Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] – Anders Sandberg, 3d Artist

Hi everyone!

I'm about to finish of the last week of school here at the Game Assembly in Malmoe, Sweden. This is a 2 year long education with a 30-week long internship at the end. We have completed 7 games here during this time and are now working on the 8th and final game. All games were made from scratch in a 8 - 10 week period.

I'm now looking for internship and would very much appreciate any crits and comments you may have about both the site and the content.

Much appreciated!

Anders Sandberg

Portfolio

Replies

• n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The videos show the best works I think, esp the Crater shooter game. Looks like fun!

The img of dog, rifle, elf, are nice but I'd be nice to see wires, UV and texture at like 25% or 50%, just to see how you pulled it off.
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Hey man, I like the idea of your site (animated gif's and what not). But it feels like everything is CHUGGING. It sort of leaves a bad impression, before you even evaluate the art.

I suggest you get rid of that pop-up box and show simple images. Also, do something to make the animated gifs either run super smooth, or get rid of them all together.

Nice work by the way. The textures and models look a little over simplified, but I feel you are headed in the right direction. Keep going man!

[edit] I agree with n88r about wires, uv's textures. Gotta get that straightened out.
  • thrillkill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    n88tr wrote: »
    The videos show the best works I think, esp the Crater shooter game. Looks like fun!

The img of dog, rifle, elf, are nice but I'd be nice to see wires, UV and texture at like 25% or 50%, just to see how you pulled it off.

Thanks. I'll will try changing the presentation of wires and textures into a more satisfying way. Will get some links up for the games soon, so people may download them and try them out.

BradMyers82>> Fore some reason the gifs play smoothly in Firefox and Opera, but in IE they play really chuggy for some reason... Tried to fix but didn't find a solution, so I might just get rid of them.

About the pop-up box, I think it's just a matter of taste. Some people can't stand them, but some like them.

Thanks alot for the feedback. Wish I had more time to spend on the characters...
  • uneditablepoly
    The best part of your work is definitely all of the game projects you've worked on yet I didn't find that until I'd looked through a bunch of the models on the front page. Try to highlight that part more.

Also, a good amount of typos on the site. Watch that. Like "Modelling" and "Charachter."
  • vofff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vofff polycounter lvl 10
    yep, now you have plenty time to fix your website even better now it is a red day tmrw.
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Thrillkill: I would urge you to change the way your images load. Yeah, some people like the little boxes coming up like that (weird people... j/k) But in all seriousness, no one will judge you if you use regular images that open in explorer or whatever. However, there are enough people, especially HR people who don't like to wait for that. If I were you I would ditch it, because its most important to be quick.
  • thrillkill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Brad for your thoughts. I changed the way the images loads, so the open up in a new page instead. I also presented my textures more clearly than before. I also fixed the typos (I could find) and made the buttons more obvious. Really appreciate you taking the time to comment.
  • duck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    duck polycounter lvl 10
    the changes really improved the site. awsum man!
  • Gerasimimumu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi,
    Great site and game demos!! The only thing I did not like a whole lot was the 'knight running animation'. I know that in the game itself, the characters are too small to see it being as issue, but when you show a big quicktime of him running... it looks incomplete, not very well animated. I would make it nicer, or cut it out from the reel altogether. The rest of the animations look very good and if you have one less animation cycle in there, it would not damage your demo reel.

Also, the gifs did not lag for me, but you have to be aware that not all computers would run very well and probably aim for the lowest common denominator. Then again, most game companies probably have good computers and internet...

Keep it up,
    Gera
  • thrillkill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Duck. :)

Gerasimimumu>> Thanks for your comments and I really agree with you on the knight animation. I should fix or just remove it. Did you try the demos? I added 2 of the games for downloading yesterday. The Plague Crusade and Crater. We are competing in the Swedish Game Awards with The Plague Crusade.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Urgh I had a huge post but then Flash crashed opera, forgive my short unfriendly sounding rewrite.

IIRC IE sucks cuz it plays all gifs at 10 fps. Current images are big file for low res + lotsa frames. Instead remove frames (to 10 fps, IE compliancy huzzah), possibly increase rez, add 5-10 grey tones for BG gradient.

The 2 yellow letters make no sense. URL in header makes no sense, they located your site already, if anything -> footer with other contact info. Website looks misaligned, widths appear to differ, alignment looks off.

Main font is nice, usage is wrong. All caps are not good for block text (this was a school assignment yadda yadda = block text), use a sans serif for that (verdana or something should suffic). Use the same font on all other pages too instead of times. Why sans serif? Better for screen reading, better at low res/without AA, contrast with title font.

Also, blue underlined links are ugly. Set it apart , but make it work with the site, IE: use yellow, or black bold/italic, but not standard links. And make the text a comfortable line length, slightly larger font, and left-aligned for better readability.

Made 2 paintovers: homepage and youtube video thing. Homepage:
    ASandbergPFpaintover.jpg
    -PSD file if you like
    -consistent width, solid feeling
    -make the yellow useful, it's the hover/active color for all links (so also the email one)
    -larger thumbnails, included sculpts. You can choose to go for wider images, 3x2 instead of 6x1.
    -simplified menu
    -CV+html icon goes to cv page, word/pdf icons are direct download links

Video page:
    ASandbergPFpaintoverProjects.jpg
    -imaginary rectangle per project
    -sans serif font as mentioned
    -nice download button
    -shorter text
    -maybe change the YT skin to black/yellow?

Saw you were already using PNGs for buttons etc, good going on that, most people forget and make Jpeg. Ew.

You might want to get rid of Space Avenger, the other 4 vids are enough: it's a diverse sample, and of lots higher quality (Nightbreed looks like an old game, Space Avenger looks like an amateur game)

Maybe change the animations to a general showreel? Also that music might not be the best idea. It's not horribly heavy but it might be offputting. If you want to have it fit the game, try something like this: [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aID9DqIkuw8[/ame]

The CV also needs to be redone, not that much work: use the sans serif again, get the yellow involved, and I think you need to relocate the TGA logo.
  • thrillkill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader>> Awesome feedback! As you might understand this was my first try on making a homepage. I really like your paintovers and I am definitely gonna follow your examples. It looks so much better. I know what I'm doing tonight when I get home from school :) Thanks a bunch!