Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Hiroshi DONE: "Dragon Weaver"

Hiroshi, the main character in my cartoon "Dragon Weaver" is done!!!

This is all i can really do, and care to spend time per character. Good old fashion box modeling, nothing ground breaking though...It represents the art well, and gives the silhouette i want.

NO SMOOTHING GROUPS yet and the arms and legs are stiff straight bc its best for rigging.

I HATE when i get super posed characters for animation...ESP HANDS!!! the real hands on this model are completely stiff..each finger..but it looks funny i so i bent them for the sake of the post...

smoothing groups, textures, and animation coming soon!
Fin_Hiro_Frnt_01.JPG

Fin_Hiro_Frnt_02.JPG

the only other modeling i will do is to fix things for animation...during the test mesh process right before heavy rigging.

Test anim clip for how Hiroshi will animate in the cartoon! Only spent about 30 hours on this clip...3 work days roughly for the whole thing both characters.
http://www.artofbrad.com/images/artwork/Anims/bradm_fight.mov

Replies

• chrisradsby
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Love the proportions man, looks really stylish and great. Checked out the anim clip also, looks really promising. Got sad when the clip ended! :)
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    first of all, i really like what you have so far

but
    ArtOfBrad wrote: »
    I HATE when i get super posed characters for animation...ESP HANDS!!! the real hands on this model are completely stiff..each finger..but it looks funny i so i bent them for the sake of the post...

the hands are off, the anatomy is really strange, especially the thumb been perfectly straight on the side, even if you totally straighten your hand the thumb won't come out of the side of the hand, thats just not how it is built
  • ArtOfBrad
    the anatomy is a super style cartoony style...im not sure how to class my art...anime mix with american cartoon..

the pants are SAGGY..under his clothes his body is proportion pretty close to a normal/pushed. gonna post em up when smoothing groups are all on correctly.

hands are a WHORE....i did some test rotating and animating on the hand, and when in POSE it looks and works fine, but once agian...yes hands are WHORES!!!! haha...

i have a new appreciation for my modelers here at work at Vigil....
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    ArtOfBrad wrote: »
    the anatomy is a super style cartoony style...

is that an excuse for not working anatomy? ;)

toon or not, it builds up on the same basis, maybe you could just check the hands of your workmates, ask bobo or josh i guess they could help you with that :)

as for the overal anatomy, i think its totally fine, sideview might be a bit to stiff and straight compared to the front but nothing you couldn't do in a pose, a bit more attitude in his stance would be nice though
  • ArtOfBrad
    NEOX....no no no....never pose a model thats supposed to be animated...needs to be stiff.....

TRUST me on this....
  • ArtOfBrad
    the is my "post to internet" version at that...the one im rigging is insane straight...DEFORMATION will kill a characters SIlhouette guys...remember this
  • Snader
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Neox isn't talking about a fullblown posing. He means that the character's side view has the arms and legs in a perfect vertical line, instead of slightly relaxed (like you did with the hands).
    posestiffness.jpg
    Quick paintover.
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    well yeah whatever :)
    dozens of top games and movies prove that its not wrong to give the model some attitude before rigging...

however

i still don't get the thumb(and well hand structure) is anatomical incorrect, be it stiff or not its coming wrong out of the hand, just look at your own hand, moving it up so its straight is far from a neutral pose and well you did it right in your concepts ;)
  • Saiainoshi
    Offline / Send Message
    Saiainoshi polycounter lvl 9
    If you're going skinny with the legs, I would also go skinny with the arms and make the hands much bigger. Lookin good :)
  • ArtOfBrad
    saiainoshi...i also thought about that...matching the skinny look with the arms to legs...looked to goofy, and bit like a "teenage" warrior, and doesnt really fit the overall vision i have for this character...ill be doing that with other characters that are more stealthy and sneaky in the cartoon....

Hiroshi has immense power and so i want some gorilla sturdy arms on him....really bulky and round up top...almost a lollipop body...or "GUY" from Super Street Fighter 4.

Neox - def goona look at the hands, but i did pose the hand to a normal shape with the temp rig and it worked out fine, and looked normal....i have some 3d ref. i can look at and try get the placement a bit better...

snader...visually yes the version u did def looks better....but there is no reason to do that during modeling when u can just do that as soon as its rigged and ready...we constantly have to fix models before they are rigged in games...twisted forearms, bent spines, rolled out hips....slightly relaxed arms and legs are fine, but really at that point it doesnt make or break a model. Good photoshop work on the pic though! haha looks cool like that.

KEEP THE CRITS COMING GUYS! I REALLY APPRECIATE IT! SHOOT I MAY BE A DECENT LOW POLY MODELER BY THE TIME MY CARTOON IS DONE!!! HAHA.

This forum is awesome, and ill always be posting up here first! thanks again all. Its awesome to have an audience love ur stuff when its out, but i'd love it more if i had the respect of my peers as well. So i really appreciate the 3d community getting involoved!

HANDS just for NEOX NEXT!!!!
  • marlfox8
    the proportions are off but they make the model look cool. keep it that way.