell how old the models are, the 5 year old parts look rather
    well... 5 years old :D the characters included.
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is pure awesome, are you sure you didn't just rip this model right out of the game :D ?

Amazing work, textures are great.

My only crit really would be that the silhouette of the legs could maybe be improved. Right now, they look kinda 'straight up / straight down' if you see what I mean. Maybe push the top of the boots out a little or thicken up the thigh armor. It's really no big deal and certainly doesn't make the model look any less awesome.

EDIT: Would you mind posting flats?
  • catstyle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fantastic! love your painting skills man
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    The colours are great, and I LOVE that helmet, but then again I wouldn't expect anything less from you man.

It would be great to get a peek at the flats when you have the time.
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazardous polycounter lvl 12
    Dude, sensational!!!! Thats next gen WOW right there - sick job! I love that helm, and also the glowy particle red mist!
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    awesome sauce! love the design of armor and overall texturing!
  • MartinH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MartinH polycounter lvl 8
    brilliant work.

Would actually like to see the wireframe for this model too!
  • CJE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CJE polycounter lvl 13
    Totally sick, you nailed it man.
  • ArtOfBrad
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    I can't say I'm as enthusiastic as the rest. For a large part, that just stems from a dislike for WoW's art style (and a tiredness of it, with all those chips or armour taken out... blegh) The whole of the armour is just a mish-mash of grey lines going into every direction and they fail to support the silhouette in any way. Any random, meaningless edge on the shoulder pad, for example, draws just as much, if not more, attention as the one seperating the upper from the lower body (i.e. an important one). Take a 100x100 pixel area by itself and unless it's the head or a weapon, it's damn nigh impossible to tell what you're looking at.
    Furthermore, I think the head has problems. The helmet simply can't compete with the shoulders; it's monochromatic and less shiny (for what it's worth, I think the blaim here is on the shoulders, not the helmet). The head itself is rather boring, the mouth's shape is almost a pure rectangle and it's all the same shade of green.

Allow me to bring up BoBo's orc as a comparison:
    http://www.bobotheseal.com/personal_work/Bliz_BoBo_Orc02.jpg
    http://www.bobotheseal.com/personal_work/Bliz_BoBo_Orc02.jpg
    BoBo's armour is much more efficient. There's a piece seperating the upper from the lower body, there's a piece seperating the arms from the torso and there's a piece seperating the hands from the arms. Every piece of armour marks an important point on the body and the shapes follow the shapes of that; the grey parts then follow those shapes exactly. Furthermore, he distinguishes body parts by different materials, giving gloves to the hands, and using greaves on the lower legs to give them a different colour than the upper legs.
    His head is also more detailed; subtler layer of wrinkles, a bit of noise to hint at veins and discolouration around the eyes, nose and lips.

Also have a look at Slipgatecentral's WoW-inspired piece. The shoulder pads have the shapes of deltoids, the torso armour has the shape of ribs, and the chain in front of the crotch has the shape of a crotch (;)).
  • James9475
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You absolutely nailed the WoW texture and model style.
  • Disco Stu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie the whole point of a armor set in wow, its supposed to look like one.
    After all people raid for months to get all the parts together.
    On top of that warriors tend to have these bulky matching ornaments.
    http://static.mmo-champion.com/mmoc/images/news/2009/october/tier10_warrior_hd.jpg
    Only the belt is missing ^^
  • jocose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jocose polycounter lvl 11
    Pretty awesome, you might want to consider presenting the model on a cooler color though. The desaturated red you have there doesn't really help the model stand out. It kind of sinks into that background.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    It's very very busy looking, consider more colour variation to combat this.
  • b1ll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    I dig it! I know you have improve alot in the last year! so thats a win for me!

Zweebie; retard much?
    HAr har har

Get back to personnal Art Hunter, WTF LAZY
  • MasteroftheFork
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MasteroftheFork polycounter lvl 18
    That looks great HntrLuc! It'd definitely fit into world of warcraft. The issue I have with it, similar to what others have said is that it is too busy and has no focus. I find this a problem with most of the armor sets in wow, so that helps it fit in even more ;) A way to help might be to make the grey trim on the arms and legs darker.
  • MartinKDahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MartinKDahl polycounter lvl 17
    really good job! the colors are really uniform so the only suggestion i have is that you could have put in just a little bit of color variation somewhere.
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    b1ll wrote: »
    Zweebie; retard much?
    HAr har har
    I hoped nobody would notice that as long as I just typed a lot and linked to BoBo :( .
  • achmedthesnake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    achmedthesnake polycounter lvl 17
    Zwebbie wrote: »
    I hoped nobody would notice that as long as I just typed a lot and linked to BoBo :( .

