Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Scavenger Redux

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
PatJS polycounter lvl 9
A while back, I started on a post-apocalyptic nomad scavenger character, and I got bogged down both by school and the terrible construction of the model itself. I redesigned the guy from scratch, and this is what I've come up with:

wastelandshamanhipolype.jpg

Orthographic views:
wastelandshamanhipolyor.jpg

The jerry can isn't missing its characteristic indents; I just hid them since they are floating geo and they interfered with the ropes. He also carries a staff, which I have tentatively mocked up here:
staffu.jpg

This guy is supposed to wander through a post-apocalyptic new york scavenging for supplies and useful stuff to barter at settlements for food. He carries a jerry can full of fuel, both for trade and to fuel his hobo-stove (the tin can on his back; I haven't added holes in the high-poly model). He has a Geiger counter on his left backpack strap. His gas mask is a custom job which can use normal replaceable filters (such as painting respirators, industrial filters, military filters), and an emergency heavy-duty filter on the back of his neck. His "staff" works as a walking stick, balance, and has a pry-bar on the bottom for opening things.

I was inspired by the way shamans wear clothing covered in frills and and other things that shake and make noise when they move. I imagine this guy shuffling a bit, stuff clanking as he walks.

crit away!

Replies

• throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Digging it! Especially since I've had Tom Traubert's Blues stuck in my head for the past week. (semi-random, yeah, but I'm in super sleep deprivation)

Not feeling the shoes, he looks more like a work boots kind of guy. The calves look very wrong from the side, they are very straight. What's holding the pouches on his abdomen on? They look like they'd be sitting snug against the coat with that belt, which would add some pretty nice creases there.
  • PatJS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PatJS polycounter lvl 9
    Throttlekitty: Totally forgot about that part of the calves, thanks! Ditto with suspenders, which the torso pouches are clipped to. I'll add those in after I've UVd the model, since it's such flat detail.

I've finished with most of the retopology, and I'd like to know what you guys think. I've never rigged anything, though I've looked at various joint guides from this forum and other places. I'm wondering if it's as necessary with a higher-poly model to do the joint stuff. It doesn't seem like geometry collapse would be as much of an issue, but I don't really know. How do you do the backs of knees and elbows when you have silhouette-crucial folds in the back?

wastelandshamanretopo1.jpg

wastelandshamanretopo2.jpg

Most of the missing stuff is due to mirroring I'll be doing.
    Here's a really quick bake test for the body:

wastelandshamanretopono.jpg
    Ignore the loose strap that got baked onto the side of the coat, I haven't separated that from the highpoly model yet. The gap in the waist is where the coat tails go, I just hid it since it blocked the pants.
  • PatJS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PatJS polycounter lvl 9
    ~lonely thread~

Alright, retopology done, and UV as well. I have a little tweaking to do to the mesh, especially the interior of the overcoat. I'm going to add all the seams, suspenders, and other details to the normal map now, and then get to texturing.

Marmoset:
    wastelandshamanmarmowip.jpg

AO and Normals are 2048x2048
    By patjs at 2010-05-25
  • Avanthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Avanthera polycounter lvl 10
    looks like the normals came out great.
    the only thing i see a probllem with is the end of your duffel roll, did you model that or just us photoshop/crazybump?
  • PatJS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PatJS polycounter lvl 9
    that would be poor modeling in ZBrush. That's a modeling flaw I forgot to fix, apparently.
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    Dang, this is pretty cool. I like it a lot.

What are the two cylinders hanging from his cane?
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nizza_waaarg polycounter lvl 15
    that's awsome man, dig all his accessories and details.

only thing buggin me is his clothes themselves seem really plain. Texturing might just do the trick but little things like seams, a zipper, some patches or anything really would be nice to add interest (as you've got it on pretty much everything else and it looks rad :P).

Gotta hang till textures tho i guess, really cool so far
  • PatJS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PatJS polycounter lvl 9
    Bigjohn: Those are ration cans, you can kind of see the pull tabs from the back.

Nizza_waaarg: Good point, I've done that to the backpack and you're right, it converts it from boring to excellent.
  • PatJS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PatJS polycounter lvl 9
    Been working on the color for this guy. I'm not sure if these will be the final colors for this guy; I'm going to try a number of schemes once I've got him more finished.

He looks kind of flat right now, but I'm hoping that the spec map will help fix that.

I'm also going to get rid of the suspenders pouches and replace them with better ones, the leather button-up stuff is really ugly.

I'm also getting some pretty nasty mesh errors, as seen on the filter can on the back of his neck. These are easy enough to fix, but I'm putting it off due to my crappy export pipeline. XSI 4.2 exports really icky OBJs for some reason; they have messed up normals. For things that don't calculate their own normals (Fallout 3, Marmoset) this results in a really ugly faceted look with bad shading. To get around this, I have to import it into Wings 3D and re-export, which takes forever. Is there anything I can do to fix this from within XSI?
  • PatJS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PatJS polycounter lvl 9
    More texturing in progress!
  • Avanthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Avanthera polycounter lvl 10
    looking good, the roll looks alot better with textures.
    everything looks a bit too clean atm, dont go adding in a ton of grunge in the diffuse or anything, but it looks like the spec could use some grunge to break it up a bit.
    and the rust on the gas can should have less spec than the surrounding metal.
    otherwise, great texturing so far!

and Ive been fighting the same normal problem, dunno what to tell you.
  • tanka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tanka polycounter lvl 12
    I really like his silhouette, even though I'm sure this isn't his final pose. His arched over back, and pointy gas masks gives him the appearance of a scavenging bird, such as a vulture. I don't know if this is intentional or not, but I think it gives him alot of character. :)
  • Cap Hotkill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cap Hotkill polycounter lvl 13
    His arms are too clean, add more dirt and stains. ^^
  • PatJS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PatJS polycounter lvl 9
    Alright, I've removed most texture seams, and I've dirtied things up a bit, though I think I need to go further. I'm not sure how far I can go without obliterating things, and anyways I want it to look like accumulated dirt, not like he just fell into a mud puddle or something.

I also realized that for some reason I just stuck the filter adapter straight into the mask without any transition. I think I have some more modeling to do :(