Home Unreal Engine

UDK - Full-screen effects (using Kismet)

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
adam polycounter lvl 19
Gentlemen (and ladies),

I'd like to look in to using UDK's options for fullscreen effects that is applied to the player's camera when they play through the environment I am creating.

The easiest 'effect' I can think of, in the form of a question is, "How would i create film grain?"

I don't want to create film grain, per se, but I'd like to know how to do such a thing.

Anyone have links to these or the time to write something up? I'd appreciate it!:thumbup:

To be specific, I'm looking to create the look of vintage video/film capturing. Some blur, some noise, and some on-lense dust particles. My take is it'll be a mix of using Kismet with some images (of dust) that I supply to this method, I just don't know what this method is exactly.

You can check out what I'm after here: http://www.dropbox.com/gallery/17188/2/refs/colour%20palettes?h=730937

Replies

• adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    I picked up the Eat 3d lighting and post Fx dvd and there is a bunch of awesome info in there about hooking up materials to your post process chain, if you are really interested in it, I'd highly recommend it, and the lighting section is really handy too.

basically it applies your material to the screen, so you could maybe go about creating a additive noise texture that pans/moves over top each other to create a speckley grain and then plug it into the pp chain.
  • Grimm_Wrecking
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grimm_Wrecking polycounter lvl 8
    The post process chain you'll want to edit (without jacking the ini file as I'm to understand) is

UDK Game - > Content -> Effects -> FX_HitFX -> UTPostProcess_Console

Add a material node as the second in the chain (location is important) though you might move it around to the 3rd, but it needs to be early.
    (edit: because its a constant effect, at least thats worked best for me in my experiments)

Then Its just creating the material you want, and applying it.

Film grain/noise shouldn't be that hard. Probably just a Scene Texture Node (remember the material has to be Translucent -> MLM Unlit otherwise you jsut get black screen) LERP'd with a various other Lerps that are set up to be controlled through kismet, though if its constant you could probably just get away with some finessed Sines.

Epic work so far btw, huge source of inspiration.

EDIT
    A post of mine a few pages back in the UDK Thread A quick PP Mat that is sort of like the camera lense you want, except without all the kismet goodness.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    SWEET! I'll be giving this a whirl when I get home.
  • Grimm_Wrecking
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grimm_Wrecking polycounter lvl 8
    Also, if you wanted to get really nifty you could play around with scene depth nodes and give the camera an animatable focusing effect. in and out dof blur and such, though I've never actually set anything up like that, but its feasibly possible, and shouldn't be too much brain strain...

shouldn't being the key word...
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    Yes, PPE is the way to go, film grain is pretty easy to do, you can in fact animate it with the correct nodes. When you get into crazy nodes, save and save often.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    if you can adam, to get the vintage film effect, use a vignette type mask to reduce the saturation and contrast at the edges of the image while increasing it in the centre, overall the image should be the same overall tone, but it gives quite a nice oldskool effect without being too complex
  • jocose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jocose polycounter lvl 11
    Hey Adam one of the hallmarks of the look your going for is chromatic aberration. Which you could easily replicate by offsetting the red blue and green channels of the image. To make it look more realistic you might want to look into masking it or doing selectively, but it might help contribute to the look. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromatic_aberration
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    SHEPEIRO wrote: »
    if you can adam, to get the vintage film effect, use a vignette type mask to reduce the saturation and contrast at the edges of the image while increasing it in the centre, overall the image should be the same overall tone, but it gives quite a nice oldskool effect without being too complex

This... ^^ Vignette would really sell it. Plus it would be easy as hell to do.
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    there may be an example of this in the lastest build, check for material nodes already in the chain...
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Yeah I just saw them too Adam, it's exactly what you want already in there. You just gotta check a few boxes and it's on.
  • myles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    myles polycounter lvl 13
    Hey Adam!
    I know this isn't exactly what your looking for, but as the others have said Chromatic Aberration could work nicely with the scene you have, here's an example of a UDK Chromatic Aberration in the UDK (By Willi Hammes) -
    udk_chromatic_aberration_material_01.jpg

As for the vignette you should use some offset UV's to make a mask around the border of the screen and use a depth test. That probably doesn't make so much sense, I'll try about doing an example tonight.

Cheers!
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vignette is super easy, check example in the package UDK_LUT, you should do spheremask with texture coodinate and a float2 of 0.5, 0.5, set the sphere mask distance to like .4 or or something. Put some pows after that for control then multiply scene color by it.

Also the chromatic abb example above will alias a lot, since the scene texture isn't filtered. You should probably do the offsets 3 or 4 times with smaller increments then blend them to create a soft transition.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Jordan, I just noticed the vignette looks awfull when used with tiledshot (it tiles, obviously), is there a fix for this ?
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    Xoliul wrote: »
    Jordan, I just noticed the vignette looks awfull when used with tiledshot (it tiles, obviously), is there a fix for this ?
    Maybe pre-multiply the effect to the target resolution?
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tiledshot sadly doesn't work with most screen based fx :\