no, we noticed......Ouch!

pffft ben finish some work :P

HntrLuc - just some small crits - regarding the 'notches/dents' cut into the peices of armour, functionally speaking maybe there's too many - and even then certain areas wouldn't have any due to their location, unlikley to be dented in battle.... although that is still in opposition to the wow aesthetics you're tryign to emulate...
  • javi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    javi polycounter lvl 16
    I love you Hunter! I'll have to pick your brain sometime!
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    Amazing work is amazing!! I am not much of a hoard friendly but you did pretty nice there. :)
  • Devin Busha
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome! You nailed the style spot on and the effort you put in really shows. Consider me a fan :)
  • BoBo_the_seal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BoBo_the_seal polycounter lvl 18
    Very nice!

You did a much better job than I did matching WoW's style. I think I tried to bend it to my personal style more than trying to stay true to the source. Great work!

- BoBo
  • illadam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    illadam polycounter lvl 14
    That's sick HntrLuc! About how long did it take total? I too wouldn't mind seeing some wires and flats! Keep it up bro I'm a fan of your work!
  • HntrLuc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey thanks for all the c&c everyone!

mathes - thanks man :)

disco stu- thanks! actually i think blizzard has updated the orc face textures recently. google mostly seems to mostly show old ones though :P you're right about the belt too >_< its a bit of an eye sore looking back on it now :P

creation22 - lol thanks man. you're right, the leg design couldve probably used a bit more refinement in the concepting stage :P

catstyle - thanks :D

jason - hey thanks man! heres some flats!

hazardous- thank you sir :)

conte - haha thanks!

martinH - thanks man, here my wires : )

CJE - thanks :D

brad - thanks man!

zwebbie - lol! well, i did my best to match the wow style as you see it ingame :P I'm actually a bit of a stickler for trying to keep things looking feasible too, but i tried to let that go for this one :P

james - thanks man!

jocose - thanks man, thats good advice! If im able to overcome my
    lazyness i just might do that! ;)

blenderhead - well i am trying to match WoW which tends to be pretty busy with the higher end sets :P. I do agree it might look nicer with a more varied palette, i guess i just had it in mind that i wanted to to something a bit more monochromatic

b1ll - lol! youre getting too kind in your old age. haha thanks man

masterofthefork - thanks man. it does come off looking a bit busy. i think maybe i shouldve used stronger shadows on the legs and arms to drive the focus to the face/chest

nelis - thanks man, im almost starting to think about it :poly142:;)

achmedthesnake - thanks! yeah i know theyre a bit unbelievable :P but wows all about those things!

ivaj - haha! pffft youre welcome to try ;)

nitewalkr - thanks man :)

devin - thanks man, im glad you dig it :D

bobo - Wow thanks man! I have to say, it was a bit of a battle with myself trying to keep it consistent with WoW and not take it too far in my own direction :P

illadam - hey thanks man. I'm not sure how long it took to be honest. Thinking back id count it up around 40-50 hours or so (including concepting time).

ok heres the flats and wires
    orc_flats.jpg
    orcwires.jpg
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Absolutely stunning man, you nailed it for sure.
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fantastic, awesome paints man, solid concept too.
  • Flaringo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flaringo polycounter lvl 11
    fucking hell man, that is some awesome work!
  • haikai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haikai polycounter lvl 8
    I think you hit the style pretty well. The helmet and shoulderpads and weapons in particular look really nice (and isn't that what's most important in WoW? :)). The face kind of feels separate from the rest though.

Nice painting job!
  • HntrLuc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks again guys!

haikai - thanks man. you're right the body and face didn't receive as much attention as the rest and suffers a bit for it :( I'm thinking about touching some things up actually, and maybe using the new goblin faces for ref instead of the current orcs (those new goblins have all that nice color variation in the skin :D)

Figured I may as well toss these up too. My 2d/concepting skills could use some work so here's some WoW style concepts I did. Nothing too dynamic, mostly intended as ref for 3D work.

sword_sheet.jpg
    shaman.jpg
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the sword on the right side is pimp as hell man, id change the proportions a bit to make it look more like a 2 hander but its a really cool concept, same for the floaters in the center blade, would be neat to have a bit more of that going through the design tho.